Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Batch Files + DOS

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi Everyone,

It has been quite some time since I have written a batch file, In-fact, since my departments switch over to Linux for administration terminals

Posted

i used to use them for copying files and folders to other drives as a back up

Posted

[quote name='tim_s' timestamp='1358530457' post='595462486']Does anyone find DOS or creating batch files productive in their day-to-day work? What tasks did the batch files accomplish?[/quote]
Use scripts all the time.. DOS not so much, maybe not since like the late 80's, unless you're meaning a console. But yea, some are the more traditional batch files, a couple VBS, but mostly they're PowerShell scripts now, just blows batch files out of the water and (for me, just an opinion) is just a bit better than Bash at it.

Posted

hmmm i dont find dos that productive anymore... i use shell scripts for linux and for windows automation i use autoit mostly... batch files are good for ultra simple tasks only (if this is the case, go ahead, its easy and works)

Posted

I gave up on batch files back in the mid 90s as VB was much more powerful. While I agree that there can be some uses for batch files, I find that even for quick things using a full language gives me the control that I like.

Posted

[quote name='James Rose' timestamp='1358531273' post='595462538']
I gave up on batch files back in the mid 90s as VB was much more powerful. While I agree that there can be some uses for batch files, I find that even for quick things using a full language gives me the control that I like.
[/quote]

Understandable - the system is a little outdated.

Posted

Well it's not really DOS anymore, it's more of a command prompt/shell. But yes, I still use xcopy c:\ d:\ /c/h/e/f/r/s/v/k/y often...