Back To OSX Snow Leopard.

osx snow leopard

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:39

Install Windows - it'll be much more responsive. Mac OS X is a hog on resources, and has poor window management.

#17 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:41

I've actually been working with iMessage and the Notification center and it's pretty awesome to me. :D Although I'm gonna have to reorganize my contacts all over again.

I honestly think using iMessage on OS X is a lot easier than iOS due to typing your messages faster. I seem to have a stress for trying to hurry up my messages. :/

That is good and dandy if you have iPhones but my GF or I no longer have iPhones so its really useless to me.

#18 Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:45

That is good and dandy if you have iPhones but my GF or I no longer have iPhones so its really useless to me.

If the whole world had iOS, OS X, and iMessage, we'd all be at peace. But since we young teenagers must ask each other over and over to get another IM we both may possibly have open, nobody wins. :rofl:

#19 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 6 128GB

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:58

When I had a Mac I found the biggest problems could be pretty much traced back to the video card drivers and the OpenGL stack. The issues appeared in Lion such as artifacts in the redrawing of interface elements or laggy/quirkiness but these issues became worse in Mountain Lion as more interface elements moved to being drawn with the GPU via the use of Core Animation. End of the day I think the yearly upgrades really are unrealistic unless you keep the list of features very low and spend the majority of the time cleaning up what seems to be an ever increasing laundry list of bugs that need addressing.

#20 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:08

When I had a Mac I found the biggest problems could be pretty much traced back to the video card drivers and the OpenGL stack. The issues appeared in Lion such as artifacts in the redrawing of interface elements or laggy/quirkiness but these issues became worse in Mountain Lion as more interface elements moved to being drawn with the GPU via the use of Core Animation. End of the day I think the yearly upgrades really are unrealistic unless you keep the list of features very low and spend the majority of the time cleaning up what seems to be an ever increasing laundry list of bugs that need addressing.

Seems the industry is heading towards more progressive and periodic "major" versions. MS has indicated that they are going to be taking Windows in a similar direction and appear to be converging on a 2 year release schedule. I can think of some other engineering software packages I use that at one time got updated every couple of years (major update that they think you should pay rather than just receive a free update because there is new features) and these days they have major releases every year.

Wow, we actually went a whole page worth of posts before the "just install Windows" post. Maybe times are changing... maybe times are...changing... :woot: :punk:

#21 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 6 128GB

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:13

Seems the industry is heading towards more progressive and periodic "major" versions. MS has indicated that they are going to be taking Windows in a similar direction and appear to be converging on a 2 year release schedule. I can think of some other engineering software packages I use that at one time got updated every couple of years (major update that they think you should pay rather than just receive a free update because there is new features) and these days they have major releases every year.

Wow, we actually went a whole page worth of posts before the "just install Windows" post. Maybe times are changing... maybe times are...changing... :woot: :punk:

I could see Microsoft probably have a reduced price and release, like you said, a version ever 2 years. With that being said I don't think there will be a huge feature changes but rather incremental where time is spent refining and tidying things up rather than massive overhauls ala Windows Vista. Windows Vista needed to occur as it formed the foundation going forward and the work with WinMin mean that incremental improvements can be done without all hell breaking loose.

As for the 'just install Windows' posts - maybe some of the posters have grown up and gained some maturity. Hope springs eternal.

#22 myxomatosis

myxomatosis

Shrinking Universe

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:17

Install Windows - it'll be much more responsive. Mac OS X is a hog on resources, and has poor window management.

You’re posting that on the Apple section… are you serious?!

#23 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:15

You’re posting that on the Apple section… are you serious?!

Woops! Didn't notice. :$

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF7mEOn7ofE

Eep!

#24 .bin

.bin

I'm here for the free cookies!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:49

I've actually been working with iMessage and the Notification center and it's pretty awesome to me. :D Although I'm gonna have to reorganize my contacts all over again.

I honestly think using iMessage on OS X is a lot easier than iOS due to typing your messages faster. I seem to have a stress for trying to hurry up my messages. :/

That's awesome, I'm in the same boat as you - Especially when I send around 100 messages a day - Love using iMessage on OS X.... Working a treat here on Lion.

#25 Midgetman

Midgetman

Neowinian

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:24

one thing i found was that my 15" early 2011 MBP was until i put in 8gb of ram it ran like crap, but since i put the 8gb in and even moreso since i put in an ssd it runs like a dream!

#26 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:57

There is something definitely not right with ML. Even the Apps store opens faster and works better with SL. I no longer see lag on the UI or in the apps store.

The App Store is just a website inside a wrapper so I kinda wonder how that would even be possible.

#27 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 11 December 2012 - 13:50

To that I wanted to add: Scrolling performance of the App Store page (especially the main page) has always been terrible on my iMac.

#28 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 December 2012 - 17:00

i found ML got it's responsiveness back, to the same level as SL in 10.8.2 earlier versions were a bit laggy.

#29 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 14 December 2012 - 17:20

The App Store is just a website inside a wrapper so I kinda wonder how that would even be possible.

On Lion and Snow Leopard before I installed my SSD in my MacBook, the App Store LAAGGGGGEEED!! I don't get it either. There isn't a whole lot going on there other than downloading from their website. The whole interface just lagged. After I installed the SSD, App Store was extremely snappy.

#30 TrekRich

TrekRich

Neowinian

Posted 14 December 2012 - 17:42

How much RAM do you have in your machine?