Which 27'' display?

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new 27 display, whatever the brand. I would like it to have the following specs:

- compatible with Mac and Xbox (I guess it just means HDMI, I have a rMBP)

- with a USB hub

- good for gaming and work

On a side note, what is the best 27'' in terms of resolution/image quality?

Thanks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116582

Doesn't have a USB hub, but I got one for $250 in Dec. Awesome so far. IPS panel.

Really? just 1080P? My opinion is that isn't nearly enough pixels for such a large screen.

• Like 1

Do you have another recommendation?

Thanks

I registered on this forum just to let you guys in on a little secret.

Everybody and their grandmother knows that the best displays in town have always been from Apple, which is why they are the design standard in the professional world. But everybody and their grandmother knows they are bloody expensive at $1k a pop.

Which is why it was amazing that when I was researching the Apple Cinema Display, which comprises of the highest standard LG 2560x1440 IPS display, is the same display used in Korean off-brand monitors. Making them a complete analogue to Apple's and Dell's overpriced 27" beautiful behemoths.

Whether you chose the Yamakasi Catleap or the Achieva Shimian or any of a number or manufacturers, they are all, for the most part, the exact same, except for the bezel or the design. (Plus some models come with speakers and more display inputs such as HDMI, though I've read its best to stay with just the basic models, no bells whistles)

So to recap a little, there are Korean monitors that are the same as $1000 Apple Cinema Displays and yet they cost 1/3 the price... Oh and did I

mention they fly in from Korea in literally 3 days!!!

The following is a link to an eBay auction with the lowest current price plus he says you can make him an offer for an additional $10-20 off (thats not including the $6 ebay bucks either!)

http://is.gd/6QGeQu

The only disadvantage is warranty, but you could tack one on at point of purchase from 3rd part warranty provider Square-Trade.

So the other option is to go with Micro Center (http://is.gd/Pk0b69) if you have one near by or everyones favorite on-line source for cheap cables and computer junk Monoprice, which announced their re-branded monitor at CES this year

Why buy from Monoprice instead of importing from Korea? It's all about the warranty. Monoprice offers a five dead pixel return policy, which isn't bad, and the monitor comes with a general three year warranty. If one of the Korean monitors breaks down, you're basically out of luck. Monoprice is a bit easier to reach.

The $390 monitor is back-ordered at Monoprice but should ship on March 2nd.

http://is.gd/xqJIj3

Both Micro Center and Monoprice carry theirs for ~$400, but come with 3 year warranties and dead-pixel guarantees to boot!

Good luck and have fun!

P.S. While your at it saving 1/3 of the Apple Price Bump, why not just get yourself 3 and really immerse yourself in the game!!!

P.S.S. You might need some cables http://is.gd/W89y5P or http://is.gd/mWYkQE

It doesn't really matter what kind of "27 inch monitor you get. As long as it's good quality, your good to go. But, I personally recommend LG or Samsung as they provide some great monitors for you to choose from.

Oh and just a tip: Do not get any cheap ones. Get a decent priced one. Not cheap, not expensive. Just right. Okay?

Edited by Kamran Mackey

It doesn't really matter what kind of "27 inch monitor you get. As long as it's good quality, your good to go. But, I personally recommend LG or Samsung as they provide some great monitors for you to choose from.

I have both and they are nice.

I have both and they are nice.

Yes, I agree with you there +RemixedCat. Those 2 brands are amazing. I love them very much because of what great products they offer.

Oh and just a tip: Do not get any cheap ones. Get a decent priced one. Not cheap, not expensive. Just right. Okay?

This is just not true anymore.

Cheap does not always mean crap, because if you read my post you would understand that these so called off-brands are actually using name brand components, just like the big boys at Apple, Dell, Samsung, LG.

And you guys are still just talking about 1080p which is nothing compared to what is coming out in Japan and Korea now (UltraHD 4k and beyond!)

Please all I am asking is to do your research before making such brash judgements.

This is just not true anymore.

Cheap does not always mean crap, because if you read my post you would understand that these so called off-brands are actually using name brand components, just like the big boys at Apple, Dell, Samsung, LG.

And you guys are still just talking about 1080p which is nothing compared to what is coming out in Japan and Korea now (UltraHD 4k and beyond!)

Please all I am asking is to do your research before making such brash judgements.

Hey I'm not giving any brash judgements. We are just helping as that is what we are supposed to do. Aren't we? so yeah. We are just trying to help because that's what nice people do, isn't it? Right. And I never said cheap products were crap. They aren't crap but if you want a good computer monitor, you're gonna have to go into a higher price range.

Do you have another recommendation?

Thanks

Look for an IPS/PLS Screen, 1440P resolution (2560x1440)

Choose an LED Backlight if you don't care about Colour Gamut, CCFL if it is really important to you.

Lots of brands to look at Lacie, Eizo, NEC at the expensive end of the market.

Cheaper brands: Dell, Apple, HP

Cheaper still brands: Samsung, Asus, Hazro

Very cheap brands (cheap, not bad): Catleap etc.

The big question is how much do you want to spend?

I'm also using my monitor for my Xbox and Mac, although I have to switch back and forward on the HDMI. I'd recommend the LG E2742 27" Monitor. The one I have, the color and pixels are amazing.

As already mentioned, don't bother going for a 1080p monitor at that size. The standard resolution for a 27" monitor is 2560x1440, which has a pixel density of 109PPI - it gives you a lot more real estate to work it, as well as all the perks of IPS/PLS (better colour accuracy, higher colour range, better viewing angles, better image quality). The only disadvantage is that it's pretty demanding gaming at that resolution (Mac or PC), so unless you're willing to play at a non-native resolution you'll need a top-end card - if you're simply putting a console through it then it won't matter, as it has to upscale it regardless.