Photo

ESET sub almost up looking for new AV

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Azusa

Azusa

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:30

Ok my ESET smart security subscription is ending soon and i was wanting to get something new as i think it could be the source of my youtube issues so the question is as im on Windows 7 64bit what's the best
  • firewall
  • anti virus
  • currently have malwarebytes so do i really need something else that deals with that?

thanks for any and all input!

#2 omganinja

omganinja

Neowinian

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:43

Do other people use your computer, or just yourself?

#3 OP Azusa

Azusa

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:45

Just my self no one else.

#4 omganinja

omganinja

Neowinian

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:03

Why do you even need AV then?

#5 OP Azusa

Azusa

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:10

Paranoia?

#6 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:17

Hello,

Have you checked with ESET's tech support to see if the issue is indeed with ESET Smart Security and whether they can fix it?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#7 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:10

Uninstall it to see if it is causing issues with Youtube before you blame it. Regardless of ESET, Windows firewall is sufficient for firewall and use Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus.

#8 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:15

Windows firewall is sufficient for firewall and use Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus.

#9 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:51

Uninstall it to see if it is causing issues with Youtube before you blame it. Regardless of ESET, Windows firewall is sufficient for firewall and use Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus.

Yeah, if he doesn't care about trojans or zero days. MSE is great, but it doesn't compare to a full protection suite.

I'd actually suggest Norton 360 or Internet Security, they're really goo and light on resources and will stop most zero day and other web threats that AV usually won't touch.

#10 moose232

moose232

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:58

Yeah, if he doesn't care about trojans or zero days. MSE is great, but it doesn't compare to a full protection suite...

This. As someone who fixes PC's for friends and family I have seen numerous computers infected with xyz virus and MSE is installed but disabled by said virus. Unfortunately I've seen the same thing with NOD, it was happily running, displaying it's icon in the systray but the PC was basically unusable due to some virus.

Perhaps it would be better to look at another antivirus vendor as HawkMan suggests. I personally would recommend Kaspersky Antivirus. Just my $0.02

#11 Manarift

Manarift

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:20

I wouldn't get the firewall option as they often always cause problems, most routers and os's carry a built in firewall now

#12 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:10

I use ESET NOD32 AV and Windows Firewall and have 0 problems with youtube or any other sites

Ditch the full security suite and just renew the AV and use Windows Firewall

imo NOD32 AV is the best out there

#13 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:16

Try out Kaspersky Internet Security, you can trial it free with no restrictions for 30 days. Don't get mixed up with different variants, they offer a Standalone AV client and other apps too.

It's a complete AV & Firewall solution. You can find old retail boxed 2011 yearly licenses on eBay for about ~£/$10 and use it with the newest 2013 release.

#14 arachnoid

arachnoid

Copyright Withheld

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:23

If you want a tightly controlled system then Id recommend a Kasperksy product but it will ask you to remove the Malwarebytes due to incompatibility issues.

#15 AStaley

AStaley

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64, OSX Mavericks, Elementary OS, Server 2008 R2/2012 R2, CentOS.
  • Phone: iPhone 6 (IOS8)

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:23

As has already been suggested I would try uninstalling Eset and see if the youtube problem still persists. Also check you have the latest Flash Player installed. What issue are you having with youtube?

Then depending on your findings either renew Eset (downloading latest version from their website), or if you really want to change and prefer having the paid for support/peace of mind look at Kaspersky AV 2013. I use Eset in my work place and Kaspersky at home and wouldn't have an issue recommending either.