Question

Posted

[color=#263034][font=Arial, sans-serif]A password-cracking expert has unveiled a computer cluster that can cycle through as many as 350 billion guesses per second. It's an almost unprecedented speed that can try every possible Windows passcode in the typical enterprise in less than six hours.[/font][/color]

[color=#263034][font=Arial, sans-serif]The five-server system uses a relatively new package of virtualization software that harnesses the power of 25 AMD Radeon graphics cards. It achieves the 350 billion-guess-per-second speed when cracking password hashes generated by the NTLM cryptographic algorithm that Microsoft has included in every version of Windows since Server 2003. As a result, it can try an astounding 95[sup]8[/sup] combinations in just 5.5 hours, enough to brute force every possible eight-character password containing upper- and lower-case letters, digits, and symbols. Such password policies are common in many enterprise settings. The same passwords protected by Microsoft's LM algorithm

4 answers to this question

Posted

seems to me that people should be using more than 8 characters these days, but i know better. people love their simple P455w0rd5, and letmein's

impressive stuff, of course, but i dont think it's very scary for businesses. a cracker/hacker would need to gain access to the domain first. if they can, the business has much bigger problems...

Posted

A Windows password doesn't exactly keep your things secure :p I use that as a security against classmates posting messages to my Facebook or my mom using my Windows account. For anything else you should really be using proper file-level encryption with a secure and long password.

Posted

Story is misleading - this is an offline hack and 8 character passwords aren't really considered secure to begin with.

Posted

Now that is scary.... but
[img]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/000/040/660/208x228_Joseph-Ducreux-HEY-THEE-FINE-SIR-YOUR-PERSONAL-DEVICE-CAN-IT-RUN-CRYSIS.jpg[/img]

(just kidding)

The question is how much heat and power is the machine using???
I personally have seen 20 monitors with 10 cards each dual display. This takes the cake...