need some help

hey everyone,

recently, i did a clean install of windows xp on my computer. ever since, i've noticed some problems here and there.

first of all, whenever i try to open a saved html document, my explorer crashes with the folowing error message:

------------------------------------------------

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs

to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you working

on may be lost.

For more information about this error, click here

--------------------------------------------------

now the second problem is that, when i right click on the desktop and goto properties>>desktop, it automatically throws me back to the desktop . occassionaly, an error message is displayed that says:

--------------------------------------------------

Run a DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close.

-------------------------------------------------

thirdly, when i click on the effects tab under appearance, whatever is supposed to happen, doesn't. i mean, nothing pops up no matter how many times i click it :angry:

here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon XP 1500+

256 MB RAM

GeForce 4 MX 400 128 MB

software installed on my pc that could have something to do with the errors:

style xp

windowblinds (just got rid of it...to no effect though :no: )

i'd appreciate it if anyone were to help me with this :)

StyleXP and WindowBlinds cause more trouble than they're worth. Why 'hack' something that Microsoft doesn't want to be hacked? When you do, expect all kinds of problems. Anyway, do the usual Disk Cleanup (tick all boxes so all categories are cleaned), then do a Disk Defragment. Now, go to Windows Update and install SP1 then all the other updates. See if that works...

King Mustard

i ran a disk cleanup, scandisk error check and defragmented the hdd. i haven't installed any of the service packs as of yet but the problem still exists (N)

yudi_lks

i tried what you said but all that happens is, it checks whether the original windows files are present. never in the entire 5 minute long process did it ask for the winxp cd.

anyone else know what's wrong?

@ hotshot

For your first problem, you have to disable error reporting. Right click on "my computer", "properties", "Advanced", "error report",

and disable it.

Suggestion:

Uninstall StyleXP and get uxtheme patcher (two dfferent version, one for XP with SP1 and another for non-SP1). It'll handle visual styles.

Try to use another style and see if you get the same errors. Hope this will help you.

I would definitely get SP1, as there are alot of fixes in there to stabilize XP. When I reformatted a few weeks ago, I had to dl SP1 on dial up,lol, it took about 5 hours, but it was worth it. :)

@ hotshot

For your first problem, you have to disable error reporting. Right click on "my computer", "properties", "Advanced", "error report",

and disable it.

error reporting was already disabled.

i'm gonna try and get sp1 a little bit later...oh and no, i haven't run an antivirus check yet...i'm gonna do that in a little bit aswell...got some stuff to do right now. in the mean while, could anyone post me direct links to the sp1 and uxtheme patcher downloads. thanks! :)

I would definitely get SP1, as there are alot of fixes in there to stabilize XP. When I reformatted a few weeks ago, I had to dl SP1 on dial up,lol, it took about 5 hours, but it was worth it. :)

You can also sign up for a free SP1 CD at Microsoft's site. Saves you some valuable time downloading this thing.

Press [Windows key + Pause] button

Your computer properties will be pop out, then if you already have SP1 installed, it should show something like this

Microsoft Windows XP

Professional

Version 2002

Service Pack 1

Or go to Start Menu. Run and type in

winver

And seriously, due to the amount of fixes and since you dont have a resident antivirus installed, there isnt much to do then to tell you to get SP1, and run a antivirus scan.

SP1 has been available for over a year now.

Use Housecall below for a web based antivirus scan and its free.

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/s.../start_corp.asp

phew...after 3 long hours, i've finally managed to download and install sp1. well, the explorer crash problem no longer exists (Y) but the other two are still very much there (N) i'm pretty sure that it's got something to do with either stylexp or windowblinds but nothing that i've tried so far seems to work...what could i be doing wrong?