• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,108 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 11 December 2012 - 17:02

So, I just experienced the worst customer service in my life with Amazon UK.

On Wednesday 28 November I ordered a SanDisk 64GB MicroSD card with Frustration-free packaging from Amazon.co.uk - shipped with Super Saver Delivery to Belgium. This one to be precise. The day after (29th) I got an email from Amazon with a tracking number as the item was dispatched. Estimated date of delivery: 3 December.

That is the last I heard. The tracking number only showed that the number was registered but the item was never scanned by the handler, they never received it (Belgian Post). When I contacted Amazon chat support on Friday (7 Dec) evening they said I had to wait 'till Monday (10 dec) evening since that's when the 10 day delivery maximum would kick in. So when nothing arrived on Monday I chatted them again that evening. The operator said he had 'instructed' the Belgian Post to deliver the item by Tuesday.

Of course nothing arrived and still no updates on the tracking page. So this afternoon I opened up chat again. The chat guy said the item was lost in transit and sent me a new one. I asked if they could this time send the regular version (without frustration-free packaging) since that one was in stock - the FFP wasn't anymore for another three weeks. He said that was no problem. I verified this again by linking him this product and asked if that was the exact item he'd send. He confirmed and I was quite satisfied as it should have arrived by the weekend since I now got upgraded to standard delivery.

However, about an hour later when the replacement order was registered I noticed they just made a new order with the original item and it would take UNTIL JANUARY to be delivered. So I started another chat. Seems like the only thing they could do was refund me. I asked if they could just change the item but that was impossible for some reason. I could either wait for the item or wait for the refund to come through, order again and then wait some more for that one to arrive in addition to paying more.

I think this is ridiculous. Why wouldn't they just send me the regular version (which is the exact same by the way) instead? When I clicked my FFP-link in all emails they even sent me to the product page of the regular version.

Bah.

What's even more ridiculous is that when you go to the regular product page for the original item I got it redirects you to the item I wanted as a replacement: http://www.amazon.co...uct/B0084DWD4Q/ Why? Because they are exactly the same. But for some reason the idiots at support don't seem to realize that.

#2 Jub Fequois

Jub Fequois

Owlblood

• 935 posts
  • Phone: iPhone

Posted 11 December 2012 - 17:16

I have personally never had any issues with Amazon UK (in fact I love their service), but I can certainly relate to your situation. Similar things have happened to me with other companies and it's usually a hell to sort out - especially when you want the item in question, like, yesterday. I'd say in this case you've had the poor luck of dealing with useless customer service people, and I can only suggest you request a call-back and see if they can sort it out over the phone, which usually works better.

#3 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,724 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 17:28

I've never had any problems with Amazon (touch wood). They are one of the few places who seems to deliver when they say they will. I'm sure though if i had to speak to the support department then i would have trouble. Most big companies really fail there. You either get someone foreign or someone who is reading off a webpage.

One place i've had troubles with is Samsung. I was due something from them on the 18th October. It arrived 7th December :laugh:

#4 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,153 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 17:34

I had some bad times with Panasonic UK, took them a month to send me a remote control. When you order stuff there is no place to enter an email address so you get no confirmation or anything, anyway, It did not arrive after 10 days i used the customer service web form and never got a reply, then a week later i used a proper email address and still never got a reply. Decided to ring them and the phone number on the printable receipt is the wrong one because it is no longer in use, after finding the right one it took another week to deliver. :/

#5 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,865 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 18:00

The problem with shipping stuff overseas is that at some point Amazon have to rely on the courier and customs to work together.

Of items that get lost in transit, the vast majority just don't get through customs for one reason or another - either because customs are being picky about the packaging and documentation (then you'll usually get a letter) or it just flat out gets lost in a depot.

That being said, don't use the live chat service. I've yet to come across any live chat service from any company that isn't manned by utter cretins. Email is the best way to go with Amazon, I find. They normally sort the problem out pretty quickly.

Hope you eventually get the SD card!

#6 OP Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,108 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 18:16

The problem with shipping stuff overseas is that at some point Amazon have to rely on the courier and customs to work together.

Of items that get lost in transit, the vast majority just don't get through customs for one reason or another - either because customs are being picky about the packaging and documentation (then you'll usually get a letter) or it just flat out gets lost in a depot.

