what ssd to buy

Hello guys, i am a little confused, i did a lot of research because it and tech is what i study and i still don't know what ssd i should choose between these four:

120gb Samsung 840 basic series, with the tlc nand memory

120gb Intel 330 series

120gb Kingston v300 series

120gb Kingston hyperx 3k

I am kinda low on budget that's why those are my available options, i would have preferred the Samsung 830 but it's not available anymore in my country.

I would go with the Intel, i have seen better success with them, I have no experience with a samsung SSD and do not know anyone who has owned one and all 4 of the Kingston drives i have used did not last more than 8 months or so.

That Samsung uses a slower and cheaper NAND, so I'd stay away from that one.

Out of those 4, I'd recommend the Intel. It's the most reliable, but it's also the most expensive.

Other options would be the OCZ Agility 4, Corsair Crucial M4. (thanks tsupersonic :rofl:) The M4 is a very very good SSD and it's cheap, so if you can get that one, I'd recommend it.

Other options would be the OCZ Agility 4, Corsair M4. The M4 is a very very good SSD and it's cheap, so if you can get that one, I'd recommend it.

Crucial M4, not Corsair. I agree, Crucial M4 is also a great inexpensive drive.

That Samsung uses a slower and cheaper NAND, so I'd stay away from that one.

Doesn't the 840 Pro versions use a different chip?

The immediate downside is that it uses a SandForce controller, which is always iffy in terms of reliability. OCZ seemed to have solved it's problems with that controller via firmware, but I can't say for sure if Corsair had the same issues and remedies.

The other downside is that it uses Asynchronous NAND, which is quite a bit slower than Synchronous NAND.

It's a decent budget SSD, but you might as well spend the extra 10 quid and get that Crucial M4 which doesn't have either of those problems.

I think most people these days (myself included) seem to be going for the Sandisk Extreme SSDs, as they're price-competitive with the budget models while offering high IOPS and transfer rates > 500 up and down.

Anandtech says the TLC should be made up for with the MDX controller in the Samsung 840. I went with an 840 Pro anyways just to be on the safe side. The problem with Intel these days is that they're all using SandForce controllers too, even though it is customized, but we don't know exactly how much customized it really is.

I also like Plextor... mainly because of the 5 year warranty

Plextor takes me back when they used to make the best CD-RW drives .. and also the most expensive.

Good times :laugh:

I can't find the crucial m4 in my country, same for the plextor, so all i have left i guess are the Intel 330, corsair force gt, or the Samsung 830 if they have it in stock. The ocz vertex 4 is way to expensive, same for the Samsung 840 pro

I have a Intel 330 but the 60 GB version in my netbook and its working fine with Ubuntu. If i find the Samsung 830 I'll buy that, if not i guess i will go with the corsair force gt. Last option is the Intel 330.