• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:32

Posted Image

While the general perception is that this generation has been "won" by Microsoft -- largely due to the Xbox 360's dominance in North America -- analyst firm IDC's data now shows a slight advantage for Sony's PlayStation 3.

In a new report entitled "Worldwide Video Game and Entertainment Console Hardware and Packaged Software 2012-2016," IDC says that Sony passed Microsoft's worldwide numbers in the recent holiday season. PlayStation 3's worldwide sales numbers now stand at 77 million, compared to Xbox 360's 76 million.

This near dead heat is surprisingly, considering that Sony got a late start in this generation, and has struggled to catch Microsoft in the U.S. and Canada. It's also worth noting that -- despite the previous conventional wisdom -- the video game market in this generation was robust enough to support not one, but three, successful home game consoles (including Nintendo's Wii).

Source: IDC via Digital Trends

http://www.gameinfor...e-xbox-360.aspx

#2 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:55

Sorry, this is false and based on a prediction and not actual fact.

#3 watkinsx2

watkinsx2

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC One/Lumia 920

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:33

A slight advantage hardly means its been eclipsed.

#4 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:22

These reports always seems funny to me, how there's always someone saying PS3 is catching up or has caught up... but how would that be possible when month after month, the 360 shows higher sales numbers... maybe it's just me, but it seems impossible to catch up and overtake someone when you have lower numbers.

#5 OP compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:54

These reports always seems funny to me, how there's always someone saying PS3 is catching up or has caught up... but how would that be possible when month after month, the 360 shows higher sales numbers... maybe it's just me, but it seems impossible to catch up and overtake someone when you have lower numbers.

Maybe that is in only one region. Probably the U.S.

#6 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:09

Always stop reading when it's not official figures. "An analyst company IDC". this always rings alarm bells because these companies make money reporting things like this and the more sensationalist the story the more they earn so take it with a pinch of salt.

I'm an XBOX user but if this turned out to be correct i'd relish it. Nothing spurns innovation like some good healthy competition!

#7 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:11

If these figures end up coming to fruition, Sony should remember this as "the good ole days" as if/when they decide to put that stupid new patent they applied for into place, they're going to be praying for figures like these!

#8 RatherLargeBear

RatherLargeBear

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:18

Nowhere in those 'numbers' does it show that the PlayStation sales has 'eclipsed' the Xbox 360. Hell, even the original article doesn't even contain the word eclipsed
You have made up a sensationalist headline for thread views, with unfounded rubbish.

#9 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:45

The source site is GameInformer. Those guys are always dead on the money with scoops and news. I believe them if they say its eclipsing the Xbox.

#10 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:18

The source site is GameInformer. Those guys are always dead on the money with scoops and news. I believe them if they say its eclipsing the Xbox.

/s ?

#11 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:28

Maybe that is in only one region. Probably the U.S.

That's the only region that matters!

#12 thechronic

thechronic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 January 2013 - 13:22

It doesn't matter which console has sold the most. It doesn't matter what other people think. If you enjoy the console you have then that is enough.

I've owned an XBOX 360, a Playstation 3, a Nintendo Wii and i loved them all for very different but valid reasons.

Seriously guys, stop acting like children.

#13 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 11 January 2013 - 13:55

It doesn't matter which console has sold the most. It doesn't matter what other people think. If you enjoy the console you have then that is enough.

I've owned an XBOX 360, a Playstation 3, a Nintendo Wii and i loved them all for very different but valid reasons.

Seriously guys, stop acting like children.

Good luck with that. For some reason certain people just feel the need to pledge their allegiance to a piece of plastic with components inside of it. It is why I made these signature over 4 years ago.
Posted Image

It dumbfounds me that 4 years later, people are still fighting about which console is better. I never got it, always thought it was childish and immature, but now I REALLY do not get it.
I mean seriously, who cares which console is better? Does it really affect your life one way or the other? Like what you want to like and move on.

So yeah, whether these numbers are true or not, I would say chances are very, very good, they will come true eventually. People keep forgetting a few very important things. US Sales are not everything. Ditto for Europe. And in a lot of other parts in the world, Sony is still known as the brand for video game consoles, which has almost everything to do with the PS 2. Also the PS3 also doubles as a BluRay Player. So that is going to push its appeal towards people for a bit longer as well. What a lot of people also fail to realize is a decent amount of the world are not wealthy. They have to wait years until they can afford a console like this. So once those people are looking at a console, the PS3 will probably be the one they go with because of the PS2's success and possibly because of the addition of the BluRay Player. So yeah, this probably will be the reality of things eventually regardless. So those who somehow get butt hurt over sales might as well just accept it now and move on with things. And or better yet, grow up and not care at all.

#14 AbandonedTrolley

AbandonedTrolley

Dexter Freak

Posted 11 January 2013 - 14:03

It dumbfounds me that 4 years later, people are still fighting about which console is better.

Me too, surely everyone knows it's the PS3 by now! /s

As others have said, just enjoy your console if it has games you like then go play them and stop arguing on a forum that it's better than the other. For me I've often thought about picking up a 360 but then I think "I already have a console with a backlog of games, why get another for a few exclusives and pay a monthly fee to pay online" that just doesn't work for me. Maybe with the next generation if the Microsoft offering seems a better option I will go that way instead. But there is still no way that I would pay a monthly sub to play online if a competitor is offering a similar machine and service for free.

#15 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 11 January 2013 - 14:17

Regardless of sales figures, most people acknowledge that the X360 has won the current-gen. I'm not one for console gaming myself - so I really couldn't care less - but my brother has the Wii, X360 and PS3 and he says he barely plays the PS3 or Wii now, as he much prefers the X360. It tends to be the lead platform for multi-platform titles, which is why the PS3 has had some really bad ports (GTA4, Skyrim, etc). He still buys PS3 exclusive games so he doesn't regret his purchase - it's just not his main platform.

Perception matters.