Router keeps losing WAN IP

This is getting frustrating beyond belief.

It started about a week ago, every single day my router loses the wan ip. Sometimes twice a day. To "fix" the problem, I have to disconnect power to both the router and the modem.

I've tried switching out the modem, still does it. I've tried switching routers, still does it.

I've tried calling charter, completely useless. I don't know what to do!

My main router is a Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT on it, and my modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB5100. I also have a second router for Vonage, Motorola VT2442 (which we've had for years).

What the hell is going on?

I've seen that happen, but usually it's just the cable modem acting up. Though once it turned out to be the router I had (an old Linksys WRT54GL with a flaky WAN port).

One last thing you could try, maybe temporarily use the Motorola SB5100 as your main firewall/router for a week or two & see if the problem still occurs. (e.g. remove your Linksys WRT54G from the network). Perhaps lightning struck twice & you ended up with not one, but two bad routers? If it's still happening, call your ISP & explain that you only have the SB5100 in the network now & the problem still occurs. ISPs love to blame the issue on something else in your network ;)

But yeah, Detection is right. Offhand it does sound like an ISP issue, you may need to shop around for a new ISP if they really have no interest fixing it for you.

I've seen that happen, but usually it's just the cable modem acting up. Though once it turned out to be the router I had (an old Linksys WRT54GL with a flaky WAN port).

One last thing you could try, maybe temporarily use the Motorola SB5100 as your main firewall/router for a week or two & see if the problem still occurs. (e.g. remove your Linksys WRT54G from the network). Perhaps lightning struck twice & you ended up with not one, but two bad routers? If it's still happening, call your ISP & explain that you only have the SB5100 in the network now & the problem still occurs. ISPs love to blame the issue on something else in your network ;)

But yeah, Detection is right. Offhand it does sound like an ISP issue, you may need to shop around for a new ISP if they really have no interest fixing it for you.

:( **** getting AT&T. I'll screw around with it.