Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

gaming Crytek CEO: "Crysis 3 maxes out consoles''

29 posts in this topic

Posted

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli: "Crysis 3 maxes out consoles, not even 1% left"

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli is so confident that Crysis 3 will be the most technically accomplished game ever released on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 that he's offered to wage a technological war against current-gen showstoppers Gears of War and Halo.

"Crysis 3 is absolutely maxing out the consoles," Yerli told VideoGamer.com during a recent press tour of the game. "There is absolutely not even 1% left.

"No game will ever look technically better than Crysis 3 on these consoles, flat out. Most games are not even anywhere near Crysis 2 technically. I'm not talking about art style

Posted

And that's at lowly 720p. One likely can't see the difference on a telly, but on a monitor (and I'm leaning closer and closer, what a stupid sight!) - it's vital! PC Master Race!

Posted

Then why can't we get dx10 on PC ? :mad:

Posted

Then why can't we get dx10 on PC ? :mad:

what?? their doing DX11 on PC....

Posted

It's disappointing to say the least. Any game not going further than PS3 and 360 is not worthy of the title "technically accomplished".

2 people like this

Posted

According to the system requirements for Crysis 3, it won't support DX9. This affects DX10 users too (like me). Other games that dropped support for DX9 in favour of DX11 also support DX10/10.1.

Anyway, console hardware is outdated. It surprises me when developers like Naughty Dog and SCE Santa Monica Studio can make their games look good. I have Crysis 2 for the Xbox 360 and although it was impressive in terms of image quality, it wasn't great in terms of performance. I hope that they've improved it in that aspect with Crysis 3.

Posted

The vast majority of AAA games have been maxing out the current gen consoles for years, so of course it's not going to be any different with Crysis 3. In fact I'm sure it would be the same with next-gen consoles as well, as that's the entire point of a flexible engine - it scales to the resources available.

As usual, if you want to play games properly you need a decent gaming PC as current consoles can't even come close.

Posted

According to the system requirements for Crysis 3, it won't support DX9. This affects DX10 users too (like me). Other games that dropped support for DX9 in favour of DX11 also support DX10/10.1.

It's not a huge surprise. Even though DX10 and 11 are generally compatible, from what I can tell there's a considerable performance difference between the two.

It does seem sudden, but then we've been stuck with DX9 games long past what many of us consider acceptable.

Posted

It does seem sudden, but then we've been stuck with DX9 games long past what many of us consider acceptable.

Yup

What was the last ATI cards not supporting at least Directx 10 ? The Radeon 9xxx family ? Those cards can't really play newer games anyway.

Posted

Yes, but not backward compatibility for DX 10 :/

Anyway, console hardware is outdated. It surprises me when developers like Naughty Dog and SCE Santa Monica Studio can make their games look good. I have Crysis 2 for the Xbox 360 and although it was impressive in terms of image quality, it wasn't great in terms of performance. I hope that they've improved it in that aspect with Crysis 3.

Exactly, my pc is probably 10x more capable than a 360 and I won't be able to play crysis 3 :(

It's not a huge surprise. Even though DX10 and 11 are generally compatible, from what I can tell there's a considerable performance difference between the two.

They can ditch dx9, but not Dx10 :(

Posted

There's a way to install DX 11 on vista (no hacking required)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3585

I need it for 7.

Plus, how am I going to run DX11 on a dx10 card :s ?

1 person likes this

Posted

I suppose this fool never heard of Rage or id Software. Rage and id Tech 5 got the most out of the consoles by making the game look great and running at 60 frames per second. I don't buy this half baked BS from this fool. You only get as much as you can program out of any machine. Claiming you've maxed it out is utter BS. None of what he's saying is true cause all it takes is for a better programmer to come along and prove him wrong.

1 person likes this

Posted

LMAO Rage had N64-quality textures for most of the environments.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Wait DX11 doesn't run on DX10 GPUs? I am pretty sure that is incorrect.

I mean there is software and hardware DX support.

Edited by ArialBlue

Posted

While RAGE did look good... from a distance. It's when you came up close to objects that weren't NPC's is when the ugly came out. Graphics weren't horrible overall, but it was weird to have such a beautiful yet ugly game. It was made even worse by the fact that when you did a 180, the environments and objects had to be textured. I had never seen that in a game before, and thought it was tacky.

1 person likes this

Posted

I need it for 7.

Plus, how am I going to run DX11 on a dx10 card :s ?

Windows 7 comes with DX11. Also I don't believe its possible to run DX11 on a DX10 card.

Yup

What was the last ATI cards not supporting at least Directx 10 ? The Radeon 9xxx family ? Those cards can't really play newer games anyway.

Almost. It was 2 after that..the Radeon X1k series was the last to support only DX9.

Posted

I suppose this fool never heard of Rage or id Software. Rage and id Tech 5 got the most out of the consoles by making the game look great and running at 60 frames per second.

You're joking, right? Of course RAGE ran at 60fps - it didn't have dynamic lighting or dynamic skies, it had low resolution textures (just a huge amount of them), it had minimal physics, it used 2D sprites for vegetation and it had incredibly low polygon counts. And all those screenshots were taken at maximum settings. RAGE is the perfect example of what not to do with engine design and that's without even getting into the terrible gameplay.

Posted

Really?

Crytek, we don't care. Max it out to PC hardware and then come brag again.

No 64 bit exe? Gtfo with "it'll melt your PC".

1 person likes this

Posted

There's a way to install DX 11 on vista (no hacking required)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3585

They buried it in this update - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971644

Haha it was a blast to read the comments on the Anandtech article. "Windows 7 sucks I'm not upgrading! I'm sticking with Vista/XP!!!" Sounds very familiar.

1 person likes this

Posted

Whether it maxes ancient hardware or not, I can't wait to play on PC.

Posted

I hope it does push the limits like the original one did. Which will be highly unlikely, but still, I hope :pinch:

Posted

Doesn't mean games can't get better. It just means the engine is maxing the console out, refinements to the engine could still be made and result in a better looking game. I mean the original Crysis couldn't run on consoles, the engine wasn't refined enough, but then they put it on the new Engine for Crysis 2 and suddenly Crysis works on consoles. Someone could make a horrendous looking game with an inefficient engine and still claim to have maxed out consoles.

Posted

Who cares? The gameplay is still the same old thing & the artstyle doesn't appeal to me at all.

Posted

Who cares? The gameplay is still the same old thing & the artstyle doesn't appeal to me at all.

I do.

At least its not that same old %&^*)*(& Call of Duty