Photo

How to get rid of windows 8 and install windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Largey

Largey

Neowinian

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:11

Just bought myself a new laptop and i absolutely HATE windows 8. I cant stand the elementary format of it. Can someone please walk me through how to go from windows 8 back to windows 7 PLEASE?!

#2 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:15

If the laptop came with Windows 8 then you aren't going "back" because you never upgraded. If you want to install Windows 7 you're going to have to buy yourself a Windows 7 install disc if you don't already have one. You can probably still find an OEM copy on Newegg for probably somewhere in the vicinity of $100 for Pro. Then you can boot off the disc, wipe your hard drive and install Windows 7. There are other ways of getting Windows 7, of course, but that can't be discussed.

#3 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:19

first of all do you have a windows 7 disk and key?

all you should have to do is go into the metro control panel and look for the option to disable secure boot (not even sure if you have to do this) then all you should have to do is pop in your Windows 7 disk and reboot into the installer

if I may ask, what is it that you don't like about Windows 8? if it's only the new start screen may I recommend Start8 rather than downgrading to 7?

If the laptop came with Windows 8 then you aren't going "back" because you never upgraded. If you want to install Windows 7 you're going to have to buy yourself a Windows 7 install disc if you don't already have one. You can probably still find an OEM copy on Newegg for probably somewhere in the vicinity of $100 for Pro. Then you can boot off the disc, wipe your hard drive and install Windows 7. There are other ways of getting Windows 7, of course, but that can't be discussed.

why would he need to do that and spend so much more. new windows 8 computers have downgrade rights for which they don't need to pay more http://lifehacker.co...dows-7-for-free

#4 OP Largey

Largey

Neowinian

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:27

first of all do you have a windows 7 disk and key?

all you should have to do is go into the metro control panel and look for the option to disable secure boot (not even sure if you have to do this) then all you should have to do is pop in your Windows 7 disk and reboot into the installer

if I may ask, what is it that you don't like about Windows 8? if it's only the new start screen may I recommend Start8 rather than downgrading to 7?

why would he need to do that and spend so much more. new windows 8 computers have downgrade rights for which they don't need to pay more http://lifehacker.co...dows-7-for-free

Everything is to public for me and its to simplistic and just doesnt go well with me

#5 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:31

Everything is to public for me and its to simplistic and just doesnt go well with me

what do you mean too public? and I'm guessing when you say simplistic you mean the full screen start screen apps?

check out start8 that i posted, besides the lack of glass effect in the theme, with start8 installed it's just like running windows 7 except you still get the good improvements that were made to the desktop

#6 Sadelwo

Sadelwo

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 820

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:36

OP, why don't you just use Start8, Classic Shell or one of the million other Start Menu programs? If the interface is your concern get one of those and be done with it. All my software and games run super fine on 8, file copy is awesome, takmanager is pretty powerful and there are other many gems in the OS to be found, not counting the incredible stability of the platform. I wouldn't downgrade just on the basis of looks which can be changed when the OS itself has so much going for it.

#7 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:38

I agree, he should give Windows 8 a try w/Start8. Didn't know he could get Win 7 for free, and if he can do so then more power to him.

I don't know wtf he means by too public, or simplistic (a lot of people think Win 8 in its default state is more difficult than before to navigate lol).

#8 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:40

I agree, use one of the many available (and free) options to get a start menu back if you really hate the start screen that much.
But just to let you know, you don't need to use the full screen apps. Just unpin them all from the start screen and just use the start screen the same you would use the start menu, to search and launch programs. Once your on the desktop interface, it won't take you back to the modern UI unless you want to go there. I don't even know the last time I launched a modern app on my desktop computer. I just stick to the desktop UI which is the same as 7.

#9 DavidM

DavidM

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:48

Just bought myself a new laptop and i absolutely HATE windows 8. I cant stand the elementary format of it. Can someone please walk me through how to go from windows 8 back to windows 7 PLEASE?!

I understand, I finally got tired of Windows 8 on my laptop today, I went back to Windows 7 on my desktop about a month ago.

I will have to agree with the others, please give Windows 8 a good couple of weeks, unless your laptop is "mission critical"...

I had to go back to Windows 7 due to the lack of the ability to change the font. Segoe UI either looked too small or too fuzzy and was giving me headaches. I need a mono spaced font or it just looks like it runs together, but barring that I liked Windows 8 with Classic Shell/Menu.

Good Luck.

#10 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:50

I understand, I finally got tired of Windows 8 on my laptop today, I went back to Windows 7 on my desktop about a month ago.

I will have to agree with the others, please give Windows 8 a good couple of weeks, unless your laptop is "mission critical"...

I had to go back to Windows 7 due to the lack of the ability to change the font. Segoe UI either looked too small or too fuzzy and was giving me headaches. I need a mono spaced font or it just looks like it runs together, but barring that I liked Windows 8 with Classic Shell/Menu.

Good Luck.

this is a little off topic but you can still change font in windows 8, it's just nowhere near as easy as 7 as you can only do it through the registry in 8 for whatever reason

#11 OP Largey

Largey

Neowinian

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:08

This thing is beautiful. But the download link isnt working now .-.

#12 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:22

Yeah, I recommend looking at Start8 or StartIsBack. That way you can completely avoid the start screen stuff if you don't want that stuff.

#13 OP Largey

Largey

Neowinian

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:21

I bought start8 and i absolutely love it!

#14 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:37

I bought start8 and i absolutely love it!

glad you like it. much easier solution to having to reinstall a new OS :)

#15 DavidM

DavidM

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:53

this is a little off topic but you can still change font in windows 8, it's just nowhere near as easy as 7 as you can only do it through the registry in 8 for whatever reason

Yes, but #1, I shouldn't have to "hack" a new font into place and #2, using a mono space font screws up the sizing of menus and text boxes.