• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 17,201 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 16 December 2012 - 15:43

I started this thread as a way for people to share their game(s) of the year for 2012.

I will start it off, I am going to share my GOTY and the runner-up.

My GOTY for 2012 is...
The Walking Dead
by Telltale Games
Platform: pretty much everyone know to man, including iOS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU25SUSzqqs

I just finished Episode 5 last night. I actually right away went and posted this on Facebook.

The Walking Dead video game by Telltale Games is truly a triumph.

It did something I was absolutely convinced the medium of video games would not achieve for quite some time, if ever. It made me tear up just like I was watching the end of E.T. The Extra Terrestrial or Forrest Gump or Watership Down. I was seriously, seriously choked up.

I just did not believe the medium of video games was there yet. Ironically the graphics, while beautifully stylized, are hardly the best the video game world has to offer either and are in fact the furthest thing from realistic. I actually believe this choice not to make the characters and graphics realistic helped them achieve the end result of being incredibly moving. If they "The Uncanny Valley" route, it probably would have made things way less believable and effective. Instead they relied on an incredibly moving story, which is all it really takes at the end of the day.

For those who may not know about the game, it is a dialog/decision based action adventure game in which your choices have consequences and affect the outcome of how the game plays out. The modern day equivalent of the choose your own adventure books that were popular, at least in my childhood. Another fairly new aspect of the game was it was broken down into 5 episodes initially, each one released about a month apart. Which really helped create the tension and cliff hanger aspect of both the comic book and television show respectively. However they just recently released all 5 episodes as one stand alone retail game for $30.

if you like video games, you absolutely have to play it. If you are a fan of the show or comic book and just a casual video game player, I think you still need to play it. It is available for the Mac, Windows, XBox 360, PS3, and iOS. Here is more info. Great game, and truly quite an achievement and advancement for the aspect of story telling in video games.

My GOTY for 2012 Runner-Up is...

ZombiU
by Ubisoft
Platform: WiiU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPHPd1EP_c8

I already posted this in the ZombiU thread in the Nintendo console, so just reposting it.

I have to say from what I have played, it seems like for some awful reason this game is not being understood by some of the gaming press. I just cannot see how anyone could really give it a negative review. The game is pretty damn awesome IMHO.

The use of the WiiU's GamePad in this game is about as good of a use that I can possibly imagine a launch title having, and honestly I think it is probably going to go down as one of the overall better uses of the GamePad period. It is without a doubt an enhancement and an extension to the gameplay, and hardly ever feels gimmicky. The only corny use of it so far has been planks on doors, in which you have to tap to remove them. Everything else makes perfect sense. The inventory management element, you look down when you loot most corpses and cabinets, it also is the environment scanner... All of these elements really make great use of the GamePad itself. And they do add a level of tension to the game as well.

ZombiU is very much a CLASSIC survival horror game IMO as it is at times slow and deliberate. This to me is what makes it so damn good actually. It treats the genre as it used to be before it got taken over by trying to be action adventure games as well. In this regards it reminds me some of Silent Hill 1-3. It is also pretty damn brutal as far as just how easy it is to die. One misstep can and does lead to death. There are some infuriating instances early on you will probably die a whole lot in fact. It was those instances however that helped me change my overall approach to the game. This is another great aspect of the game to me. It makes no apologies for things. You do not move on until you figure out a better way. This is another nod to how games used to handle things... there really is not a whole lot of hand holding.

Perhaps the largest critique I read on the negative reviews was the combat felt clunky. This is no doubt the element I think some people are just not getting. The combat being "clunky" is very much deliberate. Call Of Duty style of gameplay this game certainly is not. It is, again, methodical. You are not powerful (at least not within the first 3 hours), and the combat reminds you of this fact. You have to be smart with things. Going in guns blazing so to speak is not going to work. You have to survey the situation, and actually come up with a plan. One that usually consists of things like finding the best area to fight from. And actually taking the time to close doors and barricade them. It is no doubt a thinking mans game, at least to get the most out of it.

I really feel this is probably one of the better survival horror video games to come out in quite some time. It is pretty damn unforgiving, and truly creates a tensions filled atmosphere where you are on edge most of the time.

So I realize not a lot of people will probably be able to even comment about playing the game, as it does not appear that we have a ton of people here on the forum that did pick up a WiiU. Only a handful. To that handful though, I strongly encourage you to pick up this game if you have not done so already. It is definitely a very unique experience overall, I also think for fans of the survival horror genre it is pretty much a must play, and it really is a great example of the WiiU's GamePad being used to enhance a game overall.

So those are my GOTY and Runner-Up. What is yours?

Also be sure to check out the Neogamr podcast this week on Tuesday night, it will be a Year In Games 2012 episode.

#2 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 16 December 2012 - 16:13

...................................... Max Payne 3, and then Deus EX HR. Enough said.

#3 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 17,201 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 16:16

...................................... Max Payne 3, and then Deus EX HR. Enough said.

(Y) Max Payne 3 is pretty much my next pick after Zombi U. Great, great game as well.

#4 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 16:18

Game of the Year
Dishonored

Other honourable mentions
The Walking Dead series
Mass Effect 3
FarCry 3
Lone Survivor
MaxPayne 3
Halo 4

#5 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• 8,481 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 16:20

Top 3:

1. The Walking Dead is mine.
2. Spelunky (XLBA version)
3. Trials: Evolution

If I had a WiiU ZombiU might be on that list.

#6 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,444 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 16 December 2012 - 16:26

Angry Birds Space!

