Photo

I have Windows Vista. Should I upgrade to Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

Posted 27 December 2012 - 19:32

Microsoft is offering an amazing deal for Windows 8. You can upgrade for only $40 until 1/30/13. I have Vista since it came with my computer 3 years ago. I hate it because it's pretty slow and does have problems occasionally. Is it recommended that I take advantage of this offer and upgrade to Windows 8? I've never used it before so I'm not sure how much better it is than Vista.

Thanks!

#2 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 December 2012 - 19:36

Windows 8 is blazing fast compared to Vista, and a less resource hog. It would be a massive improvement for you, you'll just need to get use to the new UI. That being said, if you're having problems with your OS, a simple upgrade might not solve your issue.

And for the record, any upgrade solution of any OS would be better than Vista :p

#3 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 27 December 2012 - 19:37

Yes, absolutely. It's mind boggling you didn't upgrade to Windows 7, given that you have problems with Vista. What are your PC specs - maybe you can buy some parts to make your computer faster?

#4 OP DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

Posted 27 December 2012 - 19:42

What are your PC specs - maybe you can buy some parts to make your computer faster?

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
2 GB of RAM

#5 Kaze23

Kaze23

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 27 December 2012 - 19:44

Windows 7 was the perfect upgrade to Vista. 8 is comparable in performance to 7, but as you might've seen in various threads around this forum, a lot of people get their panties in a bunch over the Start screen.

#6 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 December 2012 - 19:51

Windows 8 is blazing fast compared to Vista, and a less resource hog. It would be a massive improvement for you, you'll just need to get use to the new UI. That being said, if you're having problems with your OS, a simple upgrade might not solve your issue.

And for the record, any upgrade solution of any OS would be better than Vista :p

no.. not really. Vista was a decent OS. Upgrade to 8 only if you understand that you are trading one set of frustrations with another.

#7 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 27 December 2012 - 19:56

no.. not really. Vista was a decent OS. Upgrade to 8 only if you understand that you are trading one set of frustrations with another.

Well if OP hates Windows 8, he/she could upgrade from Vista to 8, and have the best of both worlds. Really, there is no reason not to upgrade from Vista to 7/8.

As for speed, you can try buying more RAM, an SSD, or a newer CPU (depending on what you're doing with your computer, but there could be complications here)

#8 jackslade

jackslade

Neowinian

Posted 27 December 2012 - 19:57

A OS upgrade will help a little bit (either 7 or 8). With only 2 GB of RAM, I would think the best upgrade would be to add more memory (to at least 4 GB or more even 6 or 8).

#9 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 27 December 2012 - 20:00

If you have dealt with Vista for three years, then, given your specs, run, don't walk, to the nearest Windows 8 upgrade.

#10 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 December 2012 - 20:00

Oh I agree, I've already down graded back to 7 from 8, but I would easily choose 8 over Vista.

#11 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 27 December 2012 - 20:02

A OS upgrade will help a little bit (either 7 or 8). With only 2 GB of RAM, I would think the best upgrade would be to add more memory (to at least 4 GB or more even 6 or 8).

Yes, but he will still be stuck with a 5 year old OS. The ability of Windows 8 to run smoothly on older hardware is almost legendary :).

#12 OP DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

Posted 27 December 2012 - 20:10

Ok, looks like upgrading is the best option. Just one more question.... if I buy the upgrade, will I lose all my saved documents on my computer, such as my word/excel files, pictures and videos? Or will they get ported over to Win 8 when the upgrade is complete? Just wondering if I need to backup before upgrading. Sorry if this question is silly but I've never upgraded to a new OS before on an existing computer.

#13 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 27 December 2012 - 20:12

A backup is never a bad idea, even if you're doing the upgrade install. Things can go wrong. Personally, I prefer a clean install regardless.

#14 johnporter29

johnporter29

a = 1; b = 2; a + b = c

• Phone: Moto G 4G

Posted 27 December 2012 - 20:23

I would upgrade without a doubt or even thinking about it. Now I've had Windows 8 for a while, absolutely love it.

#15 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 December 2012 - 20:32

Microsoft is offering an amazing deal for Windows 8. You can upgrade for only $40 until 1/30/13. I have Vista since it came with my computer 3 years ago. I hate it because it's pretty slow and does have problems occasionally. Is it recommended that I take advantage of this offer and upgrade to Windows 8? I've never used it before so I'm not sure how much better it is than Vista.

Thanks!

I am surprised no one has suggested this yet
Well before -- I would go fork out the money-

I would at least run the Upgrade Assistant then see what is compatible first.

It should give you what is compatible and what is not. as a starting base.

http://windows.micro...de-to-windows-8