Photo

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 January 2013 - 20:07

Hi guys, the title says it all: What should I learn for creating cool backgrounds, and amazing details?

I'm already into CSS through MDN (Mozilla Developer Network).

...and, where can I start?

#2 ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)

Posted 07 January 2013 - 13:04

I personal don't use Photoshop or Fireworks. I believe in Illustrator because of the layout structure you need to do in html/css.

#3 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 January 2013 - 13:06

I personal don't use Photoshop or Fireworks. I believe in Illustrator because of the layout structure you need to do in html/css.

#4 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:55

Any more points of views are pretty much appreciated ;)

#5 hotosega

hotosega

Droidberg

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:03

Photoshop has more options and the most tutorials are available for it. I prefer to use Fireworks though. It's like a hybrid of Photoshop and Illustrator. It gives you also more control over the objects.

Smashing Magazine got some good tutorials on it http://fireworks.smashingmagazine.com/

And I think this is a good thing to read: http://fireworks.sma...dobe-fireworks/

Edited by hotosega, 08 January 2013 - 01:08.

#6 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:10

I use photoshop, but If i were learning now I think id go illustrator

I personally don't like Fireworks so -1 for that.

#7 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:51

illustrator will be :)

#8 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:31

i've never used illustrator much, but between photoshop and fireworks, i found back when i still used them that fireworks was much better suited for web design because you can manipulate everything as objects (so you can draw a box and easily change the width/length by just typing in the values you want) whereas in photoshop you can't do that to the same degree.

#9 Iridium

Iridium

Neowinian

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:00

Fireworks is about a kazillion times better than Photoshop for web design. The absolute control of objects with or without the use of layers is amazing. Fireworks dosent have the learning curve required for Photoshop, but almost reaches the same levels of awesome in terms of raster graphics when you reach the levels of awesome. Plus of course Fireworks has vector, which already gives it a jump on Photoshop. I guess Fireworks is the brain child of Macromedia and Photoshop is the brain child of Adobe. Photoshop = digital art, Fireworks = web / UI design/ general purpose. A few years ago I did a university project where I switched away from Photoshop to Fireworks for design in a flash app and everyone else used Photoshop, five years on they are still using my project to show off what is possible in the Interactive Media class.

#10 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:17

I asked a friend of mine who does web design and he said Fireworks all the way. He showed me some of his work and he does some amazing stuff in Fireworks.

#11 JaseChaos

JaseChaos

Neowinian

Posted 12 January 2013 - 16:28

Always used Photoshop and sliced everything, then used Notepad++ to edit the code... But I know most designers prefer Illustrator or Fireworks. Try them all out and decide what's the best and/or easiest for you.

#12 thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 13 January 2013 - 16:59

I love photo shop. I've never had much trouble. Since its photoshop, I can also design all the graphic . I mockup my exact website in photoshop. Almost pixel for pixel.

#13 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 January 2013 - 17:31

If you don't feel like spending money right now, give Inkscape a shot. As much as I think Gimp is not even close to Photoshop, I actually prefer Inkscape over Illustrator for quick drawings.

#14 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 13 January 2013 - 17:50

I love Illistrator, but I'll probably go the Fireworks route soon for webdesign.

I especially like how it manages all graphics files and there's no immediate need to switch programs.

Glassed Silver:ios

#15 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 13 January 2013 - 17:50

See, personally I'm a Photoshop guy, but that's because I was doing this long before Fireworks came out. I never got in with Fireworks interface.

These days, I'm an Illustrator + Photoshop guy for web work.