Watches...

I was flicking through ebay deals and came across these Swiss Legend watches..

I thought they looked great and with 81% off, it was a steal..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-SWISS-LEGEND-GENTS-WATCH-RRP-445-NOW-89-99-A-MASSIVE-81-OFF-RRP-/370704629785?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&var=&hash=item564fb7c019

Before buying i done some research and most of the reviews lean towards them being rubbish, and that watches always come with an inflated 'made up' price... the price was the same elsewhere.

I decided to hold off but my desire for a watch has grown, i've been looking around and it's all talk about things i have no clue about, movements etc..

Does anyone know anything about these watches or similar watches, are they worth buying? i always thought a watch was a watch, i just dont want to waste money on something rubbish.

• Like 1

These watches are good and well made but they are much bigger than they look and are slightly clunky. As far as I am concerned, I don't mind a nice solid watch but it must not be too big!

Edit: Most of the reviews that I've read all say the same thing: These watches are HUGE and most don't like that and quite a few have returned them because of their size!

These watches are good and well made but they are much bigger than they look and are slightly clunky. As far as I am concerned, I don't mind a nice solid watch but it must not be too big!

Edit: Most of the reviews that I've read all say the same thing: These watches are HUGE and most don't like that and quite a few have returned them because of their size!

I agree with that, i think in that case i'd like to see it in flesh first.

For that price range, you could get something like this - http://www.watchshop...p99945414.html?

Which, in my opinion, looks much nicer, and less busy.

that's a very nice watch.. it looks quite big also, i think i need to see them first as if it's too big i wouldn't wear it.

what's your price range? looking for anything in particular? brand? i probably wouldn't pay more than 15-20 quid for a quartz movement.

some of mine.

0be7ca85f6b18f9522e62ec68f642c87.jpg

I have absolutely no idea, i don't know brands, whats good, whats rubbish, and whats a good price range for a decent watch... the ?90 mark would be ideal, but if that gets u something rubbish i don't mind paying more.

I have a Bulova Precisionist (<- mine is similar to this one, but a bit more classy looking) watch. They're not too expensive (but a lot more than ?90).

My watch doesn't make a ticking sound, the second hand just sweeps round smoothly.

Edit: There it iss... this is my watch: http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/8510156/bulova+precisionist+men's+black+leather+strap+watch/

It's more expensive than I recall! :wacko:

I agree with that, i think in that case i'd like to see it in flesh first.

that's a very nice watch.. it looks quite big also, i think i need to see them first as if it's too big i wouldn't wear it.

I have absolutely no idea, i don't know brands, whats good, whats rubbish, and whats a good price range for a decent watch... the ?90 mark would be ideal, but if that gets u something rubbish i don't mind paying more.

well if you are looking at quartz watches, you could probably spend less than ?90. and any old brand would do. you could drop by asda and pick something up. all the quartz watches will operate the same and have the same life span. the quartz movements are only a couple of p in bulk so... i think you should pick up a few inexpensive watches and perhaps develop a taste in a style of watch you like. can go on from there. swiss legend has some affordable automatic watches, so does fossil, seiko, orient. all are a good value proposition for a mechanical watch. there are also chinese mechanical watches which offer a better value. if you want to know more let me know.

• 4 weeks later...

I only wear Fossil watches. They are a good price, and make nice watches. This is my current daily one. I have about 8 laying around.

Me1124.jpg

Nothing like a sleek and elegant watch. Myself I love my Tissot T-Classic with Saphire crystal.

Not too expensive too.

tissot-t-classic-tradition-cuir-chocolat-cadran-blanc.jpg

I'm fortunate enough to own an Omega Speedmaster Professional after saving up and buying a good pre-owned example earlier this year. I love it, not only because of the timeless design (essentially first released in the early 60's and the design has barely changed since then, except for a few cosmetic differences) but also the history of it (worn on Apollo space missions, worn on the moon, etc).

dscf0505e.jpg

But I also own a number of other far more affordable watches.

Essentially there are three types of watch movements:

* Quartz - battery powered

* Automatic - has a sort of pendulum inside the watch which, as you move around, winds up a mechanical movement

* Manual - you have to wind it up every day before you put it on

Quartz is very popular but usually cheap to produce unless you go into the more high end types of movement. Generally unless you're talking about a very very reputable brand, it'll have a cheap movement in so probably not worth spending a lot of money on ($250 max).

If you fancy a cheap entry into mechanical watches, then have a look at the Seiko 5 watches. They're very affordable, very well made, usually have a display back so you can see the inner workings, and they do a wide range of styles to suit most tastes. I have the fairly well known Seiko 5 'military' style watch and it works great and easy to regulate the time (automatics and mechanicals are generally far less accurate than quartz but can be adjusted to be pretty accurate).

There are some other good brands mentioned here - Tissot are very well known and have been in business for decades, Fossil watches are kinda cool and Parnis are excellent - I have one myself (which is a bit of a shameless homage of a Panerai watch which would normally cost $6000...)

But it's worth saying after all that, this is just my opinion on things - and really if you find a watch you like, regardless of cost, then just buy it. I can't quite get the mindset of people that buy quartz fashion watches at $5000... but each to their own I guess!

