How to output via HDMI instead of VGA?

hdmi vga

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 January 2013 - 16:34

I just bought a Lenovo IdeaCentre H415 (it has an A6-3650 with Radeon 6530D GPU, VGA and HDMI output, but no DVI). My monitor supports VGA, HDMI and DVI. When it's plugged in via VGA, it works as you would expect. When it's plugged in via HDMI - nothing. I've looked around for some option in Display/Personalisation, but nothing is evident that would allow me to do this (nor in the Catalyst Control Centre).

#2 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 January 2013 - 16:37

WIN+P ?

#3 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 04 January 2013 - 16:42

it should work right away when you plug in the cord, so there are 3 possibilities

1. bad hdmi cord
2. the port on the laptop is bad
3. the port on the monitor is bad

(it's also possible, though unlikely, that the drivers weren't installed correctly. have you updated the catalyst drivers?)

#4 StrikedOut

StrikedOut

Outside the box

Posted 04 January 2013 - 16:44

Also make sure the monitor is set to auto discover input and not just VGA.

#5 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 04 January 2013 - 16:45

it should work right away when you plug in the cord, so there are 3 possibilities

1. bad hdmi cord
2. the port on the laptop is bad
3. the port on the monitor is bad

(it's also possible, though unlikely, that the drivers weren't installed correctly. have you updated the catalyst drivers?)

well, there's more possibilities than that. i thought the sme as StrikedOut. the monitor may need to change its source.

#6 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 January 2013 - 16:48

well, there's more possibilities than that. i thought the sme as StrikedOut. the monitor may need to change its source.

i figured if that were the case it would still show as a detected output in ccc and screen rez window
since he didn't mention it appearing i figured it probably didn't

#7 OP migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 January 2013 - 16:56

OK. I tested a cable I know to be good, still no signal. It's not a laptop BTW, but a desktop. So it's not a case of automatically mirroring or extending the desktop, but rather using HDMI as the one and only display.

#8 arachnoid

arachnoid

Vote cats you know it makes sense

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 04 January 2013 - 17:00

Check the hdmi option is enabled in the bios

#9 JayZJay

JayZJay

Neowinian

Posted 04 January 2013 - 17:55

I had the same problem and when I read this thread, it dawned on me that I had not thought of there being an "Input Select" option in the monitor settings. Sure enough, that was all my problem was. Now, having my HP laptop connected to my ASUS monitor via HDMI works fine. I had just thought the monitor would work if you had a good connection to a source, but then again, I should have thought about how the monitor would handle it if you had more than one source connected simultaneously, like VGA and HDMI at the same time. In that case, it makes sense that the monitor would have to ask you what source you wanted to use or there would be a "Input Select" option to tell it what source/connection to use.

Another thing to note, when I changed the monitor input selection to HDMI, I had no audio/sound then. I figured the audio was being then sent thru the HDMI cable, but because my monitor doesn't have speakers (I didn't want a monitor with speakers... would rather have decent separate speakers) I wasn't getting any sound. Sure enough, that was it. Once I had opened my audio settings and set "Speakers and Headphones" as the default place/ports to send audio to, my audio/sound was back as usual.

#10 OP migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 January 2013 - 18:51

I wasn't able to figure out which key launches the BIOS, but after a couple of reboots it ended up going off HDMI. I did have to do the input select on the monitor as well, which required a complete power cycle to get working. I didn't have the sound problem, possibly because I already have headphones plugged in?

Image quality is much better now.

#11 OP migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 January 2013 - 15:44

OK. This isn't working out how I'd like. Whenever the system goes to sleep, it doesn't output anything when waking up. I have to plug VGA back in to have a chance at getting HDMI.

I checked the BIOS, and it only has the option to use Auto or default to a PCI-e GPU.

#12 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 January 2013 - 16:32

hmm, it sounds like the hdmi on your graphics card might just be faulty, there's no reason your hdmi should be acting like that, it should just work when it's plugged in unless you explicitly turn off that input yourself (which can only be done while it's plugged in and detected)

if you're able to, I'd think about taking the graphics card back and exchanging it as I doubt it's a driver problem at this point

#13 OP migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:45

It's integrated, part of the A6-3650.

#14 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:56

Have you tried hooking up to another monitor/TV using HDMI, just to narrow things down?
It should just work right off the bat. You normally don't have to change anything, other than switch to the specific HDMI port on the monitor/TV.

#15 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:01

It's integrated, part of the A6-3650.

well that complicates things a little if it is indeed faulty

just to be sure, you do have the official AMD 12.10 drivers installed and not the drivers supplied by Lenovo correct?
if not, try the official AMD driver or vice-verse