Question

Posted

Hi guys and girls,

need some help feeling a bit of a dummy. i have the following motherboard.

[b]Asus P5G41TMUSB3 - [url="http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5G41TMUSB3/"]http://uk.asus.com/M...75/P5G41TMUSB3/[/url][/b]

[img]http://uk.asus.com/websites/Global/products/HGzrqjOv2IYvpUxo/MtXHkJd86Gyf0EXW_500.jpg[/img]

What i want to do is purchase one of these: Asus Xonar Pci express sound card, not sure on model just yet.
but will this fit in the slot above the graphics card?

7 answers to this question

Posted

Yes. I don't think I've seen any sound card that is PCIe that isn't PCIe x1.

The slot above the graphics slot is a PCIe x1.

Posted

[quote name='LogicalApex' timestamp='1354928109' post='595376356']
Yes. I don't think I've seen any sound card that is PCIe that isn't PCIe x1.

The slot above the graphics slot is a PCIe x1.
[/quote]
I think he's talking will it fit space-wise.

If that's the case, then yes, your graphics card will likely cover the first PCI slot, but the top PCIe 1x slot will be open with plenty of space for a sound card.

Posted

I have the Xonar Essence STX card, and it fits fine into the PCIex slot at the bottom of my board; it will fit fine into your top slot as long as your video card isn't too thick. And FYI, the Xonar card will need a power cable plugged into it as well.

Posted

thank you for all the posts... yeah i was going to get PCI version, but it would block the fan too much why i was hoping i could put it above the GFX card.

Posted

a pci express 1 card can fit and work in a regular PCI slot. You can plug the sound card anywhere you want on your motherboard except the graphic port

Posted

[quote name='azspeedbullet' timestamp='1355110282' post='595380366']
a pci express 1 card can fit and work in a regular PCI slot. You can plug the sound card anywhere you want on your motherboard except the graphic port
[/quote]

PCI-e cards will not work in PCI slots; they won't even plug into them. I believe you may be thinking of the different types of PCI-express slots, in which case yes an x1 card will work in any size PCI-e slot.

Posted

[quote name='azspeedbullet' timestamp='1355110282' post='595380366']
[/quote]
yeah, PCI and PCI-e are two different protocols. that doesnt work. You may just be confusing the fact that you can fit a x1 pci-e card into an x4/8/16.