Appalling Amazon UK service

So, I just experienced the worst customer service in my life with Amazon UK.

On Wednesday 28 November I ordered a SanDisk 64GB MicroSD card with Frustration-free packaging from Amazon.co.uk - shipped with Super Saver Delivery to Belgium. This one to be precise. The day after (29th) I got an email from Amazon with a tracking number as the item was dispatched. Estimated date of delivery: 3 December.

That is the last I heard. The tracking number only showed that the number was registered but the item was never scanned by the handler, they never received it (Belgian Post). When I contacted Amazon chat support on Friday (7 Dec) evening they said I had to wait 'till Monday (10 dec) evening since that's when the 10 day delivery maximum would kick in. So when nothing arrived on Monday I chatted them again that evening. The operator said he had 'instructed' the Belgian Post to deliver the item by Tuesday.

Of course nothing arrived and still no updates on the tracking page. So this afternoon I opened up chat again. The chat guy said the item was lost in transit and sent me a new one. I asked if they could this time send the regular version (without frustration-free packaging) since that one was in stock - the FFP wasn't anymore for another three weeks. He said that was no problem. I verified this again by linking him this product and asked if that was the exact item he'd send. He confirmed and I was quite satisfied as it should have arrived by the weekend since I now got upgraded to standard delivery.

However, about an hour later when the replacement order was registered I noticed they just made a new order with the original item and it would take UNTIL JANUARY to be delivered. So I started another chat. Seems like the only thing they could do was refund me. I asked if they could just change the item but that was impossible for some reason. I could either wait for the item or wait for the refund to come through, order again and then wait some more for that one to arrive in addition to paying more.

I think this is ridiculous. Why wouldn't they just send me the regular version (which is the exact same by the way) instead? When I clicked my FFP-link in all emails they even sent me to the product page of the regular version.

Bah.

What's even more ridiculous is that when you go to the regular product page for the original item I got it redirects you to the item I wanted as a replacement: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0084DWD4Q/ Why? Because they are exactly the same. But for some reason the idiots at support don't seem to realize that.

I have personally never had any issues with Amazon UK (in fact I love their service), but I can certainly relate to your situation. Similar things have happened to me with other companies and it's usually a hell to sort out - especially when you want the item in question, like, yesterday. I'd say in this case you've had the poor luck of dealing with useless customer service people, and I can only suggest you request a call-back and see if they can sort it out over the phone, which usually works better.

I've never had any problems with Amazon (touch wood). They are one of the few places who seems to deliver when they say they will. I'm sure though if i had to speak to the support department then i would have trouble. Most big companies really fail there. You either get someone foreign or someone who is reading off a webpage.

One place i've had troubles with is Samsung. I was due something from them on the 18th October. It arrived 7th December :laugh:

I had some bad times with Panasonic UK, took them a month to send me a remote control. When you order stuff there is no place to enter an email address so you get no confirmation or anything, anyway, It did not arrive after 10 days i used the customer service web form and never got a reply, then a week later i used a proper email address and still never got a reply. Decided to ring them and the phone number on the printable receipt is the wrong one because it is no longer in use, after finding the right one it took another week to deliver. :/

The problem with shipping stuff overseas is that at some point Amazon have to rely on the courier and customs to work together.

Of items that get lost in transit, the vast majority just don't get through customs for one reason or another - either because customs are being picky about the packaging and documentation (then you'll usually get a letter) or it just flat out gets lost in a depot.

That being said, don't use the live chat service. I've yet to come across any live chat service from any company that isn't manned by utter cretins. Email is the best way to go with Amazon, I find. They normally sort the problem out pretty quickly.

Hope you eventually get the SD card!

The problem with shipping stuff overseas is that at some point Amazon have to rely on the courier and customs to work together.

Of items that get lost in transit, the vast majority just don't get through customs for one reason or another - either because customs are being picky about the packaging and documentation (then you'll usually get a letter) or it just flat out gets lost in a depot.

That being said, don't use the live chat service. I've yet to come across any live chat service from any company that isn't manned by utter cretins. Email is the best way to go with Amazon, I find. They normally sort the problem out pretty quickly.

Hope you eventually get the SD card!

UK -> Belgium (and the rest of Europe) doesn't have any customs business. The problem here just seems to be that Amazon never got the item to the Belgian courier service (that, by the way, has never failed me before and I've sent and received around 50 packages with them over the last few years).

The problem is more that they're not willing to send an equally priced item as a replacement instead.

UK -> Belgium (and the rest of Europe) doesn't have any customs business. The problem here just seems to be that Amazon never got the item to the Belgian courier service (that, by the way, has never failed me before and I've sent and received around 50 packages with them over the last few years).

The problem is more that they're not willing to send an equally priced item as a replacement instead.

