Question

Posted

I have looked far and wide on both Google and Bing for any information that I could find about this, but have been unsuccessful. To put it simple, I cannot get my Lumia 920 to resolve any hostnames on internal networks. Using VNC or RDP apps, I cannot connect at all with hostnames. Using IP addresses will work, however. Other devices on the network are not affected by this; my iPhone, iPad, Macs, and Windows machines can all see and connect to each other properly within the network via hostname. I thought it might be something odd with my connection at home, but I also have the same problem on my network at work.

Does anyone have any advice at all on this matter?

2 answers to this question

Posted

I've had the same problem with WP since 7.0. There's a nifty iTunes remote app that I love, but it only connects via IP address, not name.

Posted

When I had an Android tablet, I noticed it was affected by this as well.

Something that brought it to light and casued me no end of trouble - BT Homehub (and I'm sure, many ISP's) router default DNS settings pointed to BT's DNS server, which in an effort to generate ad-based revenue would redirect to a search page if it couldn't resolve an address. Which is great, but what it meant, and how it was setup, meant that a DNS reply would be returned for [i]any[/i] address, private, public, or utter rubbish - all 'unknown' records resolved to the IP of the web server BT were using for (instead of returning unknown) . It may be worth checking to see if there's similar at play here.