Ubuntu - Application Menu

I think that's Unity right?

Anyway I am in the mood to try Linux yet again so once again I have downloaded Ubuntu. I like the interface all apart from the application menu. I don't like the way it can't be moved from the left hand side of the screen (other than hidden) I would prefer it be a button on the bar at the top that brings up the same application menu. Much link how it was in 10.xx. I know there is kubuntu etc but I like the normal distro all apart from this one feature.

Can anyone advise a work around?

And there are also ways to customize Ubuntu to accomplish that as well. Just have to search for it.

Gnome classic and things like that.

SK[' timestamp=1357741669' post='595442376]

I think that's Unity right?

Anyway I am in the mood to try Linux yet again so once again I have downloaded Ubuntu. I like the interface all apart from the application menu. I don't like the way it can't be moved from the left hand side of the screen (other than hidden) I would prefer it be a button on the bar at the top that brings up the same application menu. Much link how it was in 10.xx. I know there is kubuntu etc but I like the normal distro all apart from this one feature.

Can anyone advise a work around?

Try My Unity and Ubuntu Tweak, I have them installed and I believe one of them has the option you're looking for. Don't forget, this is Linux you can customise it any way you want.

Gnome classic and things like that.

NO, do NOT use gnome classic in gnome 3.6 - it is completely broken and is scheduled to be removed from gnome entirely in 3.8, better to switch to mate or cinnamon or get used to gnome 'new'