Most of the time it is outside of Amazon's control. Once it leaves their warehouse, it's in the hands of the courier. In the UK, that tends to be Royal Mail. So chances are Royal Mail fluffed up your delivery somewhere between Amazon's warehouse and the port.

Most of the time it is outside of Amazon's control. Once it leaves their warehouse, it's in the hands of the courier. In the UK, that tends to be Royal Mail. So chances are Royal Mail fluffed up your delivery somewhere between Amazon's warehouse and the port.

I understand that perfectly. What I don't understand is that they're willing to send me a replacement of the same product, but not of the same-priced same product in a slightly different packaging. It makes zero difference for them.

I've used Amazon.co.uk regularly to deliver films and video games to me in Switzerland, and I've never had any issues with them.

Could you not cancel the order and manually select the replacement piece? Obviously it doesn't solve the issue of the bad service you received, but at least you would get the product earlier than January.

I've used Amazon.co.uk regularly to deliver films and video games to me in Switzerland, and I've never had any issues with them.

Could you not cancel the order and manually select the replacement piece? Obviously it doesn't solve the issue of the bad service you received, but at least you would get the product earlier than January.

Yeah well I did that now, good thing the credit card refund only took about 8 hours and not 2-3 days + bank processing delay. Complained a little on chat and got ?10 store credit so I'm sort of happy anyway. It's nice how they listened to what I had to say and did something about it (this time).

Although not very helpful for your situation, ive never had any problems with Amazon and rate them the highest of all retailers ive experienced both online and in the high street.

Ive brought a camera before that i personally didn't like, they paid for it to be shipped back to them, nothing wrong with it i just didn't get on with it, trying the same thing in jessops or currys would be an exercise in frustration.

I think sometimes these things will happen the only way is to ride it out, shame you won't get it before christmas, you could always try another supplier such as

aria.co.uk

ebuyer.com

dabs.com

They might do it in time for christmas.

I had a bad experience with amazon UK and I am in the UK,

I ordered and paid for something and paid extra for the top fastest delivery service, 5 days later it had not even been dispatched so I cancelled my order

Never used amazon again since

I've always had great service from Amazon themselves, unfortunately they sometimes you shoddy delivery companies, I'm trying to return some shoes that arrived scuffed and damaged. So far Yodel (the delivery company) have failed to collect on 4 occasions.

I've had my fair share of problems with Amazon UK - mainly with their "no so guaranteed" prime delivery service.

They advertise guaranteed next day delivery, which is fine if you pay extra for the delivery since they'll refund that, but if you're a prime member, you're SOL if it doesn't arrive. They just see it as tough luck, and blame royal mail.

I've had "prime guaranteed" items sent by first class post before - something which the ASA have had a go at them for.

I've always had great service from Amazon themselves, unfortunately they sometimes you shoddy delivery companies, I'm trying to return some shoes that arrived scuffed and damaged. So far Yodel (the delivery company) have failed to collect on 4 occasions.

Yodel are a whole other kettle of fish. They used to be bad when they called themselves Home Delivery Network - now, as Yodel, they're even worse.

I had a bad experience with amazon UK and I am in the UK,

I ordered and paid for something and paid extra for the top fastest delivery service, 5 days later it had not even been dispatched so I cancelled my order

Never used amazon again since

I think that's being a bit silly. I've never used their fast delivery because their standard delivery is usually more than fast enough. I've ordered games & gotten them on release day with the free delivery option.

Amazon costumer service has always been fantastic at quickly dealing with any issues.

Never had troubles here. even used next day a few times and its always been the very next day.

UK to EU does have customs, ofcourse it does, otherwise you could send anything and everything to anyone!

Any delivery leaving/entering any country will be checked.

They probably could't send you the other one because all of that will be handled my amazons propriety software, which probably wouldn't let the help desk people edit orders. So therefore all they can do is refund/resend.

This is why I never order anything from outside the UK, its nearly always a hassle. However, I do understand that you wanted to use Amazon. probably because there is nothing similar in belgium?

Same! Never had a package held up by Swiss customs, stuff gets here within 2-4 days, it's brilliant and about 1/2 the price of buying stuff locally!

Never had troubles here. even used next day a few times and its always been the very next day.

UK to EU does have customs, ofcourse it does, otherwise you could send anything and everything to anyone!

Any delivery leaving/entering any country will be checked.

They probably could't send you the other one because all of that will be handled my amazons propriety software, which probably wouldn't let the help desk people edit orders. So therefore all they can do is refund/resend.

This is why I never order anything from outside the UK, its nearly always a hassle. However, I do understand that you wanted to use Amazon. probably because there is nothing similar in belgium?

Well he could also use Amazon France / Germany, but for some weird reason Amazon UK tends to have better prices once you take the VAT off.

Well he could also use Amazon France / Germany, but for some weird reason Amazon UK tends to have better prices once you take the VAT off.

