Batch Files + DOS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tim_s

tim_s

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:34

Hi Everyone,

It has been quite some time since I have written a batch file, In-fact, since my departments switch over to Linux for administration terminals – I have personally have been using BASH within OSX or Red Hat.

I have created many simple / useful tools to get me through the day-to-day grind but someone asked me to solve an issue on their windows machines by automating a few tasks.

It was basic and probably many other applications could have replaced the script with a stronger and more visual feature set but it works. The user loves it ...

My question is,

Does anyone find DOS or creating batch files productive in their day-to-day work? What tasks did the batch files accomplish?

#2 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:36

i used to use them for copying files and folders to other drives as a back up

#3 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:39

Does anyone find DOS or creating batch files productive in their day-to-day work? What tasks did the batch files accomplish?

Use scripts all the time.. DOS not so much, maybe not since like the late 80's, unless you're meaning a console. But yea, some are the more traditional batch files, a couple VBS, but mostly they're PowerShell scripts now, just blows batch files out of the water and (for me, just an opinion) is just a bit better than Bash at it.

#4 guitmz

guitmz

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:43

hmmm i dont find dos that productive anymore... i use shell scripts for linux and for windows automation i use autoit mostly... batch files are good for ultra simple tasks only (if this is the case, go ahead, its easy and works)

#5 James Rose

James Rose

Software Developer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:47

I gave up on batch files back in the mid 90s as VB was much more powerful. While I agree that there can be some uses for batch files, I find that even for quick things using a full language gives me the control that I like.

#6 OP tim_s

tim_s

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s

Posted 18 January 2013 - 21:16

I gave up on batch files back in the mid 90s as VB was much more powerful. While I agree that there can be some uses for batch files, I find that even for quick things using a full language gives me the control that I like.

Understandable - the system is a little outdated.

#7 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 18 January 2013 - 21:24

Well it's not really DOS anymore, it's more of a command prompt/shell. But yes, I still use xcopy c:\ d:\ /c/h/e/f/r/s/v/k/y often...