Live Messenger/Skype ... we're going backwards

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 +i11usive

i11usive

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S5

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:46

I've been a user of WLM for many years now and think it's a great IM client. Now Microsoft are phasing out WLM in favour of the Skype client - which doesn't support tabbed conversations and doesn't allow you to remove profile pictures from the chat screen. Anyone else think this move has sent us backwards?

#2 uMadRabbit

uMadRabbit

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:51

Yep. I also think it's a bad move. Until WLM still works I'll keep using it. The skype UI just doesn't work for me.

#3 keysteele

keysteele

Neowinian

• Phone: Blackberry 9780, looking forward for BB10

Posted 08 January 2013 - 20:38

Whats up with them charging for sharing screens now?? Not impressed

#4 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 08 January 2013 - 20:42

Can't stand the mess this fusion is. :sleep2:

I will hold back as long as possible to be sure to get the most tested and fixed migration experience possible.

We're losing MANY features with this transition. Ridiculous move.
If only they had given Skype more features before doing this. :sleep:

Whats up with them charging for sharing screens now?? Not impressed

They are?
Yaaaay, we're traveling back in time in terms of features.
Monetize everything! :pirate:

Glassed Silver:mac

#5 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 January 2013 - 20:47

I switched over two months ago. It's not WLM but i'm not bothered. I rarely open it. I use my phone mainly if I want to login and chat.

#6 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 08 January 2013 - 20:47

Keep in mind the Skype client is relatively unchanged from when Microsoft bought it. I have been hoping for a major revamp, but I don't think that's coming.

#7 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 08 January 2013 - 20:51

I've been a user of WLM for many years now and think it's a great IM client. Now Microsoft are phasing out WLM in favour of the Skype client - which doesn't support tabbed conversations and doesn't allow you to remove profile pictures from the chat screen. Anyone else think this move has sent us backwards?

The reasoning is simple. people don't use chat clients like they used to, people don't want all these advance features. or rather it's more of a case of many more users and the advanced users who used to use them are now a minority niche group.

#8 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 January 2013 - 20:57

The reasoning is simple. people don't use chat clients like they used to, people don't want all these advance features. or rather it's more of a case of many more users and the advanced users who used to use them are now a minority niche group.

True. I don't even use Skype that much, usually when I do, it's with one person, and we're video chatting.

I don't need tabs, or any of the other junk WLM had. I uninstalled Trillian years ago. AOL messenger I used while I was a freshman in college and fast gave that one up too.

#9 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 08 January 2013 - 21:00

Keep in mind the Skype client is relatively unchanged from when Microsoft bought it. I have been hoping for a major revamp, but I don't think that's coming.

The first order of business for Microsoft was to fire the Skype UX team. They obviously don't understand a single thing in how we/humans use software. Their stupid UI design also continues in the Skype metro app - which is horrible and stupid.

#10 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 January 2013 - 21:01

The first order of business for Microsoft was to fire the Skype UX team. They obviously don't understand a single thing in how we/humans use software. Their stupid UI design also continues in the Skype metro app - which is horrible and stupid.

I prefer the Metro app over the desktop client. It's not as buggy, and it's relatively straight forward.

#11 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 January 2013 - 21:07

Everyone I used to talk to on WLM is on WhatsApp or FB Chat now. I think that's largely due to major problems with WLM. I don't have enough people to test how things have gotten better/worse, so it's a non-issue for me.

#12 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 January 2013 - 21:12

No MSN group chats is a real big wtf.

#13 zeke009

zeke009

yeap...

• Phone: Lumia 920 (AT&T)

Posted 08 January 2013 - 21:15

I hate using Skype for IM on my phone (Lumia 920). Messages rarely arrive unless my phone is awake, unlike using the integrated WLM function they always arrive. Until messaging is that reliable on all platforms, I am hesitant to make a complete conversion.

Part of me wishes that MS had integrated Skype to WLM for video chat. The WLM window is less cluttered than Skype, which looked like a mess the first time I launched it.

Granted, my use of WLM is low (family really).

#14 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 08 January 2013 - 21:16

No MSN group chats is a real big wtf.

how is a group chat any different in skype?

#15 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 January 2013 - 21:19

how is a group chat any different in skype?

Do you not understand english? The skype client doesn't support MSN group chats which is something me and my friends use very often.