Keep us updated on what you end up buying!

I'm fortunate enough to own an Omega Speedmaster Professional after saving up and buying a good pre-owned example earlier this year. I love it, not only because of the timeless design (essentially first released in the early 60's and the design has barely changed since then, except for a few cosmetic differences) but also the history of it (worn on Apollo space missions, worn on the moon, etc).

dscf0505e.jpg

* Automatic - has a sort of pendulum inside the watch which, as you move around, winds up a mechanical movement

Quartz is very popular but usually cheap to produce unless you go into the more high end types of movement. Generally unless you're talking about a very very reputable brand, it'll have a cheap movement in so probably not worth spending a lot of money on ($250 max).

If you fancy a cheap entry into mechanical watches, then have a look at the Seiko 5 watches. They're very affordable, very well made, usually have a display back so you can see the inner workings, and they do a wide range of styles to suit most tastes. I have the fairly well known Seiko 5 'military' style watch and it works great and easy to regulate the time (automatics and mechanicals are generally far less accurate than quartz but can be adjusted to be pretty accurate).

There are some other good brands mentioned here - Tissot are very well known and have been in business for decades, Fossil watches are kinda cool and Parnis are excellent - I have one myself (which is a bit of a shameless homage of a Panerai watch which would normally cost $6000...)

But it's worth saying after all that, this is just my opinion on things - and really if you find a watch you like, regardless of cost, then just buy it. I can't quite get the mindset of people that buy quartz fashion watches at $5000... but each to their own I guess!

Beautiful Omega and totally agree with the suggestion of going with a Seiko 5 as they are also fantastic watches.

Whilst I agree with the idea of spending any more than $100 on a watch from a fashion brand, I disagree, however, with the idea of paying more than $250 for a Quartz watch (owing two which cost a lot more than that: a Tag Heuer and a Rado).

I disagree, however, with the idea of paying more than $250 for a Quartz watch (owing two which cost a lot more than that: a Tag Heuer and a Rado).

That's why I said unless buying from a reputable brand - e.g. Tag / Rado :)

That's why I said unless buying from a reputable brand - e.g. Tag / Rado :)

I apologise - I didn't read your post as well as I should have.

and at that point all you are paying into is the brand,

To be fair you could say that of any high end watch really unless you get into the really special stuff.

Look for example at how Rolex increase their prices for watches they've sold for a number of years, year on year.. it's not like the product is costing them more to make really - they're charging more because they can - and people pay it.

However the benefit is that the high end watches tend to hold some good residual value and indeed with Rolex, quite often if you make a purchase and sit on it for 4-5 years it'll be at least worth the same as what you paid for it, if not more if you come to sell it on.

To be fair you could say that of any high end watch really unless you get into the really special stuff.

Look for example at how Rolex increase their prices for watches they've sold for a number of years, year on year.. it's not like the product is costing them more to make really - they're charging more because they can - and people pay it.

However the benefit is that the high end watches tend to hold some good residual value and indeed with Rolex, quite often if you make a purchase and sit on it for 4-5 years it'll be at least worth the same as what you paid for it, if not more if you come to sell it on.

ya, people will pay for it. i just don't see much value in a quartz in comparison to a mechanical. do quartz tags hold good residual value?

ch2565.jpg

This is the watch (Fossil 2565) I bought recently after searching for a good while. It has a special meaning regarding the passing away of my dad this recent summer. I've always wanted to have a good and sturdy watch with the kind of watch band this one has. The watch band itself is darker IRL and it wears off a bit at some places, making those parts look like in that picture. That recoloring looks pretty damn good though, it always looks good on leather IMO.

The reason why it has a special meaning for me is because my dad also always had a watch on his arm. Always a low profile yet manly watch. And I was given part of his pension and I didn't want that money to go to waste. I wanted to buy something worthwhile, something that would have a meaning and something that I'd be able to keep with me for a long time. So that's the reason why I bought this watch and I'm so happy with it.

i got a citizen eco drive gold something.

its too big, heavy, and im starting not to like leather straps - degrades after a while.

still looks pretty though :)

dscf0505e.jpg

Thanks for the info and that is a beautiful watch, i haven't settled on anything yet, i'm going to have a proper look next week.

Swatch watches are ubber crap, they fall apart... from nothing... Damned by my other half as she loves them.

If I could find a reputable dealer for this watch id buy it in a heart beat:

PH1116main.jpg

Beautiful Omega and totally agree with the suggestion of going with a Seiko 5 as they are also fantastic watches.

Whilst I agree with the idea of spending any more than $100 on a watch from a fashion brand, I disagree, however, with the idea of paying more than $250 for a Quartz watch (owing two which cost a lot more than that: a Tag Heuer and a Rado).

well my 10+ year old Seiko Perpetual Calendar Titanium was a lot more than 250and it's worth it, even if I need to send it in to change battery every 5+ years. I do wish they could make a perpetual calendar that's kinetic powered though. most of the Seiko's today don't have the nice blue backplate that made me buy this one for significant savings back then though (they're like half the price today than they where then though)