Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Interesting network story

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi Everyone,

Had an interesting network story that I thought I would share - just for fun since the issue has been resolved.

At our shipping office we have a 3 floor building design,

Bottom: Warehouse (Contains 1 Wireless Access point for scanning hardware)

Middle: Offices (Contains 2 Wireless Access points - General Office and Meeting Room)

Top: Shipping Customer Services Team (Contains 1 Wireless Access point)

The segregation is both imposed on us by security regulatory bodies and our own internal practices. Another piece of information that is important, during the original concept of the office networks

1 person likes this

Posted

history-channel-alien-guy-meme-generator-aliens-565563.jpg
4 people like this

Posted

um...ok

Posted

Nice one! :huh:

Posted

Pandora's box!!

Posted

i have to go with Remixedcat on this one...

1 person likes this

Posted

How is this an interesting story?

What does "I could connect but the internet was never found" mean?

Like telling a story between mechanics

yeah so this car didn't work, so we changed the engine - and it started working ;)

When you say wireless clients "can connect to the wireless networks" I assume you mean they were associated to the accesspoint in their area. So did they get an IP from your dhcp server, or are they static assigned? Could they not ping the gateway? Could they not do DNS? You say they could not "find" the internet - but what about local devices, could they connect to them, could they resolve them by name? Was your gateway not seeing any traffic from any wireless clients -- connected to different AP. You mention segregation, so these different floors AP are on different network segments/vlans? So the router they connect to for the 3 segments?? Not seeing the packets from any wireless device on any segment?

How about some actual something to get us interested in the characters in the story, or the details of the problem at hand, or how it was actually troubleshooted, etc.

What we have here is is a lack of basic troubleshooting info. Nothing to find the root cause of the issue with. So we replaced the hardware without a clue to what was wrong and then it worked. ;) Lets see wireless doesn't work - so lets change out all the AP.. That's like taking your computer to tech, and him saying yeah don't know why that happens - here buy this new computer.

No offense or anything - but don't see how this is interesting at all other than making yourself look unqualified on how to troubleshoot basic networking issues.