That being said, don't use the live chat service. I've yet to come across any live chat service from any company that isn't manned by utter cretins. Email is the best way to go with Amazon, I find. They normally sort the problem out pretty quickly.

Hope you eventually get the SD card!

UK -> Belgium (and the rest of Europe) doesn't have any customs business. The problem here just seems to be that Amazon never got the item to the Belgian courier service (that, by the way, has never failed me before and I've sent and received around 50 packages with them over the last few years).

The problem is more that they're not willing to send an equally priced item as a replacement instead.

#7 Daedroth

Daedroth

Neowinian

• 1,102 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 18:50

UK -> Belgium (and the rest of Europe) doesn't have any customs business. The problem here just seems to be that Amazon never got the item to the Belgian courier service (that, by the way, has never failed me before and I've sent and received around 50 packages with them over the last few years).

The problem is more that they're not willing to send an equally priced item as a replacement instead.

Most of the time it is outside of Amazon's control. Once it leaves their warehouse, it's in the hands of the courier. In the UK, that tends to be Royal Mail. So chances are Royal Mail fluffed up your delivery somewhere between Amazon's warehouse and the port.

#8 OP Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,108 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:20

Most of the time it is outside of Amazon's control. Once it leaves their warehouse, it's in the hands of the courier. In the UK, that tends to be Royal Mail. So chances are Royal Mail fluffed up your delivery somewhere between Amazon's warehouse and the port.

I understand that perfectly. What I don't understand is that they're willing to send me a replacement of the same product, but not of the same-priced same product in a slightly different packaging. It makes zero difference for them.

#9 Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

• 2,659 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:47

They'll only get worse when they have to pay tax

#10 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,476 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:10

I've used Amazon.co.uk regularly to deliver films and video games to me in Switzerland, and I've never had any issues with them.

Could you not cancel the order and manually select the replacement piece? Obviously it doesn't solve the issue of the bad service you received, but at least you would get the product earlier than January.

#11 OP Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,108 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:17

I've used Amazon.co.uk regularly to deliver films and video games to me in Switzerland, and I've never had any issues with them.

Could you not cancel the order and manually select the replacement piece? Obviously it doesn't solve the issue of the bad service you received, but at least you would get the product earlier than January.

Yeah well I did that now, good thing the credit card refund only took about 8 hours and not 2-3 days + bank processing delay. Complained a little on chat and got £10 store credit so I'm sort of happy anyway. It's nice how they listened to what I had to say and did something about it (this time).

#12 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

• 2,274 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:20

Although not very helpful for your situation, ive never had any problems with Amazon and rate them the highest of all retailers ive experienced both online and in the high street.

Ive brought a camera before that i personally didn't like, they paid for it to be shipped back to them, nothing wrong with it i just didn't get on with it, trying the same thing in jessops or currys would be an exercise in frustration.

I think sometimes these things will happen the only way is to ride it out, shame you won't get it before christmas, you could always try another supplier such as

aria.co.uk
ebuyer.com
dabs.com

They might do it in time for christmas.

#13 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:21

I had a bad experience with amazon UK and I am in the UK,

I ordered and paid for something and paid extra for the top fastest delivery service, 5 days later it had not even been dispatched so I cancelled my order

Never used amazon again since

#14 AbandonedTrolley

AbandonedTrolley

Dexter Freak

• 5,301 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:29

I've always had great service from Amazon themselves, unfortunately they sometimes you shoddy delivery companies, I'm trying to return some shoes that arrived scuffed and damaged. So far Yodel (the delivery company) have failed to collect on 4 occasions.

#15 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,641 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:38

I've had my fair share of problems with Amazon UK - mainly with their "no so guaranteed" prime delivery service.

They advertise guaranteed next day delivery, which is fine if you pay extra for the delivery since they'll refund that, but if you're a prime member, you're SOL if it doesn't arrive. They just see it as tough luck, and blame royal mail.

I've had "prime guaranteed" items sent by first class post before - something which the ASA have had a go at them for.

I've always had great service from Amazon themselves, unfortunately they sometimes you shoddy delivery companies, I'm trying to return some shoes that arrived scuffed and damaged. So far Yodel (the delivery company) have failed to collect on 4 occasions.

Yodel are a whole other kettle of fish. They used to be bad when they called themselves Home Delivery Network - now, as Yodel, they're even worse.