Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ubuntu For Phones

63 posts in this topic

Posted

[url="http://youtu.be/cpWHJDLsqTU"]http://youtu.be/cpWHJDLsqTU[/url]

Wow, looks like a welcomed entry to the market, alrighty!!
Full Article @ [url="http://www.webupd8.org/2013/01/ubuntu-for-phones-announced.html#disqus_thread"]WebUpd8[/url]

Posted

This is already on the front page. I want to see it come to the nexus 7!
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Tyler R.' timestamp='1357163219' post='595429002'] This is already on the front page. I want to see it come to the nexus 7! [/quote]

Aw just saw it, damn you Larry *shake fist* :D Yup, would love to dualboot this on Samsung galaxy S2 & S3 hardware :)

Hands On Usage of Ubuntu on Phones - Nexus support coming in following weeks!

[url="http://youtu.be/kXWnMTm7We8"]http://youtu.be/kXWnMTm7We8[/url]
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='- Kaboose -' timestamp='1357163644' post='595429010']
Aw just saw it, damn you Larry *shake fist* :D Yup, would love to dualboot this on Samsung galaxy S2 & S3 hardware :)

Hands On Usage of Ubuntu on Phones - Nexus support coming in following weeks!
[/quote]

I've had a bad habit of reposing too lately. :D The phone is so sexy. If this hits the consumer market, I'll buy one on release day.

Posted

[quote name='Tyler R.' timestamp='1357166261' post='595429102'] I've had a bad habit of reposing too lately. :D The phone is so sexy. If this hits the consumer market, I'll buy one on release day. [/quote]

don't tempt me now! :shifty: (oh waits, me broke) :laugh:

Posted

[quote name='- Kaboose -' timestamp='1357166466' post='595429110']
don't tempt me now! :shifty: (oh waits, me broke) :laugh:
[/quote]

*reposting :woot:

Posted

That looks really nice. Anyone any ideas as to how this will work ? Will it just be a ROM that you flash or will it be a little more complex than that .... driver problems etc ?

Im sure the "stock " Ubuntu will be buttery, but can you imagine an AOKP ( Yes I know what it means and has nothing to do with Ubuntu) type ROM and this mixed up, would be mind blowing IMO. Maybe some of that coolness will get ported both ways.

Has Ubuntu already got a market place ,Or will that be in development as well ?

Will be keeping an eye on XDA for sure.

Posted

Looks utterly ridiculous with those icons on the side there. Good luck putting a dent in the mobile phone market...

However, I can see them competing with the likes of Microsoft, at least. Too bad that isn't saying much.

Posted

I am a huge Android user, but this looks amazing. I think I want it!

Posted

Drivers will definitely be an issue if we're talking about installing on a wide range of Android devices.

Posted

I'd love to boot it from Sony Xperia Sola, if possible. Can't wait to see it

[quote name='bman' timestamp='1357174323' post='595429304']
I am a huge Android user, but this looks amazing. I think I want it!
[/quote]

What exactly is your BMI? ;)

Posted

I watched the video a couple hours back, it said something along the lines of "If your device can run Android, then it can run Ubuntu" due to drivers

So does that mean that my Transformer will get an Ubuntu build ? Or that they will release something similar to VMWare for Droid ?

Posted

Will be interesting to see how it runs on older devices like my Galaxy S2. Have to admit it doesn't look all that bad but I guess the quality of it's apps will be the main decider (although so far my personal experience with web apps has been a bit hit and miss).

Posted

[quote name='Yorak' timestamp='1357167750' post='595429146']
Looks utterly ridiculous with those icons on the side there. Good luck putting a dent in the mobile phone market...

However, I can see them competing with the likes of Microsoft, at least. Too bad that isn't saying much.
[/quote]

I don't see what looks ridiculous about it.
1 person likes this

Posted

All I know is, im even happier I bought a Nexus 4, really excited to see a company, ESPECIALLY UBUNTU go full touch.

Posted

I see this bringing linux front and center. is this the first flavor of linux to go phone?

Posted

[quote name='ChrisJ1968' timestamp='1357183853' post='595429534']
I see this bringing linux front and center. is this the first flavor of linux to go phone?
[/quote]

Depends if you count android as a linux flavor. There was also meego, but nokia ditched it for WP8 it before it ever really had a chance.

Posted

[quote name='ViperAFK' timestamp='1357183357' post='595429514']
I don't see what looks ridiculous about it.
[/quote]

The dock on the side there. I am all for minimalism, but on my phone I want quick and easy access to my applications. There is a variety of applications I use on a daily basis, and the dock can only display so many without having to open another menu.

Posted

[quote name='Yorak' timestamp='1357189215' post='595429618']
The dock on the side there. I am all for minimalism, but on my phone I want quick and easy access to my applications. There is a variety of applications I use on a daily basis, and the dock can only display so many without having to open another menu.
[/quote]

1. The dock is easily scrollable as shown in the video.
2. The dock is just for pinning the most used apps, there is still a home screen available...
1 person likes this

Posted

looks neat but i wonder how it will run on older phones with less RAM and low specs?

Posted

[quote] [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Here

Posted

I wonder how the application support will be for this OS? It looks to be a fantastic OS to use but I fear the (probable) lack of apps will let it down.

Posted

[quote name='McKay' timestamp='1357192813' post='595429640']
I wonder how the application support will be for this OS? It looks to be a fantastic OS to use but I fear the (probable) lack of apps will let it down.
[/quote]

its Backed by Canonical.

Posted

Honestly the workflow of it seems pretty bad to me, the four corners thing dosn't work very well with the large sizes of todays phones.

The side bar seems like a terrible idea in reality, and reminds me of early Nokia and Samsung phones. The very ones everyone slaughtered. And the one screen seems like a terrible re implementation of microsofts idea, except... Terrible.

It looks like annoys designed by geeks who sat around thinking up cool ideas and made it into a phone OS with no consideration for phone OS usability.

[quote name='Xahid' timestamp='1357193177' post='595429646']

its Backed by Canonical.
[/quote]

That doesn't really mean anything.

Posted

[quote name='ViperAFK' timestamp='1357189331' post='595429622']
1. The dock is easily scrollable as shown in the video.
2. The dock is just for pinning the most used apps, there is still a home screen available...
[/quote]

This could seriously prove that Linux is a serious OS for most needs and environments