Photo

iPhone 5 vs S3, Can't make my mind up..

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#31 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 20 December 2012 - 18:35

1. Removable battery - battery lasts you all day. (battery lasts all day on iPhone 4S+) (options are better than none )
2. SD Card slot (meh, not very important unless you load up your phone with insane amounts of data) (again, having the option is better than not having it. )
3. 2GB RAM (just plain wrong, it's 1 GB RAM, 2 GB is only available in very select markets) ( 2gb is available for all US carriers, were as international versions of S3 got quad core procs and only 1 gig of ram)
4. Dual Core (iPhone 5 is a dual core too) (then how is this an advantage if they're both dual-core?) ( because the S3's processor is faster)
5. 4.8 inch screen - super colorful and bright (iPhone's screen is "super colorful and bright", size is a matter of preference) (while this opinion is a true opinion, when reading and texting and gesturing, bigger is normally better to an extent.)
6. Jelly Bean 4.1.1 (so you're saying the S3 doesn't support 4.2? Interesting) ( hasn't been officially pushed, but yes, the S3 will be able to do 4.2 and a few beyond )
7 Very fast phone. (so is the iPhone)
8. Has unique features the iPhone 5 only dreams of having. (such as?) (True multitasking - IE- watch a video, drag the video into a small box into the corner of my screen, open up my messenger and tell my friend how awesome it is I can text and watch this movie at the same time on my phone ... and other things )
9. Much, much better multitasking than iPhone. (arguable at best, multitasking on iOS is beyond simple) )There is no comparison, andriod is a true multitasker , where as iOS is very simplistic and minimilistic in it's ability to truely allow 2 things to go on at once beyond hearing your music and sending a text or something :p )

#32 Kaze23

Kaze23

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 20 December 2012 - 18:44

1. The S3 from AT&T has 2GB of RAM...So you are wrong.
2. I didn't say the S3 did not support Android 4.2, YOU did. I said it comes with Android 4.1.1
3. Being able to remove the battery DOES matter.
4. Having an SD Card DOES matter
5. You are nothing but an Apple fanboy

1. My mistake then. Canadian version has 1 GB RAM.
2. Again, I don't see how that's a selling point if a better version of Android is in the marketplace but hasn't been pushed out for the S3.
3. If the battery is terrible, sure. Haven't had that issue yet.
4. If you run out of space, sure. Again, on a phone, hard to do.
5. Nice one. The iPhone is actually the only Apple device I own.

#33 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 18:52

I honestly don't understand the point of this thread, especially since the OP is so incoherent with his opinions/facts. OP already owns a S3, obviously doesn't like it, so....get an iphone5??? Isn't that the next logical "smart phone move" If you pose a question you've already answered yourself.... what's even the point ?

#34 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 20 December 2012 - 18:52

It's the principle behind a pentile display. It has an inferior pixel pattern which makes it easily noticeable at normal viewing distance.
http://www.androidau...pentile-121182/

I still have the S3 at home in the box and have put the iPhone next to it, in which the difference is night and day. You can't pick out the pixels on the iPhone even if your face is mashed on the screen. You can pick out the jagged edges on the S3 from 2 feet from your eyes. A pentile display is crap quality, but lasts longer, which is a pretty stupid trade off, in my opinion. As if anybody is going to keep the S3 for over a decade.

You definitely don't need a microscope to easily pick up on the difference:
http://i-cdn.phonear...rison-3-jpg.jpg
http://i-cdn.phonear...rison-1-jpg.jpg

If I can survive driving home thru the blizzard today, I'll take a picture of the S3 and I'm willing to bet you'll be able to distinguish the pixels.

Still having trouble seeing the horrible display that is all pixelated... except on that one you showed that was zoomed in beyond what anyone would every actually do. I have the S3, friend has the iphone 5, but screens are great, and I can't tell the difference in them, except for color saturation, which since I like more, I go with the S3, while the I5 provides a little more realistic tones.
But for the screens, there aren't pixels. I'm looking at mine right now, widgets, apps, text, alarm clock... can't see them. Phone probably 6 inches from my face too.
Of course, it will be harder to see a pixel on a phone that is the size of the display screen screen of my phone :p

#35 joemailey

joemailey

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 December 2012 - 18:54

I used the S3 yesterday for about 12hrs, I ended up switching back to my iPhone 4s.

