• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,670 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:26

I was laid off in late November from the Software Company I had been working at. Immediately I applied for two Software Engineering positions here in town. I went through the interview process with each and this week I was offered employment at both places.

The jobs and pay are comparable and honestly I haven't decided which one to accept. Obviously I will have to decline one of them. I'm wondering what the best way to go about that is, I've never had to do it before. I don't want to burn any bridges as there is always the possibility that I will be looking for work again sometime in the future. How have the people here handled this?

#2 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,361 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:31

Dear sir/madam,

While I appreciate the opportunity you have presented me with, I have to decline your offer for personal reasons.

Regards,

<insert name here>

Just remember, they probably have a list of other candidates that they will go through so you're not necessarily leaving them high and dry.

#3 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 16,980 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:35

Ran into this - once had 6 local & 2 out of state positions offered. Don't burn bridges; write them a nicely worded letter explaining that you've chosen another opportunity and thanking them for their consideration. Might even want to make a thank you call to your interviewer or the HR person. Sometimes you might even get a counter-offer.

#4 Skwerl

Skwerl

Neowinian Ancient

• 1,752 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920 (Yellow)

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:46

It should be obvious, but it's important that you be honest when you turn down an offer. DocM mentioned the possibility of a counteroffer ( and you could go into negotiations with each company to see who will sweeten the deal more in terms of vacation or some other benefit if they can't raise your pay), but more importantly, you don't want to make up a "nicer" reason, because somehow they probably will find out, and you will look like an ass.

#5 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:47

Call them both and say the other job is offering a better wage, if they can beat it you will go to them, keep doing it until one of them says no :rofl:

#6 OP Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,670 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:56

Thanks for all the advice! As for counter offers, one of them is a government job that is pretty carved-in-stone regarding starting salary, vacation time, and benefits.

#7 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,159 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:14

Thanks for all the advice! As for counter offers, one of them is a government job that is pretty carved-in-stone regarding starting salary, vacation time, and benefits.

Pick that one.

#8 c.grz

c.grz

Neowinian

• 1,217 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:27

I recommend you be honest with both jobs and that you're weighing your options. Go back to the job you favor and tell them that you're undecided and ask if there's anything they can do on their end to make the decision easier.

I just went through this and initially the job I liked "didn't have it in their budget" to give me more but when I brought up the situation to them they found the money and got me an 5%.

Just be honest; doesn't hurt to ask. The worst they can say is no to the increase.

#9 SledgeNZ

SledgeNZ

Neowinian

• 117 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:33

Contrary to a few opinions here, don't play them off over each other.

Just state you've had two offers and have decided to take the other. If they choose to offer more then by all means look at the offer.

Money only keeps you interested for so long, the actual role is what should sway you.

#10 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,040 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:39

Contrary to a few opinions here, don't play them off over each other.

Just state you've had two offers and have decided to take the other. If they choose to offer more then by all means look at the offer.

Money only keeps you interested for so long, the actual role is what should sway you.

Quoted for best advice.

Just be honest and thank them for the opportunity and their time. The company won't be hurt that you turned it down, so as long as you are professional about it, you'll leave a good impression with them.

#11 Travelar

Travelar

Neowinian

• 413 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:42

In my opinion, Intrinsica pretty much nailed it. A short letter, without the details is the best way to go. If they come back and ask what it will take, then tell them the other opportunity is offering this, which made it more appealing. Going into this and playing them against each other is never a good idea.

#12 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• 7,587 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 14:42

I was laid off in late November from the Software Company I had been working at. Immediately I applied for two Software Engineering positions here in town. I went through the interview process with each and this week I was offered employment at both places.

Hehe, been a similar position just a few weeks ago when I finished my degree in Software Engineering. Isn't it a great business in these times? You barely have to hunt for jobs, it's employers who are hunting for you.

What I did: wait until you actually sign the job offer you want, then write a short, polite reply to the other offers, where you thank them for their time and leave the door open for future opportunities.

#13 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,133 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 16:37

Just don't return their calls. :p

#14 ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• 2,583 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)

Posted 07 January 2013 - 00:41

Tell them that you find other please of work but thank you giving me a job at your place.

#15 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,590 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 00:45

Happened to me once.

I simply thanked them for the offer and their time and said it was greatly appreciated but that i could not accept the job offer because i had a better offer i could not refuse. I said it in french so it was surely better said XD

Don't forget they likely have a number 2. It's not like they are in trouble.