• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 peacemf

peacemf

T Fizz - now with more bubbles!

• 2,885 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:19

So my car needs new tyres.
The price searching online and old skool gives a price range between £200 and £650!!!!!

wondering what other people thinks about rubbers......i only like spending money or anti-baby rubber :s

#2 barbary

barbary

Neowinian

• 77 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:12

When you come round a corner and need to brake for or dodge a kid in the road. Its too late to wish you spent a few extra dollars on those tyres.

Be honest with yourself about how you drive and buy accoringly.

#3 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• 7,791 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 16:18

Well it depends. Compare them. I don't know what kind of car or what you are doing. For all I know you are buying tires that are 10 foot tall vs tires that are 32 inches tall (exaggerating here but you get the idea).

It really depends on what you are doing that would justify the cost difference. And even still, the one that costs the most may perform similarity to one that costs half the price. I have no clue what you are comparing to give any sort of opinion, there are thousands of different tires out there some are cheap and some work really well for the price point that they are at others the price is justified as nothing else can you can buy that comes close.

I hope that is vaguely accurate enough for you.

#4 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 12,039 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 16:24

Conti sport or premium contact, amazing grip wet or dry,

#5 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 15,858 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 19:22

Budget Brands not buy based on my experience, eg. their low tiers

Kumho
Pirelli
Firestone
Bridgestone
Federal
Goodyear

If you step up to "mid performing" they hold up.

Brands i'd recommend on any tier:
Continental
Michellin
Nexxen
Yokohama
Toyo
Dunlop
Falken

Mileage may vary ( pun :p ) But here: http://www.tirerack....=surveyComments

#6 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 19:25

Budget Brands not buy based on my experience, eg. their low tiers

Kumho
Pirelli
Firestone
Bridgestone
Federal
Goodyear

If you step up to "mid performing" they hold up.

Brands i'd recommend on any tier:
Continental
Michellin
Nexxen
Yokohama
Toyo
Dunlop
Falken

Mileage may vary ( pun :p ) But here: http://www.tirerack....=surveyComments

Igonore this guy, literally every brand on this list is fine. I'd be more worried about getting the right kind of tires for the conditions you drive in. You can get away with cheap, good tires if you live in a tropical paradise. Good all seasons will always be more expensive.

#7 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 15,858 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 19:29

Did you even read the "MY EXPERIENCE" ?
This is based on my usage... Kumho, pirelli, firestone& bridgestone, federal and goodyear.. again BASED ON MY USAGE...

#8 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,995 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 19:38

Given that you're in the UK and in London you'll not be experiencing really tricky weather (usually). I'd imagine in London your average speed is fairly low too...not many rural 60mph roads in the city ;)

I'd go with the cheaper brands. It's more important to make sure they're properly inflated and not bald/damaged.

#9 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:06

Did you even read the "MY EXPERIENCE" ?
This is based on my usage... Kumho, pirelli, firestone& bridgestone, federal and goodyear.. again BASED ON MY USAGE...

If you're going to list tire quality by brand, then you have no experience with tires. By model, sure, but the Kumho Ecsta SPT is a good cheap Summer tire, the Pirelli P-Zero Nero is a good enough Summer tire, the Firestone Winterforce is a dirt cheap monster of a non-studded snow tire, those are just a handful that I actually have experience with.

The things to actually worry about when choosing a tire are all about your climate, specifically a) how much does it rain, b) how cold does it get, and c) does it ever snow. If a) is some, and b) is not very, you can get some great Summer tires for cheap that will be excellent in the rain. If b) is a little cold and c) is never, you can get away with ultra high performance all seasons. If b) is pretty cold and c) is sometimes, I'd say you're stuck paying out the most cash, as you'd either want two sets of tires, or the best snow-rated all seasons you can get (Nokians).

#10 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 15,858 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:15

Hmm ok, my comment could've come off as daft, not based on brand, but my usage Fair enough, mostly I drive,all weather so:

Kumho Kh17 - Very bad grip
Pirelli P7 - Bad grip, wear quickly
Firestone FH700 - Poor grip, nasty aqua planning
Bridgestone turanza serenity - lasted me less than a year with "normal" driving
Federal really cheap mexican brand can't even remember model.
Good year GPS3 - Expensive and very weird handling, something like to soft side wall if IIRC.

If you're going to list tire quality by brand, then you have no experience with tires.

I've used other models from the same brands, but i've Really, given up on those brands, I just stick with continental, toyo, michellin or yokohama, again, for all weather. Too lazy to list models :p

#11 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,731 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:21

Pirelli P7 - Bad grip, wear quickly

I think the Pirellis are supposed to wear quickly. Just ask any F1 driver!

#12 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,223 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:24

Igonore this guy, literally every brand on this list is fine. I'd be more worried about getting the right kind of tires for the conditions you drive in. You can get away with cheap, good tires if you live in a tropical paradise. Good all seasons will always be more expensive.

There's not such a thing as good all seasons when you stay in canada.

#13 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,630 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:25

So my car needs new tyres.
The price searching online and old skool gives a price range between £200 and £650!!!!!

wondering what other people thinks about rubbers......i only like spending money or anti-baby rubber :s

Comes with the cost of owning a car. I recently had to have 2 rims replaced in my car (450 each) and 4 new tires (200 each). Those a lot of tires/rims are more expensive....I wasnt expecting that cost. Certain cars/type of tire/rims are more expensive to replace.

Also had to get a new transmission (4k) but luckily it only cost me 100 since I had the extended warranty.

#14 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 15,858 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:30

I think the Pirellis are supposed to wear quickly. Just ask any F1 driver!

:laugh: :p

#15 ThreadAbort

ThreadAbort

Neowinian

• 86 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8 - Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 21 January 2013 - 20:44

Well, I've been living under a rock. Didn't know you UK guys preferred the word "tyre" over "tire". Interesting.

http://en.wikipedia....gy_and_spelling