Photo

How do you hold your tablet?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you hold your tablet?

Do you have a tablet?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How do you hold your tablet most?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What size is your tablet?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 +beanboy89

beanboy89

Neowinian

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

Posted 04 January 2013 - 18:42

I'm just wondering how most people here at Neowin hold their tablet devices most often. I have a 7" tablet and I almost always hold it in landscape mode. I rarely ever find myself holding it in portrait; most apps look better in landscape and it feels unnatural holding it in portrait.

#2 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 10,917 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 18:45

I don't have a tablet, but if I did then how I would hold it would very much depend on the activity. For example, browsing the Internet would be done in portrait most probably, but watching a video would be done in landscape.

#3 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,053 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 18:47

Depends on the activity, like with twitter, holding it portrait gives you more tweets on the screen at once and no wasted/white space

#4 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,084 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 04 January 2013 - 18:51

Landscape due to the cover case doubling as a stand. I rage ever so slightly when I run across an app that has no landscape orientation.

#5 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 12,778 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 18:52

with my hands :shiftyninja:

/ahole :p

Depends on activity

#6 a.mcdear

a.mcdear

Neowinian

• 139 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 18:52

Your poll doesn't include an option for those who own both a 7" and a 10".

By default, I have the desktop on my 7" locked to portrait mode, and that is my default viewing for this tablet, although I do allow auto-rotate when in some apps and do prefer landscape occasionally (for things like RDP, etc)

Also by default, I have my 10" tablet locked to landscape mode on the desktop, and I prefer the landscape orientation on the larger screen, although similarly I do find it more useful in portrait mode for certain apps so when not in the desktop it is auto-rotating (like web browsing as i can see more content.. or typing, since my thumbs can more easily reach all the keys)

#7 KRazpopov

KRazpopov

Neowinian

• 484 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Omnia 7

Posted 04 January 2013 - 18:58

I have a Nexus 7, and I mostly use it in portrait mode, except when looking at video or pictures.
The landscape mode on the Nexus 7 just seems too squished for me (For example: so much space is taken up by the navigation buttons at the bottom and Chrome's UI at the top, that there's barely any of the webpage being shown when compared to portrait.) That, and the keyboard seems too wide for me in landscape. I can comfortably thumb-type in portrait, but not in landscape.

If it was a 10" tablet though, I'd probably use it in landscape.

#8 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,469 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928

Posted 04 January 2013 - 18:58

to be honest it depends on if the app supports landscape or not, however, 99% of the time i use it in landscape because A) it feels more like using a computer and B) the tablet was designed to be used in that manner (original xoom, not aging well)

#9 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 19:00

Landscape for everything, I installed a rotation lock that forces apps into landscape even if they don't support it, mainly because I have it docked 99% of the time

#10 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

• 9,706 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 19:00

I basically keep my Surface locked in landscape orientation. I hold it with both hands on the bottom corners and use the thumb keyboard.

#11 GarakObama

GarakObama

Neowinian

• 76 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 19:04

I only hold it in portrait when I am reading a book.

#12 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 16,611 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 04 January 2013 - 19:10

Landscape always, unless the app calls for only being Portrait. One, and the absolute main reason I do it, is comfort. Just feels more natural, but holding it in Landscape is also more like a computer monitor as well.

#13 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 19:12

Anyone with an Android tablet, you can use this free app to lock landscape and it forces apps that don't support landscape, into landscape anyway

Vice versa I expect too although I only tried landscape

https://play.google....ui.robot.rotate

#14 Matthew_Thepc

Matthew_Thepc

Neowinian

• 1,160 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 19:21

I have an 11.6" 16:9 tablet, and at that size I almost always use it in landscape :) portrait mode on 16:9 displays gets a bit weird o.0

#15 KRazpopov

KRazpopov

Neowinian

• 484 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Omnia 7

Posted 04 January 2013 - 19:27

Anyone with an Android tablet, you can use this free app to lock landscape and it forces apps that don't support landscape, into landscape anyway

Vice versa I expect too although I only tried landscape

https://play.google....ui.robot.rotate

It works for locking in portrait as well. Only downside is that it's a global setting (I can't set it to only force some applications into an orientation).

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!