Watches...

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• 6,285 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:21

I was flicking through ebay deals and came across these Swiss Legend watches..

I thought they looked great and with 81% off, it was a steal..

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item564fb7c019

Before buying i done some research and most of the reviews lean towards them being rubbish, and that watches always come with an inflated 'made up' price... the price was the same elsewhere.

I decided to hold off but my desire for a watch has grown, i've been looking around and it's all talk about things i have no clue about, movements etc..

Does anyone know anything about these watches or similar watches, are they worth buying? i always thought a watch was a watch, i just dont want to waste money on something rubbish.

#2 Farstrider

Farstrider

The Clash

• 6,311 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:30

These watches are good and well made but they are much bigger than they look and are slightly clunky. As far as I am concerned, I don't mind a nice solid watch but it must not be too big!

Edit: Most of the reviews that I've read all say the same thing: These watches are HUGE and most don't like that and quite a few have returned them because of their size!

#3 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,758 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:47

For that price range, you could get something like this - http://www.watchshop...p99945414.html?

Which, in my opinion, looks much nicer, and less busy.

#4 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

• 3,640 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 00:22

what's your price range? looking for anything in particular? brand? i probably wouldn't pay more than 15-20 quid for a quartz movement.

some of mine.
Posted Image

#5 OP goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• 6,285 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:39

These watches are good and well made but they are much bigger than they look and are slightly clunky. As far as I am concerned, I don't mind a nice solid watch but it must not be too big!

Edit: Most of the reviews that I've read all say the same thing: These watches are HUGE and most don't like that and quite a few have returned them because of their size!

I agree with that, i think in that case i'd like to see it in flesh first.

For that price range, you could get something like this - http://www.watchshop...p99945414.html?

Which, in my opinion, looks much nicer, and less busy.

that's a very nice watch.. it looks quite big also, i think i need to see them first as if it's too big i wouldn't wear it.

what's your price range? looking for anything in particular? brand? i probably wouldn't pay more than 15-20 quid for a quartz movement.

some of mine.
Posted Image

I have absolutely no idea, i don't know brands, whats good, whats rubbish, and whats a good price range for a decent watch... the £90 mark would be ideal, but if that gets u something rubbish i don't mind paying more.

#6 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• 8,383 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 14 December 2012 - 20:22

I have a Bulova Precisionist (<- mine is similar to this one, but a bit more classy looking) watch. They're not too expensive (but a lot more than £90).

My watch doesn't make a ticking sound, the second hand just sweeps round smoothly.

Edit: There it iss... this is my watch: http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/8510156/bulova+precisionist+men's+black+leather+strap+watch/

It's more expensive than I recall! :wacko:

#7 Don't Feed the Wolfie

Don't Feed the Wolfie

Don't sugarcoat it because you'll probably eat that too

• 5,244 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 22:42

For that price range, you could get something like this - http://www.watchshop...p99945414.html? Which, in my opinion, looks much nicer, and less busy.

wow, nice taste, the All black with black leather is sleek as hell! If only I wasn't a poor student :D

#8 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

• 3,640 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 23:15

I agree with that, i think in that case i'd like to see it in flesh first.

that's a very nice watch.. it looks quite big also, i think i need to see them first as if it's too big i wouldn't wear it.

I have absolutely no idea, i don't know brands, whats good, whats rubbish, and whats a good price range for a decent watch... the £90 mark would be ideal, but if that gets u something rubbish i don't mind paying more.

well if you are looking at quartz watches, you could probably spend less than £90. and any old brand would do. you could drop by asda and pick something up. all the quartz watches will operate the same and have the same life span. the quartz movements are only a couple of p in bulk so... i think you should pick up a few inexpensive watches and perhaps develop a taste in a style of watch you like. can go on from there. swiss legend has some affordable automatic watches, so does fossil, seiko, orient. all are a good value proposition for a mechanical watch. there are also chinese mechanical watches which offer a better value. if you want to know more let me know.

#9 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 9,037 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:55

I only wear Fossil watches. They are a good price, and make nice watches. This is my current daily one. I have about 8 laying around.

Posted Image

#10 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• 21,049 posts
  • Phone: An awesome Moto X for $150 off contract.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:00

Nothing like a sleek and elegant watch. Myself I love my Tissot T-Classic with Saphire crystal.

