A very light program that offers Hotmail new e-mail notifications

Question

I've used MSN Messenger/WLM to provide me with new e-mail notifications for well over 10 years.

Since WLM is closing down soon, I switched to using the network through Skype, but it does not support new e-mail notifications (yet, at least).

Can anyone suggest a very light program that offers Hotmail new e-mail notifications?

I don't even mind if the program's purpose is purely to provide this feature. I prefer it, in fact. The lighter the better.

I do not want to install Windows Live Mail as it's too heavy considering I would only use it for e-mail notifications, and I'd rather not keep WLM installed and connected just for e-mail notifications if possible.

7 answers to this question

There's a Chrome Extension that does it.

I use Firefox, but even so, that would require the browser to always be open.

I was hoping for a light system tray app or something.

trillian?

also did some googleing and there really doesn't appear to be any stand alone desktop notifiers around anymore, everyone just recommends pinning hotmail to the taskbar with IE9 to use it's built in notification system

trillian?

also did some googleing and there really doesn't appear to be any stand alone desktop notifiers around anymore, everyone just recommends pinning hotmail to the taskbar with IE9 to use it's built in notification system

Yeh, it sucks :(

I didn't have a need for anything like it either until I discovered Microsoft was closing WLM down.

I use Firefox, but even so, that would require the browser to always be open.

I was hoping for a light system tray app or something.

Just for the record, Chrome extensions can notify you even when the browser is closed.