ps vita vita sony playstation

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 10 January 2013 - 15:13

It doesn't seem to be the hardware; everyone agrees it is good. Is it just the price? Proprietary memory cards? Software library? Dumb name? Are people just uninterested in handhelds? Are people uninterested in a Sony handheld?

#2 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 10 January 2013 - 15:19

1. price
2. expensive, stupid, required, proprietary memory cards
3. there are some great games, but not enough.

#3 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Don't stop BOlieving!

• Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 10 January 2013 - 15:38

1. price

Bingo. Bingo. Bingo. (Y) (Y) (Y)

If it was sold for, say, £50 less than at launch (so £180 for Wi-Fi and £230 for Wi-Fi + 3G), I reckon there would have been a lot more people queuing up on launch night. But not a lot, due to those stupid proprietary memory cards. They didn't learn their lesson with the PSP and the Memory Stick Duo format. This just makes people hate you for refusing to follow established standard in order to rip your customers off. For example, a quick search on Amazon shows a SanDisk 32GB SDHC card (the worldwide standard format) for £14. A 32GB SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo: £54. A 32GB Sony PlayStation Vita Memory Card: £60. So because of Sony's greed, you're forced to pay more than 400% the amount of an SD card for the same amount of storage in your PS Vita. It's like the original 20GB hard drive for the Xbox 360 (which if, like me, you only had a Core model, would eventually be required, due to the tiny 256MB memory cards); that cost £60. Proprietary forms of storage are only there to rip you off and squeeze as much money out of you as possible. It's a far cry from the PS3, where you can use any 2.5" hard drive you please for storage. And now in the new 360s, actually (although you do need to insert a bit of foam in there to stop the hard drive moving about).

#4 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 10 January 2013 - 22:51

1. price

On number 3 i'd also say it lacks system sellers. There may be a couple titles that are interesting on the vita, but nothing that makes me say "I must buy one of these asap!". And i'm sure i'm not the only one who says that.

Also, i'd add a #4 and label it as "how very badly they handled backwards compatibility".

#5 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 11 January 2013 - 22:55

1. price

Bingo.

The memory cards are ridiculous. With such a large part of the good content being digital (PS1 classics/PSN games), some people will miss out on it entirely due to having a small memory card and having to rely on retail titles.

Sony have to learn that one great way to sell the Vita is by cramming the digital scene full of lovely indie games right up to higher budget, but reasonably priced, top tier titles. In order for the users to experience all of that to the fullest they need big memory cards. Stop relying on memory cards to try and make you profit and get big cards to everyone and then proceed to market the hell out of the digital scene.

They have it backwards right now, this isn't the PS2 era when memory cards could be price gouged and it be a successful ploy.

#6 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:59

1. price

All this and... lets face it, a good (easy) hack for homebrew, emulators, ....

#7 BoredBozirini

BoredBozirini

Bozrini Tringuini

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:56

Price and the fact that it brings nothing new. Its a PSP with better specs.

#8 Blaze_Zewi

Blaze_Zewi

Neowinian

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:10

1. price

.4 User Interface

#9 Roxkis

Roxkis

Neowinian

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:57

Should have made it with Android and watch people shove money into their hands.
But I think android would be awesome on most devices...like the lumia 920...Q.Q

Also would have helped if they didn't rape people for them memory cards. Its a shame such nice hardware
is going to waste.

#10 ShadowMajestic

ShadowMajestic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:08

Bingo.

The memory cards are ridiculous. With such a large part of the good content being digital (PS1 classics/PSN games), some people will miss out on it entirely due to having a small memory card and having to rely on retail titles.

Sony have to learn that one great way to sell the Vita is by cramming the digital scene full of lovely indie games right up to higher budget, but reasonably priced, top tier titles. In order for the users to experience all of that to the fullest they need big memory cards. Stop relying on memory cards to try and make you profit and get big cards to everyone and then proceed to market the hell out of the digital scene.

They have it backwards right now, this isn't the PS2 era when memory cards could be price gouged and it be a successful ploy.

I own a Vita and its a wonderfull thing really. But Sony dropped a ball. Just slowly its having cross games (PS3/vita), very..very few games support the Vita as an addon on the PS3 (i have yet to find any). PSN+ just came to the Vita much to late (only available like a month now). The PSN+ makes the Vita really worth the purchase though :)
The memory card is absolutely horrible, I have the largest one available and I keep ending up deleting games and what not just cause I keep going out on space. Which is the biggest letdown in my opinion.
The camera is a real waste aswell, they could've put a better one in it, the 320pixels is absolutely horrible :p

#11 Invizibleyez

Invizibleyez

Neowinian

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:09

Sony has basically always done the proprietary thing more than anyone. Even I was shocked when I heard that the PS Vita needed a PS Vita Memory card that NOTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD uses, not even Sony products. And then to see what they cost! It's insanity! I guess the PSP Go didn't teach them anything, people don't want to waste their time redownloading games because they didn't have the room, and most people don't want to spend the money on a system that requires expensive memory cards. I just got a PS Vita at Christmas in a bundle with a 4GB Vita card and Assassins Creed. Well, the memory card is small, just a couple small games, or maybe 2 Vita games fit on it. And, well, theres the Assassins Creed: Liberation bugs.... they suck.

#12 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 14 January 2013 - 15:19

Sony has basically always done the proprietary thing more than anyone. Even I was shocked when I heard that the PS Vita needed a PS Vita Memory card that NOTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD uses, not even Sony products. And then to see what they cost! It's insanity! I guess the PSP Go didn't teach them anything, people don't want to waste their time redownloading games because they didn't have the room, and most people don't want to spend the money on a system that requires expensive memory cards. I just got a PS Vita at Christmas in a bundle with a 4GB Vita card and Assassins Creed. Well, the memory card is small, just a couple small games, or maybe 2 Vita games fit on it. And, well, theres the Assassins Creed: Liberation bugs.... they suck.

i bought the 32GB card only b/c i had a gift card. i find that the 32GB card is almost a requirement. i cant imagine the 4GB card. i have a few downloaded games and they really chew up the space. on top of that, when you start downloading some videos or adding your own, the card's space is gone.

#13 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 14 January 2013 - 15:23

The iPhone, iPad, Android Phone/Tablets.. Tons of great games on those devices.. I know they are not as in depth as some of the Vita games.. but I don't think anyone really cares anymore.. You can get games like dead space on the iOS/Android..

#14 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 14 January 2013 - 15:25

Smartphones? Seriously, most people today would rather just buy a game for their phones that they already have, rather than spend more money on yet another gadget.

#15 Gaffney

Gaffney

I have no title

Posted 14 January 2013 - 15:32

Because the PSP flopped over many years, it will take a lot of work or time to recover from that. The Nintendo DS does so well because it built a reputation for it's self.