• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 11 January 2013 - 21:01

Regardless of sales figures, most people acknowledge that the X360 has won the current-gen. I'm not one for console gaming myself - so I really couldn't care less - but my brother has the Wii, X360 and PS3 and he says he barely plays the PS3 or Wii now, as he much prefers the X360. It tends to be the lead platform for multi-platform titles, which is why the PS3 has had some really bad ports (GTA4, Skyrim, etc). He still buys PS3 exclusive games so he doesn't regret his purchase - it's just not his main platform.

Perception matters.

Because your brothers opinion is all that matters in the gaming world right? :rofl:
Yes, in the US, the XBox has clearly won this generation, but go ask a Japanese gamers how often he touches his XBox 360. He will say never, as chances are extremely high he does not even own it.

So yes, perception is everything. So you may want to realize your perception is not the same as someone else's perception. And for that matter a person in the US's perception is not the same as someone in Japan for example.

And just off topic, GTA4 was a bad port on the PS3?

#17 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 January 2013 - 21:08

Considering that Japan market is lost for the X360, I'm surprise that the number is not higher for the PS3... It should have sold allot better. After all, it was, at the time, the cheapest Blu-Ray player you could buy.

The Wii was/is a HUGE success, but seeing the numbers for the Wii U, I guess people got wiser this time around. The Wii is probably under lots of dust in many houses, so no big rush to buy the next generation with that big tablet gamepad.

#18 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 11 January 2013 - 21:35

Considering that Japan market is lost for the X360, I'm surprise that the number is not higher for the PS3... It should have sold allot better. After all, it was, at the time, the cheapest Blu-Ray player you could buy.

The Wii was/is a HUGE success, but seeing the numbers for the Wii U, I guess people got wiser this time around. The Wii is probably under lots of dust in many houses, so no big rush to buy the next generation with that big tablet gamepad.

I like both, but the reason the 360 has such high numbers for sells is also due to how often it broke and had to be rebought. I worked in the department that handled 360 issues, and the turnout rate on those things was insane the first few years due to faulty hardware. But everything about it is/was still pretty good, that the fanbase didn't let a few deaths deter them from getting another.

#19 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 11 January 2013 - 21:35

BluRay never took off like they expected, and at the time when the PS3 was the cheapest/best BD player, people really didn't care about bluRays as the movies themselves where to expensive and few had a full hd tv anyway.

#20 efjay

efjay

Neowinian

Posted 11 January 2013 - 21:44

How does "This near dead heat" become eclipsed?

#21 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 January 2013 - 21:45

I like both, but the reason the 360 has such high numbers for sells is also due to how often it broke and had to be rebought. I worked in the department that handled 360 issues, and the turnout rate on those things was insane the first few years due to faulty hardware. But everything about it is/was still pretty good, that the fanbase didn't let a few deaths deter them from getting another.

Except the majority of them got repaired for free, and those that sold/gave them away, gave them to other peopl who ha them fixed, so there was actually very little market loss. and lets not pretend the PS3 hasn't had a fairly high rate of fault post launch either, with the difference that just as with the PS2, Sony didn't take repsonsibility for the problems and didn't offer extended warranty repairs.

Either way they are both fairly equal in sold units, or so is the claim from some analysts, though that still seems weird since global sales numbers (Japan excluded) still puts the xbox at higher sales(US) or fairly even ground with minor fluctuations to and from(Europe). and Japan isn't big enough to balance out America,.

Still a moot point, software sales/attach rate is what really matters anyway, well for the developers/publishers. which is kind of a catch 22, as the Wii showed, low attach rate mean few third parties, few third parties mean... low attach rate...

#22 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 11 January 2013 - 21:53

Except the majority of them got repaired for free, and those that sold/gave them away, gave them to other peopl who ha them fixed, so there was actually very little market loss. and lets not pretend the PS3 hasn't had a fairly high rate of fault post launch either, with the difference that just as with the PS2, Sony didn't take repsonsibility for the problems and didn't offer extended warranty repairs.

Either way they are both fairly equal in sold units, or so is the claim from some analysts, though that still seems weird since global sales numbers (Japan excluded) still puts the xbox at higher sales(US) or fairly even ground with minor fluctuations to and from(Europe). and Japan isn't big enough to balance out America,.

Still a moot point, software sales/attach rate is what really matters anyway, well for the developers/publishers. which is kind of a catch 22, as the Wii showed, low attach rate mean few third parties, few third parties mean... low attach rate...