Not too expensive too.

Posted Image

#11 WAR-DOG

WAR-DOG

join me, I have cookies

• 979 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:21

I have a Festina F16569

Posted Image

Payed 160 EUR

#12 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,858 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:33

I'm fortunate enough to own an Omega Speedmaster Professional after saving up and buying a good pre-owned example earlier this year. I love it, not only because of the timeless design (essentially first released in the early 60's and the design has barely changed since then, except for a few cosmetic differences) but also the history of it (worn on Apollo space missions, worn on the moon, etc).

Posted Image

But I also own a number of other far more affordable watches.

Essentially there are three types of watch movements:

* Quartz - battery powered
* Automatic - has a sort of pendulum inside the watch which, as you move around, winds up a mechanical movement
* Manual - you have to wind it up every day before you put it on

Quartz is very popular but usually cheap to produce unless you go into the more high end types of movement. Generally unless you're talking about a very very reputable brand, it'll have a cheap movement in so probably not worth spending a lot of money on ($250 max).

If you fancy a cheap entry into mechanical watches, then have a look at the Seiko 5 watches. They're very affordable, very well made, usually have a display back so you can see the inner workings, and they do a wide range of styles to suit most tastes. I have the fairly well known Seiko 5 'military' style watch and it works great and easy to regulate the time (automatics and mechanicals are generally far less accurate than quartz but can be adjusted to be pretty accurate).

There are some other good brands mentioned here - Tissot are very well known and have been in business for decades, Fossil watches are kinda cool and Parnis are excellent - I have one myself (which is a bit of a shameless homage of a Panerai watch which would normally cost $6000...)

But it's worth saying after all that, this is just my opinion on things - and really if you find a watch you like, regardless of cost, then just buy it. I can't quite get the mindset of people that buy quartz fashion watches at $5000... but each to their own I guess!

Keep us updated on what you end up buying!

#13 typu

typu

Neowinian

• 378 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:41

i go these. i like Tissot. excellent manufactured but still good prices.

Attached Images

• IMG_20130106_102712 (1024x682).jpg

#14 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• 2,985 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:20

I'm fortunate enough to own an Omega Speedmaster Professional after saving up and buying a good pre-owned example earlier this year. I love it, not only because of the timeless design (essentially first released in the early 60's and the design has barely changed since then, except for a few cosmetic differences) but also the history of it (worn on Apollo space missions, worn on the moon, etc).

Posted Image

But I also own a number of other far more affordable watches.

Essentially there are three types of watch movements:

* Quartz - battery powered
* Automatic - has a sort of pendulum inside the watch which, as you move around, winds up a mechanical movement
* Manual - you have to wind it up every day before you put it on

Quartz is very popular but usually cheap to produce unless you go into the more high end types of movement. Generally unless you're talking about a very very reputable brand, it'll have a cheap movement in so probably not worth spending a lot of money on ($250 max).

If you fancy a cheap entry into mechanical watches, then have a look at the Seiko 5 watches. They're very affordable, very well made, usually have a display back so you can see the inner workings, and they do a wide range of styles to suit most tastes. I have the fairly well known Seiko 5 'military' style watch and it works great and easy to regulate the time (automatics and mechanicals are generally far less accurate than quartz but can be adjusted to be pretty accurate).

There are some other good brands mentioned here - Tissot are very well known and have been in business for decades, Fossil watches are kinda cool and Parnis are excellent - I have one myself (which is a bit of a shameless homage of a Panerai watch which would normally cost $6000...)

But it's worth saying after all that, this is just my opinion on things - and really if you find a watch you like, regardless of cost, then just buy it. I can't quite get the mindset of people that buy quartz fashion watches at $5000... but each to their own I guess!

Keep us updated on what you end up buying!

Beautiful Omega and totally agree with the suggestion of going with a Seiko 5 as they are also fantastic watches.
Whilst I agree with the idea of spending any more than $100 on a watch from a fashion brand, I disagree, however, with the idea of paying more than $250 for a Quartz watch (owing two which cost a lot more than that: a Tag Heuer and a Rado).

#15 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:25

i jus use mah phone.... mah big big phone