Photo

Battlefield 3 on 3 screens; Eyefinity. Is it worth it?

bf3 eyefinity battlefield

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

Posted 09 January 2013 - 20:03

Does anyone here have any positive experiences with a 3 screen eyefinity set up?

http://www.amd.com/u.../eyefinity.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1BS-edKw0k

I'm not worried about the power/performance aspect. I'm more wondering if the investment in another 2 identical screens would pay off in a memorable way or is it more of a gimmick?

I'm using a 24" monitor, too big?

#2 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

Posted 09 January 2013 - 20:11

I've heard nothing but headaches when it comes to Eyefinity. I was recommended a GeForce GTX 650 and it works awesome.

#3 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 January 2013 - 20:18

About as useful as using three screens for gaming. Personally it is just a way to say "look i have money to burn". :laugh:
Unless it allows you to customize each screen then i don't see the point to multi-monitor gaming. Supreme Commander if i remember correctly, that allowed you to use a big map for the second monitor.

#4 McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• Phone: Xperia Z3

Posted 09 January 2013 - 20:25

The bezels would just distract me..

#5 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 09 January 2013 - 20:35

i'd say you'd be wasting your money. BF3 looks great, but isnt a very memorable game. i might not even play it again even though i enjoyed my run-through. That being said, you're better off getting a card that can max out the settings in the game. That's where the game really shines.

#6 Zimmyantz

Zimmyantz

Neowinian

Posted 09 January 2013 - 20:47

Ditto

#7 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 09 January 2013 - 20:59

This. The bezels would make it feel too unnatural and it creates an extra ~4 inches of dead space.

#8 OP madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

Posted 10 January 2013 - 17:40

BF3 looks great, but isnt a very memorable game.
you're better off getting a card that can max out the settings in the game.

I've had some very memorable moments but I play with a group of RL friends on TS. Maxing the settings isn't an issue.

The bezels

Then where is the 3x extra wide monitor with 48:9 resolution?

Is it possible to make a, say 46", display a 48:9 res with black bars?

According to AMD's website; the center screen, in an eyefinity setup, is the same display as playing on a single screen. The right and left monitors add that much more to the peripheral viewing, which I find to be a great advantage.

#9 Slammers

Slammers

Neowinian

Posted 10 January 2013 - 21:46

i'd say you'd be wasting your money. BF3 looks great, but isnt a very memorable game. i might not even play it again even though i enjoyed my run-through. That being said, you're better off getting a card that can max out the settings in the game. That's where the game really shines.

Erm. You must be talking about single player. BF3 is one of the most memorable games out. Why anyone would ever play even half the campaign is beyond me. Load it back up and jump into multiplayer. Youll invest over 100 hours easy.

#10 vetMathachew

Mathachew

Wise beyond my youth... that's what she said!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 10 January 2013 - 21:55

Zing!

#11 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 11 January 2013 - 15:49

Erm. You must be talking about single player. BF3 is one of the most memorable games out. Why anyone would ever play even half the campaign is beyond me. Load it back up and jump into multiplayer. Youll invest over 100 hours easy.

i liked the single player. it's just not something i'm clamoring to play over and over. i dont do multiplayer. too much time and you never beat it!

#12 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 January 2013 - 15:57

Been using 3 monitors since 05, bezels were never a problem for me. You just need a powerful card to take advantages of high resolutions/settings to make the most of it. 7970 does it for me.

#13 StrikedOut

StrikedOut

Outside the box

Posted 11 January 2013 - 15:59

Tried BF3 multiplayer and I prefer Planetside 2.

Agree about the bezels though, 2 big black lines running down through your game would definitely annoy me.

#14 OP madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

Posted 17 January 2013 - 22:19

But how can the bezels be that much of an issue if the center screen remains identical whether or not it's solo or with 2 others...?
Your focus would not change.

The left and right screens act as peripheral enhancements allowing you to spot important items/enemies sooner.

It seems to me, unless I am missing something, that a 3 screen set-up is a obvious and big advantage.

#15 Sharinel

Sharinel

Neowinian

Posted 17 January 2013 - 23:03

As someone with 3 screens, I can tell you that after about 30 secs you never notice the bezels. For an overview of what bf3 looks like have a look here.
http://www.wsgf.org/dr/battlefield-3