dal2013

Neowinian

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:37

Hi guys,

First post, long time reader.

I have the following laptop... Sony Vaio VPCEJ2B1E/B.CEK

http://www.sony.co.u...eries/vpcej2b1e

Upgraded RAM to 8gb, WIndows 7.

I am wanting to get an SSD put in, hardware is not my speciality so hoping someone here can give some advice...

- Looking at the laptop spec would I get benefit from an SSD?
- Would I need to remove my current hard drive to make room for the SSD or would I not know until I check?
- Where's the best place to buy? I am in the UK... ebay? ebuyer?
- Can I only get certain ones? links to any that would be compatiable would be great!

Hopefully someone can help, Thanks

#2 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:58

All SSD drives are 2.5" and will fit any modern laptop with a SATA interface.

You'll need to remove your existing drive to replace it with the new SSD, unless your laptop supports 2 HDD's. You'll notice a big improvement in speed from boot up to loading programs. Where you shop is your choice, Ebuyer are good but you could get a bargin on eBay. I would recommend not buying an SSD second hand though.

#3 Gary2MBz

Gary2MBz

Sneakier than your worst nightmare.

• Phone: AT&T iPhone 5 32GB - White & Silver

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:10

I'm unfortunately not in the UK but I can recommend the Crucial m4 from firsthand experience in both my rigs. It absolutely makes my 4 year old laptop FLY and on Windows 8! I feel like going for a Samsung 840 in 256GB on my desktop only because space is limited and at the time of purchase, the m4 was and STILL IS the best price/performance/reliability bargain. Here is the price on Amazon UK (Costs roughly 20 USD more than what I paid though :/ )

http://www.amazon.co...55911780&sr=8-2

#4 OP dal2013

dal2013

Neowinian

Posted 19 December 2012 - 13:11

Thanks for both replies guys, really helped!

I can recommend the Crucial m4 from firsthand experience in both my rigs. It absolutely makes my 4 year old laptop FLY and on Windows 8

Definitely interested in this!, taken a look on amazon and ebay and seems like a good one to go for from the reviews.

So lets say I purchase that, I don't have a windows 7 disk so i'm assuming I would need to download a copy of windows 7 if possible and boot from a usb to get it onto the new drive? - Assuming there isn't space for my current hard drive as well as the ssd

Thanks

#5 Gary2MBz

Gary2MBz

Sneakier than your worst nightmare.

• Phone: AT&T iPhone 5 32GB - White & Silver

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:09

Yep pretty much or if you can borrow a disc from a friend as long as it matches the edition you have for the product key to work. USB or DVD installation won't make a difference. Goodluck!

Me personally I'd recommend you get Windows 8 because the store has some neato apps and if you have to resort to paying for a Win7 disc just go for the promotional pricing upgrade if you can. (Will using a clean install work? Technically he does have a drive with Windows 7 and he could tell Microsoft while activating that his hard drive "broke down" when he was attempting the upgrade so he got an SSD replacement. Anyone?)

#6 OP dal2013

dal2013

Neowinian

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:38

All sounds good... what i'm thinking is this...

- Buying this SSD: http://www.amazon.co...55995898&sr=8-1
- Backup anything on my current hdd onto an external and remove from laptop.
- Download windows 7 iso and use my product key for version I am currently using.
- Install new ssd into the laptop
- Booting from usb to do a fresh install of windows 7 on the new SSD
- Upgrading to Windows 8 when install has complete as upgrade price is only £24.99

Anyone see any immediate problems with the above? or should it all run smoothly?

#7 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:56

Overclockers.co.uk have some cracking Weekly Deals! I got most of mine from there. I have also got a OCZ Solid for my Sony Vaio Laptop. I cant fault it at all.

Overclockers.co.uk have some cracking Weekly Deals! I got most of mine from there. I have also got a OCZ Solid for my Sony Vaio Laptop. I cant fault it at all.