Photo

Slow SSD shutdown time

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Technique

Technique

Technical Difficulties

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:23

I recently (approx 4 weeks or so ago, but certainly within the last 2 months) bought a Samsung 830 256GB SSD.

Used it for a while & it was great. I've since noticed very slow shut down times - 2-5 minutes wouldn't be uncommon.

Thing is, i don't know whether it's all related to running VMWare Player. I noticed it around the time i started using that. Thing is though, i shut VMWare Player down, then shut the PC down & it still takes an age. However if i just start the PC up & then immediately shut it down, it shuts down quite quickly.

Ideas?

#2 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:27

I have a slow shutdown time on an OCZ Solid with Windows 8 sometimes. I haven't thought anything of it.

#3 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:28

Not sure if I remember correctly but doesn't VMWare/Player have running processes in the background? Maybe try and disable them and see if it makes a difference?

#4 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:40

You can make it 'force shutdown' as in force all apps & services to close rather than waiting for them. Here's a snippet from a website:

Often what holds up the Windows shutdown routine is the operating system waiting for background and foreground processes to close. Microsoft has tried to alleviate the problem by introducing a Force Shutdown command in Windows 7. This kicks in after 12 seconds by default.

You can speed that up, however, by changing a registry setting. Open the Start menu, type 'regedit,' and then click the regedit.exe entry that appears. The Windows Registry Editor opens.

In the left-hand pane of the Registry Editor, expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE tree, and then expand System, CurrentControlSet, and Control. With the Control branch highlighted, look for the entry WaitToKillService in the right-hand pane of the Registry Editor. Right-click it, select Modify from the pop-up menu, and from the resulting dialog box, change the value 12000 (for 12 seconds) to something lower.

#5 Pam14160

Pam14160

Lee

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:14

You can make it 'force shutdown' as in force all apps & services to close rather than waiting for them. Here's a snippet from a website:

Often what holds up the Windows shutdown routine is the operating system waiting for background and foreground processes to close. Microsoft has tried to alleviate the problem by introducing a Force Shutdown command in Windows 7. This kicks in after 12 seconds by default.
You can speed that up, however, by changing a registry setting. Open the Start menu, type 'regedit,' and then click the regedit.exe entry that appears. The Windows Registry Editor opens.
In the left-hand pane of the Registry Editor, expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE tree, and then expand System, CurrentControlSet, and Control. With the Control branch highlighted, look for the entry WaitToKillService in the right-hand pane of the Registry Editor. Right-click it, select Modify from the pop-up menu, and from the resulting dialog box, change the value 12000 (for 12 seconds) to something lower.

Thank you for this information. . .something that will be nice to have. . . :) :) :)

#6 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:12

I have a slow shutdown time on an OCZ Solid with Windows 8 sometimes. I haven't thought anything of it.

I did to on my OCZ SSD, it's not a problem for me as the laptop is hardly ever shut down but research shows OCZ has released newer firmware to tackle the problem... at least depending on your model.