Not really, for the first year, you had to pay. After that, it was only those who knew about it. Many people who sent in their consoles to be repaired, also ended up buying another console while theirs was away, just so they woudn't miss out on gaming. Again, I worked there, I don't need to be told what you think about how many it was.
At the beginning, the 360 had almost a 60%+ failure rate, and up til around 2011, it was around 30%-50% failure rate. They have gotten much better, but to say it isn't that big of a deal, is just throwing away something that really did boost it's sales.
PS3 failure rate has been around 11% consistant. So no, you can't say they are even. And while they didn't offer compensation, it wasn't an epidimic as it was for the 360.
But, if you want to ignore that from someone who worked there, and saw really what it was like, go ahead.
And also, you can't say "global sales" and then exclude japan. That's not global. Could basically say the PS3 sold better in global sales, excluding America :p
Japan

Population: 127,817,277 (2011)

Again, not bashing any console, just reporting facts.

I bet everyone here has had their 360 crap out on them at last once, if they bought it around 5 years ago.

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 January 2013 - 22:18

Not really, for the first year, you had to pay.

Nope for the first year you had regular warranty, even in America despite it's lack of consumer protection laws.

over here I would have had 5 year reclamation with or without MS' extended warranty. granted they actually offered free repairs beyond 5 years.

Then there's the little fact that, the RROD generally didn't trigger until a year after use, which is why it wasn't detected in the first place. the only people it triggered earlier for was people who regularly turned it on and off a LOT. causing temperature fluctuations. Being on all the time was in fact better. Regular use with being on "onc to twice"* a day and off during the night wouldn't trigger it until after about a years time or more.

*off to change disc/games doesn't count as it doesn't have time to cool down.

Many people who sent in their consoles to be repaired, also ended up buying another console while theirs was away, just so they woudn't miss out on gaming.

and as I said, these guys sold or gave the other one away, and thus, they where still in use. Also I think you're over using the word "many" a little bit. some core gamers with too much money or parents that spoil them, yes.

And actually, at the beginning the failure rate was the regular 5%, lower in fact, at around a year it hit 20%, and the 60% is only an estimate from third parties, never released as a confirmed value.

And while the PS3 failure rate was 11%, which is still over twice the industry standard, and it's gotten progressively worse. there's the difference, these 11% are effectively OUT, they're "dead", well not all of them, in europe they get repaired, and some of them would be in warranty in the US as well. but unlike the 360 the ones out of warranty don't get repaired and are effectively out.

And I didn't exclude Japan, I merely pointed out they're not enough to out balance the American sales. you also have to remember that the young" population in Japan are very small, with 60% above or near retirement age. so the PS3 target demographic is much smaller in Japan.

Also my 360 did a RROD about umm I think 2 years into it's life, and was repaired. Later I bought an Elite, just for the bigger HDD, and my old box was handed down. and my GF bought a Slim before we moved in together, so now we have one in the living room and one in the upstairs living room. so we can both play different games.

#24 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 11 January 2013 - 22:42

It ran at a lower resolution upscaled (680 or 640p?), but with the "smear filter" Rockstar applied to GTA4 it looks like crap on all consoles (IMO). I've been playing it again recently on my PS3 and it's still awesome, the graphics simply weren't a strong point of the game though, more so the scope was back when it was released. I do hope GTA5 is a bit less serious (at times, not 100% saints row mentality), or more fun, whatever you want to say was lacking a bit in GTA4.

With sales being so even there isn't really much to argue, the gamers have spoken with their wallets this generation and bought consoles when they have wanted to. The last few years have been good to the PS3, the start not so much, but a sale is a sale whether it comes now or 3 years ago. 2013 looks like an excellent year for the PS3 on the exclusives front (Wii/360 look to be tiring), labelling Sony the tortoise is not a bad call, they always show up with the goods, at some point :p In typical PS development fashion the best looking titles are coming out pretty late (Uncharted 2 was simply outstanding at it's time mind you, and even now). I do hope from the get go next generation we do not have the typical PS development moaning/issues/timeline, yeah it's awesome to see the PS3 produce The Last of Us now, 7 years on, but there was a lot of multiplatform pain for months.

One thing this generation has taught is the incoming console wars arguing 6 months after the release of the next consoles will most likely grey your hair, make you tired and lose you friends, and ultimately you will be waiting years for any real statistical results (that don't REALLY matter as long as your platform is supported well). In other words for the most part, completely pointless. I've learned a lot from my own experience, and a large part of that was due to growing up I guess :p

#25 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 11 January 2013 - 22:44

Because your brothers opinion is all that matters in the gaming world right? :rofl:

Definitely. ;)

Yes, in the US, the XBox has clearly won this generation, but go ask a Japanese gamers how often he touches his XBox 360. He will say never, as chances are extremely high he does not even own it.

All you did was point out the one territory that is the exception. Other than that most people without a vested interest in either platform consider the X360 to be the victor, as most multi-platform games have the X360 as the lead platform as the X360 version of a game usually outsells the PS3 version. Not that it concerns me, as I'm a PC gamer and think both consoles are pretty terrible.

