Finally used Windows 8 on a Touch-screen device. + Some Inquiries

Wow. Just wow. Finally I was able to try out the OS on a touch-screen device . The machinery I was using was the Sony Vaio Duo 11 with 1.7 intel Core i5 + Full HD Display.

I can say I was very pleased with the experience.

Now, before I start talking crap, I would like to know the following set of inquiries (If I?m doing it wrong, or right), because I felt that Windows 8 is a start and has a long way to go, even on a Tablet. Incredible, but I ended up liking it more with a Mouse + Keyboard combo (Except for the games :p ).

1. Start Screen scrolling. I felt that when I was scrolling, it would not ?flow? as good as the iPad. I mean, when I scroll fast to one of the sides I expect that it would scroll to the furthest side of the start screen (since it was not so long). Instead, I feel some breaks and sudden slowdowns that wouldn?t allow the screen to scroll to the end.
  2. Closing an app wasn?t as intuitive as mouse + keyboard combo. It took me around 5 minutes, to hit on the spot. I even asked the clerk to help me, but he didn?t know that apps could be closed! You must drag from the top of the screen to the bottom to close the apps (The animation, won't appear until you are on the 4/5th part of the screen)! This problem can be solved through the ?App close threshold? application from winaero.
  3. I like snapping things a lot on the desktop. When I have a Window maximized I like dragging from the top to other site of the screen for Aero Snap. I had difficulties getting the Window maximized from the top, since it would activate the trace for the desktop app to ?close?.
  4. Right click on the start screen: HOW DO I DO IT?! I couldn?t try unpinning an item from it, because I couldn?t figure out how to right click on it: Tried holding the tile down for a while, swiping it up?
  5. Had troubles with the charms bar. I know this is a thing ?to get used to?, but I would usually get interrupted by the charms bar each time I tried scrolling from the right to the left by swiping from the right part of the screen. Maybe, the problem was with the laptop itself, which had a big black bezel, and I couldn't distinguish well between the start of the LCD and the bezel.

On the bright side:

• Resizing windows from the edges was amazing and extremely fluid.
  • The ribbon does the job in most of the cases.
  • The taskbar was responsive to all of my touch inputs.
  • Could close/maximize/minimize Windows as good as mouse.

Suggestions for Microsoft:

In every Windows 8 ? related store, to deploy instructive videos that show the main gestures of Windows 8:

• Charms bar.
  • Closing apps
  • Task switcher
  • App-side-by-side.

1) There is some polish to still be done here but the majority of the time it is silky smooth at 60fps or whatnot.

2, 3) Once you learn the handful of gestures, I firmly support MS's leanability approach. Its too bad there was no one there to instruct you properly from the get go (swipe from top edge down 80% of screen, its a gross movement, same with snapping - it does start with the same animation but instead of dumping it (bottom) you throw it left or right). Both become not only quick, but fun operations (eclipsed only by the task switcher on Surface)

4) You sound like you want to select, not right click (per se). Simply do a quick drag on the item perpendicular to the scrolling direction. A conventional right-click is your old friend click and hold.

5) Edge swipes are actions. There are drawbacks to the edge activated approach. I try and give an extra half inch for error so most apps rarely cause an issue, as it should be relative dead space.

I do think there is merit to having all three available, its something one can get used to easily. Its just realizing on a ultrabook or even a desktop that its role is a complementary state. Much of the touch UI design assumes you are holding the screen where using the thumb and forefinger are more natural.

I've found that when I use the desktop with touch, I have to up the DPI to 125, or even 150% for my fingers to comfortably touch the intended targets. Only downside to touch on the desktop, and why the desktop isn't a viable long-term touch solution.

I've found that when I use the desktop with touch, I have to up the DPI to 125, or even 150% for my fingers to comfortably touch the intended targets. Only downside to touch on the desktop, and why the desktop isn't a viable long-term touch solution.

how small are your hands/fingers?

Wrong question ;)

no I really meant that. what did you think I meant??? LMNASO!!!

the question isn't how small they are, the question is how big they are, since he's increasing the size of all the window widgets.

The desktop was never meant for touch anyway.

The OPs qualms were specifically with RT and he actually had a good experience with touch on the desktop. Derp once again needs to learn to read as he's driven yet another thread off topic.

Wow. Just wow. Finally I was able to try out the OS on a touch-screen device . The machinery I was using was the Sony Vaio Duo 11 with 1.7 intel Core i5 + Full HD Display.

I can say I was very pleased with the experience.

Now, before I start talking crap, I would like to know the following set of inquiries (If I?m doing it wrong, or right), because I felt that Windows 8 is a start and has a long way to go, even on a Tablet. Incredible, but I ended up liking it more with a Mouse + Keyboard combo (Except for the games :p ).

1. Start Screen scrolling. I felt that when I was scrolling, it would not ?flow? as good as the iPad. I mean, when I scroll fast to one of the sides I expect that it would scroll to the furthest side of the start screen (since it was not so long). Instead, I feel some breaks and sudden slowdowns that wouldn?t allow the screen to scroll to the end.
  2. Closing an app wasn?t as intuitive as mouse + keyboard combo. It took me around 5 minutes, to hit on the spot. I even asked the clerk to help me, but he didn?t know that apps could be closed! You must drag from the top of the screen to the bottom to close the apps (The animation, won't appear until you are on the 4/5th part of the screen)! This problem can be solved through the ?App close threshold? application from winaero.
  3. I like snapping things a lot on the desktop. When I have a Window maximized I like dragging from the top to other site of the screen for Aero Snap. I had difficulties getting the Window maximized from the top, since it would activate the trace for the desktop app to ?close?.
  4. Right click on the start screen: HOW DO I DO IT?! I couldn?t try unpinning an item from it, because I couldn?t figure out how to right click on it: Tried holding the tile down for a while, swiping it up?
  5. Had troubles with the charms bar. I know this is a thing ?to get used to?, but I would usually get interrupted by the charms bar each time I tried scrolling from the right to the left by swiping from the right part of the screen. Maybe, the problem was with the laptop itself, which had a big black bezel, and I couldn't distinguish well between the start of the LCD and the bezel

1. You don't know about semantic zoom? Pinch your fingers on the start screen, you'll get a zoomed out view of all your tiles. you can then click the beginning or end. Very easy and quick to get anywhere on the start screen without scrolling.

2.never had a problem. I just flick from top to bottom and the app closes right away. maybe you're doing it too slow or fast? start off screen on the bezel and flick down.

3.yeah desktop work on touch is tricky,but usually this mode is used the most when docked with a keyboard and mouse,or Bluetooth accessories.

4.you swipe up from the bottom to open the "right click menu" on the start screen

5. yep,if you start at the bezel,it will open up charms.

Well, glad you finally got a chance to try out Windows 8 on a touch-screen device. I love a lot of things about Windows 8 as well. But I don't talk about them here.

1. You don't know about semantic zoom? Pinch your fingers on the start screen, you'll get a zoomed out view of all your tiles. you can then click the beginning or end. Very easy and quick to get anywhere on the start screen without scrolling.

4.you swipe up from the bottom to open the "right click menu" on the start screen

1. I know about that. But there are many times I prefer going on a scroll. Just need to kill that habit, and that's all.:p

4. I was talking about selecting a tile XD:

4) You sound like you want to select' date=' not right click (per se). Simply do a quick drag on the item perpendicular to the scrolling direction. A conventional right-click is your old friend click and hold.[/quote']