Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Question

Posted

I just bought a new 2.3Ghz I& Mac Mini with 16GB of ram. In my current computer I have a Patriot Inferno 128GB SSD. I have been looking at a Samsung 830 128GB SSD. I have compared benchmarks between the two and the Samsung is faster. However, will I notice much of a real world difference between the Samsung and Patriot? I use my current computer for some Photoshop (nothing major), I run ARCGIS in Parallels on Windows 7 that deals with huge .tiff files, (100-200MB). I also have Civilization 5 installed in Parallels. Most of the things I use OSX for are schoolwork, general web surfing and copying filed to and from my file-server.

I think I am essentially asking for someone to talk me out of purchasing the 830. The performance difference in the tests alone justifies the upgrade. However, if I'm not going to notice much of a real world difference then I am better off keeping my money and my current SSD.

Thanks,

Han

3 answers to this question

Posted

That me put it this way: you will never be happy unless you buy the more expensive one. . .then again who knows. I wouldn't. . . :D

Posted

[img]http://www.cdrlabs.com/images/stories/reviews/samsung_ssd_830/samsung%20830%20ssd%20as%20ssd.png[/img][img]http://img.hexus.net/v2/SSD/Patriot/Inferno_120GB/AS_SSD.jpg[/img]
To be honest you would be hard pressed to notice the difference. They seem to be fairly evenly matched in synthetic benchmarks doing uncompressible random data transfers which is what the drive will be doing the most. Not worth the upgrade.

Posted

[quote name='TheLegendOfMart' timestamp='1355124793' post='595380620']

To be honest you would be hard pressed to notice the difference. They seem to be fairly evenly matched in synthetic benchmarks doing uncompressible random data transfers which is what the drive will be doing the most. Not worth the upgrade.
[/quote]

Thank You. That's exactly what I needed to know. Helped me save some money!