#7 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• 21,068 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 16 December 2012 - 16:32

Mass Effect 3 and Max Payne 3

I also loved the walking dead episodes.

#8 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 9,176 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 16:50

Okay - my own choices:

Game Of The Year - Diablo III (PC/Mac) - Developer/Publisher - Activision Blizzard

For once, a AAA-list game for PC (and OS X) that does NOT require the latest and greatest PC or Mac hardware; not only can it be played on recent or non-recent PCs or Macs, it is even playable on most "Hacks" out of the installer - which can't be said about even most AA-list OS X titles. (Also, how many AAA-list titles are not merely Ultrabook-friendly, but friendly to notebooks and legacy laptops?)

Honorable Mention - Guild Wars 2 (PC/Mac) - Developer/Publisher - ArenaNet

MMORPGs aren't everyone's cup of tea - that much I get. However, the followup to a previous GOTY winner (Guild Wars: Prophecies) rewrites the rules on what to expect from a pay-just-once MMORPG (a genre it founded). While not as hardware-friendly as Diablo III, it's not a hardware-melter, either - even a relatively-recent notebook (or most Ultrabooks) should be able to handle this MMO decently.

Alternative Mention - DC Universe Online (PC/PS3) - Developer/Publisher - Sony Online Entertainment

Free-to-play MMORPGs are loathed by the fans of traditional MMORPGs (though most of them started AS traditional MMORPGs); so far, only two traditional MMOs that have slid into the F2P space have not merely survived, but thrived - and this is one of them, and the only multiplatformer to be thriving as F2P. DLC (though paid) comes out at a decent pace, and, even better, does not detract from the main story one whit. (Even better, it's not pricey - each DLC pack is a mere $10USD.) Still, even the core game sans DLC is a blast to play.

#9 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,763 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 17:02

1. Borderlands 2
Improved on the original in every way. Writing was great, was actually laugh out loud funny and voice acting was some of the best i've seen in a while. The double rainbow easter egg still cracks me up.

I really wanted Assassins Creed 3 to be goty. Since it was first announced it had its name on it. Then they dropped the ball big time on it.

#10 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• 3,893 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 17:03

Halo 4 :D

#11 qdave

qdave

Neowinian Senior

• 16,161 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 17:03

Mass Effect 3!

Other fav games:
Dishonored
Far Cry 3

I see a lot of people liking max payne but i didnt enjoy it as much :(

#12 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• 3,240 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 16 December 2012 - 17:11

My favorite game of this year would probably be Xenoblade Chronicles. One of the best RPGs i've played and definitely worthy of the glowing reviews it got.

#13 Setnom

Setnom

Neowinian

• 1,467 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 17:11

I don't really have a favorite game this year. But the one that surprised me the most was Walking Dead, and the most fun I had was with Borderlands 2.

#14 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,402 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 16 December 2012 - 17:15

Hacknet - http://www.indiedb.com/games/hacknet

#15 Phouchg

Phouchg

has stopped responding

• 5,689 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 18:05

I have been rather out of loop lately due to not having a decent gaming card anymore, failing to manage time and, frankly, having lost passion for yet another thing in my life, actually - gaming; run of the mill PC AAA title worship as it has been. I will say, though, that of what I have seen or played this year, nothing has managed to surprise me so positively as to even award the GOTY.

Excuse me if I pass Mass Effect 3. It's a great interactive movie of which I'm a fan beyond healthy reasoning, with not half-bad shooting segments, but has too many annoyances still. Starting with brainless multiplayer that was and still is being given an unfair amount of attention. Endings are what they are - endings. Didn't bother me nearly as much as, for example, the readiness meter, Jersey Shore and "Ramirez, do everything" now being too... impertinent, feeling like a chore already. Closest runner up, but not quite there.

Excuse me if I pass Max Payne 3. It looks great, but the railroad was too much to bear. I didn't even bother to play past Chapter 11.

Excuse me if I pass Far Cry 3. It looks great, Vaas takes the best character of the decade award, but there's just too much annoyances otherwise.

Excuse me if I pass Codblopstwo - I haven't even played it. Now, first Blops was the only modern COD I kind of liked, so I might be robbing myself here, but the same can be said about its price if it turns out to be shyte.

Excuse me if I even mention Spec Ops: The Line. Of course, it's a brown, dumb as a bag of hammers shooter on rails, not worthy of any kind of titles. But it did do one thing right - it managed to tell that war is not a pretty picture, neither if seen nor if just being imagined in one's head. Mindfsck enging helps, too. For that and that alone I feel it's being neglected.

I flat out refuse to even consider any game which has zombies as its center theme. It probably was annoying well before I was born and it is borderline vexing now. Or do people by chance feel they have so much common with zombies? I don't care if you package it with the lore that rivals the whole Greek mythology and emotions of... whatever - I'll deny and condemn them all out of principle.

Excuse me that I award my GOTY to last years' Twitcher 2. I'm not a great fan of its ARPG mechanics, nor does its lore strike me (in pacticular, because it actually is dark, uncomfortably so at times). But - CDPR continues to play on my "PC Master Race" strings masterfully - free of charge updates to what now is 3.1.2.0, much needed UI mod incorporated into an official update. Couple it to what was a solid game to begin with - the comparatively insane level of graphics detail, the careful manevouring around fantasy classic and D&D gameplay cliches, free of DRM, free little DLCs... this is the one Dragon Age 3 should take a boatload of notes, and not from the overhyped lackluster turd that Schkyrim was and continues to be.