No GFWL for Bioshock Infinite

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 08 December 2012 - 14:49

Straight from the horses mouth. None of that damn GFWL.

#2 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Apple iPhone 4S

Posted 08 December 2012 - 15:05

Ah good, it's a horrid piece of software that needs to die. The only thing keeping me from installing DiRT 2 again.

#3 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 08 December 2012 - 15:08

Great news. GFWL is an abomination. In fact, ever since the release of the Xbox it seems like Microsoft has been trying to actively sabotage PC gaming.

Ah good, it's a horrid piece of software that needs to die. The only thing keeping me from installing DiRT 2 again.

Yeah. I'm really glad that DiRT Showdown opted to use Steamworks.

#4 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 08 December 2012 - 18:43

Good :)

#5 coresx

coresx

Neowinian

Posted 08 December 2012 - 19:05

Does anyone else think it's weird that Microsoft don't try harder with PC gaming ?

I know they have Xbox but surely both could co-exist. Look at how succesful Steam is for example. Money to be made.

It's embarassing seeing GFWL as it is today and has been for many years.

Whether it's a good thing Microsoft ignore it, I'm not sure. More of the same would be disappointing. There would be a chance to rock the boat with something new but looking at Xbox, no thanks on the PC side.

I just feel there is room to improve, even past Steam and maybe Microsoft is big enough to do it.

Anyway, good news with no GFWL on Bioshock Infinite.

#6 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 08 December 2012 - 19:11

Microsoft didn't ignore PC gaming. GFWL was their attempt to capitalize on PC gaming after the Steam store caught on. Their problem was that the fruit of their labour was so tragically crap that people thought they were trying to sabotage PC gaming.

#7 coresx

coresx

Neowinian

Posted 08 December 2012 - 19:35

They tried paying for online and that went down like a lead balloon. Their attempt was crap but they never improved on it other than bug fixes. Last update was years ago.

Why haven't they done anything in years ?

Has the Xbox team just told them to **** off to their tiny corner in the office or has Windows just drowned them into having no say and power at all.

I imagine it's a bit of both. Microsoft are trying to intergrate things, Xbox into Windows, Avatars and all. GWFL uses the same back end but they, like the Xbox team seem to get thrown about without any direction. Windows stamps on both, they can't get any say other than put some games on the marketplace.

#8 paxa

paxa

Neowinian

Posted 08 December 2012 - 20:05

thank you...thank you...thank you. that's some great news indeed.

#9 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 8.1 Emterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520 Black

Posted 08 December 2012 - 20:10

Steam and GFWL getting in the way of you and your games. How about you give me the game without all the social networking non standard ports bullcrap in the background ?

#10 spy beef

spy beef

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 December 2012 - 20:24

WTF? I will not be buying this game :angry:

#11 hairbautt

hairbautt

*haircut

Posted 08 December 2012 - 20:32

Isn't GfWL dead anyways? It doesn't even display the store anymore much less receive updates.

#12 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 09 December 2012 - 00:24

Isn't GfWL dead anyways? It doesn't even display the store anymore much less receive updates.

They moved the PC game listing to xbox.com now. As for GfWL it's been replaced with the Xbox Live service in Windows 8 itself. There are already games you can d/l through the windows store that use it and give you achievements etc. Also games in the works that let you jump between Xbox and PC and keep playing. I don't know the specifics but I don't think a game has to be sold through the store or be a metro game to use it but I haven't read up on it.

As far as MS trying to kill PC gaming, that's just silly. If anything with Vista and the new driver model they've made gaming a bit more stable than it used to be. Toss in the advances in DirectX 10 and 11 and I'd say PC gaming is looking good. Sure they don't directly feed you the games like steam (not yet anyways, we'll see where the windows store goes) but they haven't stopped working on the platform regardless of what people think.

#13 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 December 2012 - 00:29

Good. GWFL is friggin awful, I ended up stopping Bioshock 2 MP because of the constant disconnection issues and issues finding servers playing with them. It's a mystery to me that Bioshock 2 was sold on Steam but not integrated with Steam's multiplayer gaming features.

#14 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:12

Like it or not, having xbox live achievements in games actually sells extra copies, especially for older games that don't sell as well anymore
Whether is helps or hurts sales on the long run, since we wont have a comparison, we'll never know.

#15 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:24

I'm more of an old school gamer, not really an achievement ######.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!