5 posts in this topic

Posted

I use remote desktop quite a bit and I spent some time today playing with a lot of combinations of settings to get the best performance. I found a couple interesting things so maybe it will help someone else out

1. Performance is significantly better when I enable both Desktop Composition and Visual Styles. This really took me by surprise, but here's where it's most evident.

With these settings disabled, if I remotely login and start Google Chrome as a fullscreen window, I can see multiple screen repaints. Each repaint starts from the top left corner of the screen and goes down to the bottom right. I can watch the repaint go from left to right as it's going down. The same is true if try to load a webpage. As things load up on the webpage, it triggers an additional screen refresh.

On the other hand, if I enable both of these settings there is only 1 repaint when I start Chrome. Not only that, it seems to happen in big square blocks rather than line by line. This is also the case when I load a webpage.

2. Performance is slightly better when I have my local and remote desktop color depth to match each other (32bit color). I thought if I reduced the session color depth to something lower like 15-bit, it'd be faster but that wasn't the case.

Edit:

My local and remote machines both run Windows 7

Posted

Indeed, i noticed on Server 2012 if you install the "Desktop Experience" feature and select the standard theme you got a massive performance increase when using Remote Desktop.

For the remote desktop "experience" settings when connecting i just select "LAN (10 Mbps or higher)" and disable the desktop background if the connection i'm on is really slow.

Posted

Cheer guys will test out on my 2012 server.

Posted

Interesting, I guess it makes sense if the machines use each others resources to draw identical things and just send the result vs having to redraw it themselves / wait for the image to transfer

Posted

I can concur then performance is greatly improved with using the Windows standard theme as opposed to the Windows basic theme.

Unfortunately though, if you remote from Windows 7 Pro it wont let you use the proper Windows standard theme on Server 2012/Windows 8 Pro. Not tested from Windows 7 Enterprise yet as that historically seemed to be different regarding RDP compatibility.