5 replies to this topic

#1 ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 09 January 2013 - 14:27

I think that's Unity right?

Anyway I am in the mood to try Linux yet again so once again I have downloaded Ubuntu. I like the interface all apart from the application menu. I don't like the way it can't be moved from the left hand side of the screen (other than hidden) I would prefer it be a button on the bar at the top that brings up the same application menu. Much link how it was in 10.xx. I know there is kubuntu etc but I like the normal distro all apart from this one feature.

Can anyone advise a work around?

#2 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 09 January 2013 - 14:31

Get Linux Mint with Mate. You can customise it to look like Gnome 2. Mater of factly, Mate = Gnome 2

#3 +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 January 2013 - 20:17

And there are also ways to customize Ubuntu to accomplish that as well. Just have to search for it.

Gnome classic and things like that.

#4 neo158

neo158

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung ATIV S i8750

Posted 11 January 2013 - 20:29

I think that's Unity right?

Anyway I am in the mood to try Linux yet again so once again I have downloaded Ubuntu. I like the interface all apart from the application menu. I don't like the way it can't be moved from the left hand side of the screen (other than hidden) I would prefer it be a button on the bar at the top that brings up the same application menu. Much link how it was in 10.xx. I know there is kubuntu etc but I like the normal distro all apart from this one feature.

Can anyone advise a work around?

Try My Unity and Ubuntu Tweak, I have them installed and I believe one of them has the option you're looking for. Don't forget, this is Linux you can customise it any way you want.

#5 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 11 January 2013 - 20:34

Gnome classic and things like that.

NO, do NOT use gnome classic in gnome 3.6 - it is completely broken and is scheduled to be removed from gnome entirely in 3.8, better to switch to mate or cinnamon or get used to gnome 'new'

#6 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 11 January 2013 - 21:08

try looking at this

http://www.webupd8.o...-bottom-of.html