Photo

Raspberry Pi Questions?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 LilSnoop40

LilSnoop40

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 16 January 2013 - 13:39

hi, i was looking at getting a raspberry pi setup for xbmc use. can someone help with the parts i need to get this up and running please., this is what i have so far to order:

Raspberry Pi Board:
http://www.amazon.co...B/dp/B009SQQF9C

Wifi Dongle:
http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B005CLMJLU/

Case:
http://www.storenvy....i-enclosure-kit

as far as power supply and other things what else do i need with links please, i am in the US.

Thanks!

#2 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 16 January 2013 - 13:40

XBMC image, SD card and power supply.

Edit: I would post links, but I'm from the UK.

#3 OP LilSnoop40

LilSnoop40

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 16 January 2013 - 13:50

Crisp, you have a link for a power supply i thought i read something like a 2A power supply. what size and kind of SD card do i need and do i need any other cables?

thanks

#4 richardsim7

richardsim7

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 January 2013 - 13:58

5V 700mA PSU required :)

#5 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 16 January 2013 - 14:02

http://www.amazon.co...&qid=1358344896

#6 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 16 January 2013 - 14:10

I use a Nokia Lumia Charger 5v, 1200mA for mine

For XBMC, I use XBian (http://xbian.org/)

If you have a WP7 you can use a free app as an XBMC Remote over wifi that woks great, I imagine Android will have something similar, Windows 8 has one too

HDMI cable if you are using HDMI, Composite cable if you are using normal SD TV

You`ll probably want extra USB ports, so grab a self powered USB Hub (Don't rely on the Pi to power the extra USB ports, use a powered hub)

#7 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 16 January 2013 - 14:14

Any 5V Micro USB power supply will work. If you have a modern smartphone that isn't an iPhone chances are you'll already have one.

As for the SD card, you can buy a compatible one with XMBC already installed for you: http://thepihut.com/...stalled-sd-card

#8 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 16 January 2013 - 14:16

For my RPI. I just use an old blackberry charger I had. Standard mini-usb plugin. No special power supply, or power source needed. 5v is what is required to run it.

I don't use XBMC on mine, I just have base Arch installed, and play videos with OMXPlayer and wrote a custom front-end gui that I can use over the web. I connect mine to my TV via HDMI but can use composite.

I have a wireless USB stick but I couldn't get it to connect with security, hoping newer updates will help. I just SSH in and do it all via command line.

#9 OP LilSnoop40

LilSnoop40

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 16 January 2013 - 14:31

firey, so if i have a wifi dongle i cant use the security that i am running my router which i think is WPA2 i think. i don't wanna buy a pre load SD card just want to know what is a good one and size i should go with.

Thanks

#10 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 16 January 2013 - 14:37

firey, so if i have a wifi dongle i cant use the security that i am running my router which i think is WPA2 i think. i don't wanna buy a pre load SD card just want to know what is a good one and size i should go with.

Thanks

I use a 2GB class 4 for XBMC

If you want to play around with different OS's then grab an 8GB one too

#11 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 16 January 2013 - 14:41

I've just ordered a Pi.

Is it possible to use the USB plug part of Apple chargers? and then stick a Micro USB cable in it?

I'm looking for some cool things to do with mine, not interested in media centres as i already have one.

#12 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 16 January 2013 - 14:49

I've just ordered a Pi.

Is it possible to use the USB plug part of Apple chargers? and then stick a Micro USB cable in it?

I'm looking for some cool things to do with mine, not interested in media centres as i already have one.

I don't have anything apple so can't test, but here is the official Pi forum you can ask in

http://www.raspberry...hpBB3/index.php

#13 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Axiom

Posted 16 January 2013 - 14:51

I used a laptop USB port on my RPI and blew out the power light or I guess as it was later decided one of the resisters going to it. 2 days old. While you can use a USB port on a computer to power it, according to what I have been told by the Raspberri Pi group is that it is very highly recommended to use a Cell phone charger with at least a 1A output because anyhting lower will cause issues with the unit.

I am waiting for a new Raspberry Pi now since I sent the other one back, but hope to be in business soon with it again. When it comes to XMBC, you will find it is a tad slow on this unit (I had the same one), so don't expect it to be super fast. But it does work good for everything else with the XMBC software. :) Also, video playback on some channels like HGTV or Food Network don't work as they haven't been able to license the video decoders for those networks.

#14 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 16 January 2013 - 14:55

I used a laptop USB port on my RPI and blew out the power light or I guess as it was later decided one of the resisters going to it. 2 days old. While you can use a USB port on a computer to power it, according to what I have been told by the Raspberri Pi group is that it is very highly recommended to use a Cell phone charger with at least a 1A output because anyhting lower will cause issues with the unit.

I am waiting for a new Raspberry Pi now since I sent the other one back, but hope to be in business soon with it again. When it comes to XMBC, you will find it is a tad slow on this unit (I had the same one), so don't expect it to be super fast. But it does work good for everything else with the XMBC software. :) Also, video playback on some channels like HGTV or Food Network don't work as they haven't been able to license the video decoders for those networks.

They actually advise NOT to use USB ports to power the Pi

#15 OP LilSnoop40

LilSnoop40

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 16 January 2013 - 15:33

Medfordite - when you say XBMC is a slow what part of it its slow. i mainly wanna run Navi-x and 1channel through it. does that aspect of it run smooth?

thanks