It ran at a lower resolution than the X360 version and suffered from slow down... so yeah.

#26 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 12 January 2013 - 00:13

Nope for the first year you had regular warranty, even in America despite it's lack of consumer protection laws.

over here I would have had 5 year reclamation with or without MS' extended warranty. granted they actually offered free repairs beyond 5 years.

Then there's the little fact that, the RROD generally didn't trigger until a year after use, which is why it wasn't detected in the first place. the only people it triggered earlier for was people who regularly turned it on and off a LOT. causing temperature fluctuations. Being on all the time was in fact better. Regular use with being on "onc to twice"* a day and off during the night wouldn't trigger it until after about a years time or more.

*off to change disc/games doesn't count as it doesn't have time to cool down.

and as I said, these guys sold or gave the other one away, and thus, they where still in use. Also I think you're over using the word "many" a little bit. some core gamers with too much money or parents that spoil them, yes.

And actually, at the beginning the failure rate was the regular 5%, lower in fact, at around a year it hit 20%, and the 60% is only an estimate from third parties, never released as a confirmed value.

And while the PS3 failure rate was 11%, which is still over twice the industry standard, and it's gotten progressively worse. there's the difference, these 11% are effectively OUT, they're "dead", well not all of them, in europe they get repaired, and some of them would be in warranty in the US as well. but unlike the 360 the ones out of warranty don't get repaired and are effectively out.

And I didn't exclude Japan, I merely pointed out they're not enough to out balance the American sales. you also have to remember that the young" population in Japan are very small, with 60% above or near retirement age. so the PS3 target demographic is much smaller in Japan.

Also my 360 did a RROD about umm I think 2 years into it's life, and was repaired. Later I bought an Elite, just for the bigger HDD, and my old box was handed down. and my GF bought a Slim before we moved in together, so now we have one in the living room and one in the upstairs living room. so we can both play different games.

Nope. Here in America, the original Xbox 360 warranty was only 90 days. It didn't get extended until the backlash was too much. Many people paid. I worked there. What about that do you not get? I have more knowledge about the actual going-ons with that division. What you read, isn't the whole story, and I saw more than what was actually reported.
360 came out around March 2005, extended warranty wasn't added until around the end of 2006. I know this **** man, I was one of the guysbehind the scene :p

And no, you can't discount Japan. Young? Sorry, but gaming isn't just for the young. Many older people game now. Unless you are getting at mostly kids just buy the 360 :p

Worldwide sales figures

Overall, the Wii would outsell its competitors worldwide. However, Wii sales considerably fell in 2012. To this day, the PS3 and xbox 360 have been catching up. Nevertheless, the Wii has still outsold its rivals by about 30 million units. Japan sales figures
  • Wii – 11,534,590 as of 1 April 2011[56]
  • PlayStation 3 – 6,341,950 as of 1 April 2011[56]
  • Xbox 360 – 1,448,665 as of 1 April 2011[56]
Europe sales figures

• Wii – 24.9 million as of December 2010[57]
  • PlayStation 3 – 19.7 million as of December 2010[57]
  • Xbox 360 – 13.7 million as of December 2010[57]
United States sales figures

• Wii – 30 million as of 10 August 2010[58]
  • Xbox 360 – 18.7 million as of 31 December 2009[59]
  • PlayStation 3 - nearly 12 million as of 14 April 2010[60]

So nice way to try and discredit almost 7 million ( or more ) console sales ( as of this time ) because you don't feel it is right.

#27 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:50

yes, older people as in up to the 40's. however, japan the majority is hitting 60s+, these are not gamers, not even in Japan.

#28 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:45

I love this! it's 2007 all over! i'm five years younger, and neowin is a thriving community, and we're all still playing the first Gears and Lost Planet!

no it's not...too bad. good for Sony if this is true, and about ****ing time. they went from complete domination, to perhaps making second place numerically at a stage in the generation when it really doesn't matter anymore. and attach rate is what "won" this amazing generation. plus there are not losers. everyone gained from the last seven years, which have been beyond spectacular for gaming.

#29 OP compl3x

compl3x

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:51

Why does posting a topic about sales always lead to accusation of fanboyism? I thought it was an interesting article, nothing more.

Perhaps if people weren't so damn sensitive about their platform, posting topics like this wouldn't have these kinds of effects.

#30 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:39

You guys really need to get your info from neogaf.com because a lot of the gaming news on neowin is either old or grossly wrong in this case.

I don't care either way, you can either believe in facts or you can believe in this fantasy. At the end of the day I suppose it makes no difference, but I like to deal with facts.