Not really strange at all, VAT is 20%, of course that's going to make it cheaper :) (wish I could take the VAT off lol, we get taxed on everything here)

I've had a few problems with Amazon in the past but they still stand up as the most reliable with the best customer service of any online shop.

I once ordered a book at 7pm at night and it was at my door by 7 the next morning. I don't know how that's even physically possible!

Just got unlucky this time Ambroos, but on the plus side, they have tried to make amends for the mistakes.

Not really strange at all, VAT is 20%, of course that's going to make it cheaper :) (wish I could take the VAT off lol, we get taxed on everything here)

I mean it's strange in that prices without tax are cheaper on Amazon UK for many things. Product A on Amazon UK can be ?10 before tax, Product A on Amazon DE can be ?15 before tax.

Well there is indeed something customs-ish when you order things from the UK to Europe, but you'll never, ever have to pay anything additional. The customs are there because you guys aren't in the Schengen area, but since we're all in the European Economic Community (I think it's because of that at least but I might be wrong) you never pay import VAT (unlike ordering from the US for example).

Why I don't order from Amazon.de or Amazon.fr: I do, but not a lot. There are some things I couldn't find on Amazon UK. Usually they're more expensive or don't ship to Belgium. And while I can find my way around a German or French site quite easily I wouldn't want to have to deal with customer support in German. French is okay. They also seem to have more 3rd-party retailers selling through their site, and those either don't ship to Belgium or charge huge delivery costs. When it's sold (or at least 'fulfilled'/sent) by Amazon you have Free Super Saver Delivery and stuff like that.

Why I don't order from Belgian companies? Because there are very few to none or they're extremely expensive. I now got a 64GB MicroSDXC (Class 10/UHS) for around ?50, the regular retail price here is around ?95 for those and the cheapest I found on online retailers is ?65.

I actually don't know a single really Belgian retailer that offers a large range of products. There is Tones.be for PC hardware (which is great but doesn't offer that much choice) but all other retailers that have a 'Belgian' site are actually Dutch retailers offering support for Belgian online payment systems. Very few Belgians have (or like to use) a credit card, let alone online. People actually prefer paying more but having a physical point of presence (aka a store) than save (a lot of) money and buy things online. Result of that? All Belgian retail prices are outrageously high. I never buy anything in a physical store any more since it's just really, really expensive.

Got a vacuum cleaner for the mum recently. I paid ?149 online in a Dutch store (the price did go up with ?30, it was a while ago), with free one-day delivery (and it really was one-day). All Belgian retailers I found selling the exact same product asked ?239 or more! Belgium sucks. Which is why I'll be moving to Sweden, Denmark or the UK when I'm done with my studies (which, on the other hand, are sort of almost free in Belgium).

Ambroos, I work for Amazon UK CS and I'm sorry you weren't happy with our customer services.

I would like to explain a few things though.

When you create an order, as soon as it enters the dispatched state then it's gone to the carrier and apart from contacting the carrier and getting them to trace any delivery there's not much else we can do for you.

After your estimated delivery date, if you haven't received your order yet we are actually unable to create a replacement (without a special concession which we have to get a team leader to do and if they don't agree with the reason they just won't do it) because we have an agreement with our carriers to give them a certain time to deliver before we replace, if we have to replace then the carrier loses money. So, for super saver delivery we cannot create a replacement order for 8 days after that cos we have an agreement with carriers to give them 8 days to deliver or trace any problems.

If we do create a replacement order then we can only create it using the original order (We have 3 buttons at the bottom of each order "Replace/Refund", "Cancel" and "Issue Prime Concession" and when we use the replace/refund there are only certain reasons we can choose) which means we cannot change the item ordered, we're not given the choice, the only thing we can change is the delivery address or the delivery method (i.e. First Class, Standard, Express, etc).

If you don't want the same item in a replacement order then the only other alternative we have, as a customer service agent, is to refund the original order and have you create a new order.

When we refund your order it's sent back to the same payment method you used to pay for it, so if it was a credit card, the money goes back to the same credit card, if it was a gift certificate then the money goes back to the balance of that gift certificate.

So, I'm afraid the person who dealt with you did all they could with the system we're given.

Here's a link that explains all the taxes on various items we sell and deliver internationally:

http://www.amazon.co...1?nodeId=502578

I can assure you we do try to give as good service as we can, we're constantly told our aim to be the "Earth's most customer centric company".

Unlike usual call centres where they want you to deal with as many contacts as possible per hour, our focus with each contact is to make sure we do everything we can to solve the problem stated and if we can't then we explain why we can't.

If you're not happy with the way any CSA has dealt with your query then make sure you say so because everytime we access a customer's order/account we leave a digital fingerprint which can be traced to find out exactly who dealt with your contact. If they've dealth with it poorly/wrongly then they will be pulled up and trained again or whatever other action might be necessary.