What is holding back the Vita?

ps vita vita sony playstation

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 14 January 2013 - 20:43

I feel it has to do with many things... I'll see if i can list what I believe is holding them back properly.
1) Mobile gaming is really for kids. As an adult, I'm not in situations enough that make buying such an expensive item worth it. If I am traveling, I'm normally the one driving. If I'm going to some place, I normally can't just game, as I am with friends, or some other imporant task that just doesn't warrant lugging a portable gaming only device. These things are more for kids, who have the spare time while out and about to game. It just isn't practical for most adults, though it is right now, aimed towards the older gaming audience.
2) Lack of games and lack of advertisement. When it was first released, there were a few commercials. Now, I haven't seen a single one in probably 2 months. The only time I even see the Vita is when I am actually looking up a game and there happens to be a Vita version.
3) Price still plays an imporant factor. For the price of this, you can get a great smart phone or tablet basically. People want multi-use devices nowadays, at least the majority does.
4)PSP didn't do so well, so many are still wondering what the support will be like for this. Since it is off to a very very slow start, it will have trouble gaining confidence amongst gamers.

#17 OP compl3x

compl3x

✮؛✮؛✮؛✮؛✮

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 15 January 2013 - 00:39

Was the PSP a flop?

Posted Image

71+ million units sold worldwide, idk if that can be considered a flop.

#18 Kamran Mackey

Kamran Mackey

Apple Fanatic

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:53

I think the Vita is pretty good. The price has nothing to do with it. It's just the decision people make. That's why the Vita isn't that popular.

#19 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:49

Mobile phones which are just as good, if not better.

#20 S00N3R FR3AK

S00N3R FR3AK

Champion

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:35

Better in what way? Not a phone on the market has a screen to match the OLED on the vita or the graphics it can produce. I have yet to find a game on a mobile device that plays as well as something on my 3DS or Vita.

#21 OP compl3x

compl3x

✮؛✮؛✮؛✮؛✮

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:01

lol

#22 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:08

lol. You got to be on something pretty strong to beleive something like that.

#23 0nyX

0nyX

Posting from Apple //c

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:40

SONY

#24 +dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SII

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:43

If you're talking about Android at all, I'll just sit here laughing. I've got so few games to play (that I actually find interesting) compared to iOS at that I'm very much disappointed in that regard. (not that I don't like Android though, but c'mon)

#25 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 15 January 2013 - 15:45

Was the PSP a flop?

Posted Image

71+ million units sold worldwide, idk if that can be considered a flop.

Compared to other portable systems, it is. DS has sold over 150 million. 3DS is about the same.
It's not also though how many units were sold, but the library and life of the system. At least in the American market, the PSP didn't do so hot.

#26 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:23

I wanted to get a PSP Vita for my step-son on Christmas soooo bad. We ended up getting him an iPod Touch. The iPod Touch was cheaper and had more of the "web flash game port" style games that a 10 year old is interested in. He can also use his allowance to go buy a $15 iTunes gift card and with that buy enough games to last him a month. With the PSP Vita he would have to save up for a single game that he may or may not like. Also, the PSP Vita didn't have Minecraft.

I wanted the PSP Vita though. I already have iOS stuff and I wanted to play with a PSP Vita damn it! Oh well.

#27 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:38

Waiting for a "tales of..." Bundle with it to actually buy it... but I would actually prefer a "tales of..." game on android rather than in any proprietary handheld.

#28 Xerino

Xerino

The Mouth

Posted 24 January 2013 - 17:47

other than the obvious memory card problem, it just doesnt have the software, NEED MOAR GAME!!!!

#29 johnnyq3

johnnyq3

Neowinian

Posted 24 January 2013 - 23:25

And that is the reason why the Vita isn't selling as well as the 3DS.

#30 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 24 January 2013 - 23:38

I don't realy see phones as taking over in gaming... The controls are still just too akward and the games themselves just , at least for me, don't do it. Sure, I have plenty of games and roms on my phone, but I never really play them.
I don't think phones are really hurting it, its just that mobile gaming for us older folks, in which the Vita at least seems to be targeting, just don't mobile game as much, or see it as a priority to get such an expensive item.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!