I did love a few things about the S3:

Loved the big screen, although I found it slightly to big.
Loved the widgets, although couldn't really find a use for them. Liked the weather widget that was part of touchwiz.

Think the main thing I liked about it, was it just felt fresh, compared to iOS being a bit boring.

I found the keyboard a bit annoying to type with and also give swiftkey a go, which was a big improvement on the stock keyboard. But still didn't find it as easy to type on as the iOS keyboard.

In the end I switched back to the 4s because it just felt a bit nicer to use and I didn't really use anything on the S3 that the 4s couldn't do, although it's a bit boring compared to the S3 but that's what happens when iOS hasn't changed much since the beginning.

Would like the edition of widgets to iOS, something just to freshen up the OS a bit, make it a bit more lively. If I was a new use to either Android or iOS it would be a very difficult choice between which one I'd choose.

#36 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 20 December 2012 - 19:00

Still having trouble seeing the horrible display that is all pixelated... except on that one you showed that was zoomed in beyond what anyone would every actually do. I have the S3, friend has the iphone 5, but screens are great, and I can't tell the difference in them, except for color saturation, which since I like more, I go with the S3, while the I5 provides a little more realistic tones.
But for the screens, there aren't pixels. I'm looking at mine right now, widgets, apps, text, alarm clock... can't see them. Phone probably 6 inches from my face too.
Of course, it will be harder to see a pixel on a phone that is the size of the display screen screen of my phone :p

If I remember correctly, I was able to notice the pixels easiest on the green phone icon and anything round. I can't tell from looking at screenshots since my lcd monitor here at work is probably worse clarity than the S3. :laugh: I'll fire it up and take another look when I get home.

#37 vetJohn S.

John S.

 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 20 December 2012 - 19:05

thread cleaned

#38 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: An awesome Moto X for $150 off contract.

Posted 20 December 2012 - 19:07

May I suggest another alternative?

HTC ONE X

#39 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 20 December 2012 - 19:12

htc one x+ :shifty: :p
Htc butterfly!

#40 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 20 December 2012 - 19:16

I have 15/20 vision and I can't see any pixels on my Galaxy Note 2. You people must be using zoom glasses. That is ridiculous.

#41 +OOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOO

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 December 2012 - 19:32

Oh, and the iPhone 5's screen is WAY brighter ... the screen tech in the S3 is a more dull AMOLED screen which physically is incapable of displaying white as white. I am a designer, leading the Android team ... and believe me, it's a royal pain in my ass ... :D

#42 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 20 December 2012 - 19:44

The choice is obvious and a no-brainer: Galaxy S3
Why you may ask? Very simple:

1. Removable battery - battery lasts you all day.
2. SD Card slot
3. 2GB RAM
4. Dual Core (iPhone 5 is a dual core too)
5. 4.8 inch screen - super colorful and bright
6. Jelly Bean 4.1.1
7 Very fast phone.
8. Has unique features the iPhone 5 only dreams of having.
9. Much, much better multitasking than iPhone.

1. My iPhone 5's battery lasts longer than any friend's Galaxy S3 so far.
2. One pro over the iPhone 5, I'll give you that.
3. The vast majority of Galaxy SIII models have 1 GB of memory. No advantage over the iPhone 5.
4. No advantage over the iPhone 5.
5. The iPhone 5's screen quality has come out on top in just about every test. Most agree the Galaxy SIII's screen is way too saturated.
6. Matter of personal preferences whether you like iOS or Android. Personally I find the apps on iOS of way better quality.
7. No advantage over the iPhone 5.
8. Such as? Also, phones don't dream.
9. I honestly don't see why.

#43 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 20 December 2012 - 19:53

Was on the S3, but i found for work the email setting (active snyc) wasnt doing it for me. Moved to iPhone5 and find its alot better now. Also the S3 is a massive screen, while i found the S3 a great phone and one that can take on the iPhone, it wasnt for me. The iPhone works for me and i enjoy, will look at the S4, but only if it gets better active sync and email clients.

#44 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 20:13

Those thinking the iPhone 5 is better, here is a chance to educate yourself.

#45 SinghKing

SinghKing

Neowinian

Posted 20 December 2012 - 20:13

Jesus it's only a f*kin fone, u guys all b*tchin over it, u manz need to get a life!
talk about fanbois! dnt need to cry!