• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 14:32

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli: "Crysis 3 maxes out consoles, not even 1% left"

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli is so confident that Crysis 3 will be the most technically accomplished game ever released on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 that he's offered to wage a technological war against current-gen showstoppers Gears of War and Halo.

"Crysis 3 is absolutely maxing out the consoles," Yerli told VideoGamer.com during a recent press tour of the game. "There is absolutely not even 1% left.

"No game will ever look technically better than Crysis 3 on these consoles, flat out. Most games are not even anywhere near Crysis 2 technically. I'm not talking about art style – art is subjective – but the pure fact of what we have been cramming in with Crysis 2 on Xbox [360] and PlayStation [3], I've yet to see a game do that still today.

He continued: "Any day I will take a battle against Gears and Halo, whatever, the amount of data we put in and the detail level is far superior. With Crysis 3 we're pushing that to another level, but the PC is just two levels beyond."

Crysis 3, due for release on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC in February, takes advantage of the latest version of Crytek's engine CryEngine 3, with the PC version making the most of DirectX11 to create "benchmark-setting graphical performance".
Posted Image

The game is so technically impressive, Yerli believes, that the top-end work done on the PC version of the game will rival the graphical capabilities of next-gen consoles.
"That's why we said [two years ago] that Crysis 3 is next-gen ready already," Yerli added. "We did that without knowing the specs [of next-generation consoles], but it's not going to be much more than what we have done so far. And it turns out we were pretty much right."

Yerli's comments suggest that he and his team know all about the capabilities of Microsoft and Sony's next-generation systems. But what exactly is he prepared to let on?
Well, for starters, he thinks that the current high cost of memory and processors means that it's "impossible" for next-gen consoles to make an impact similar to that of the previous generation, and as a result, "the focus of next-gen" is not on graphical horsepower...

Source: Crysis 3 'maxes out consoles', says Crytek CEO, 'not even 1% left' - Crysis 3 for Xbox 360 News

#2 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• 5,561 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 20:15

And that's at lowly 720p. One likely can't see the difference on a telly, but on a monitor (and I'm leaning closer and closer, what a stupid sight!) - it's vital! PC Master Race!

#3 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 13,902 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 20:17

Then why can't we get dx10 on PC ? :mad:

#4 Warboy

Warboy

The Doctor

• 416 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Posted 12 December 2012 - 20:25

Then why can't we get dx10 on PC ? :mad:

what?? their doing DX11 on PC....

#5 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,535 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 20:32

It's disappointing to say the least. Any game not going further than PS3 and 360 is not worthy of the title "technically accomplished".

#6 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,348 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 12 December 2012 - 20:42

According to the system requirements for Crysis 3, it won't support DX9. This affects DX10 users too (like me). Other games that dropped support for DX9 in favour of DX11 also support DX10/10.1.

Anyway, console hardware is outdated. It surprises me when developers like Naughty Dog and SCE Santa Monica Studio can make their games look good. I have Crysis 2 for the Xbox 360 and although it was impressive in terms of image quality, it wasn't great in terms of performance. I hope that they've improved it in that aspect with Crysis 3.

#7 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,028 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 12 December 2012 - 20:45

The vast majority of AAA games have been maxing out the current gen consoles for years, so of course it's not going to be any different with Crysis 3. In fact I'm sure it would be the same with next-gen consoles as well, as that's the entire point of a flexible engine - it scales to the resources available.

As usual, if you want to play games properly you need a decent gaming PC as current consoles can't even come close.

#8 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,182 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 20:52

According to the system requirements for Crysis 3, it won't support DX9. This affects DX10 users too (like me). Other games that dropped support for DX9 in favour of DX11 also support DX10/10.1.

It's not a huge surprise. Even though DX10 and 11 are generally compatible, from what I can tell there's a considerable performance difference between the two.

It does seem sudden, but then we've been stuck with DX9 games long past what many of us consider acceptable.

#9 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,535 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 21:11

It does seem sudden, but then we've been stuck with DX9 games long past what many of us consider acceptable.

Yup

What was the last ATI cards not supporting at least Directx 10 ? The Radeon 9xxx family ? Those cards can't really play newer games anyway.

#10 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 13,902 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 21:53

Yes, but not backward compatibility for DX 10 :/

Anyway, console hardware is outdated. It surprises me when developers like Naughty Dog and SCE Santa Monica Studio can make their games look good. I have Crysis 2 for the Xbox 360 and although it was impressive in terms of image quality, it wasn't great in terms of performance. I hope that they've improved it in that aspect with Crysis 3.

Exactly, my pc is probably 10x more capable than a 360 and I won't be able to play crysis 3 :(

It's not a huge surprise. Even though DX10 and 11 are generally compatible, from what I can tell there's a considerable performance difference between the two.

They can ditch dx9, but not Dx10 :(

#11 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

• 1,331 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 22:00

There's a way to install DX 11 on vista (no hacking required)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3585

They buried it in this update - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971644

#12 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 13,902 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 22:02

There's a way to install DX 11 on vista (no hacking required)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3585

I need it for 7.

Plus, how am I going to run DX11 on a dx10 card :s ?

#13 Silpheed2K

Silpheed2K

Neowinian

• 299 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:38

I suppose this fool never heard of Rage or id Software. Rage and id Tech 5 got the most out of the consoles by making the game look great and running at 60 frames per second. I don't buy this half baked BS from this fool. You only get as much as you can program out of any machine. Claiming you've maxed it out is utter BS. None of what he's saying is true cause all it takes is for a better programmer to come along and prove him wrong.

#14 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,650 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:12

LMAO Rage had N64-quality textures for most of the environments.

#15 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

• 1,768 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:58

Wait DX11 doesn't run on DX10 GPUs? I am pretty sure that is incorrect.
I mean there is software and hardware DX support.

Edited by ArialBlue, 13 December 2012 - 06:00.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!