watts power supply graphics

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 January 2013 - 00:51

It's the 660s http://www.dell.com/...nspiron-660s/pd and it says 220W :/ So there are no cards that work with the existing PSU? I don't want to upgrade anything, just want a video card even if it's basic.

Kee-ripes; I've not only never BUILT a PC with a PSU that weak, I've never seen an OEM PC with a PSU that weak since the days of the Pentium (pre numerics).

And by never, I mean exactly that - even back in my Pentium days, I used a 300W PSU; yes, they existed then, and weren't pricey in the least.

OEM PCs that passed through me at some point (and that includes quite a few Dell and HP OEM models) typically had 250W PSUs, while some (mostly Pavilion Media Center or the odd Optiplex) had the 300W PSUs.

Is this a slimline (Inspiron) case design? Then you may need a PSU designed for such cases, such as PC Power and Cooling's Silencer Slimline (no longer made). If the case can swallow a standard PSU, I'd go with something similar (Silencer Mk. III 500W or equivalent from Corsair, Antec, or other quality manufacturer).

#17 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:01

It's a mini-ATX style case - (H) 10.43 in x (W) 3.94 in x (D) 14.80 in

#18 OP JustinTime

JustinTime

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC One S

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:14

If it's really only 220W - as the Dell website says - then there's not much you can do. It's possible that adding a basic card would work but it's certainly not a risk I'd take. You're going to need to buy a new PSU if you want to add a graphics card, assuming your case has a standard sized PSU fitting - if not then you might be looking at a new case as well.

Unfortunately cheap computers are cheap for a reason.

What's the risk? Catching fire or something serious? I'm not sure what "cheap," means but it is the best small PC they offer at $649.99.

Kee-ripes; I've not only never BUILT a PC with a PSU that weak, I've never seen an OEM PC with a PSU that weak since the days of the Pentium (pre numerics).

And by never, I mean exactly that - even back in my Pentium days, I used a 300W PSU; yes, they existed then, and weren't pricey in the least.

OEM PCs that passed through me at some point (and that includes quite a few Dell and HP OEM models) typically had 250W PSUs, while some (mostly Pavilion Media Center or the odd Optiplex) had the 300W PSUs.

Is this a slimline (Inspiron) case design? Then you may need a PSU designed for such cases, such as PC Power and Cooling's Silencer Slimline (no longer made). If the case can swallow a standard PSU, I'd go with something similar (Silencer Mk. III 500W or equivalent from Corsair, Antec, or other quality manufacturer).

Oh that's terrible lol I'm still within the full money back 60 day window but really just wanted a very slim and small case. My old PC has a big case and I really don't like them big. I guess that's the sacrifice, size but less power. So any low profile cards (HDMI) that work with 220W? Thanks.

I saw someone selling the exact model and case but with the GT 620 http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f205df302 Any idea where I can buy that card? I asked the seller but no reply.

#19 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:24

What's the risk? Catching fire or something serious?

If you overload the PSU it can potentially destroy your PSU, motherboard, CPU or connected components, or any combination of those. I've had a failed PSU actually catch fire with smoke pouring out the back, though that's extremely unlikely. It's not worth doing.

#20 OP JustinTime

JustinTime

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC One S

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:28

I won't risk anything, thanks for the insight. I don't know why Dell doesn't just sell OEM tested and approved GT 620.

#21 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:37

FWIW, at $649 I'd much rather have a Mac Mini.

I'm guessing Dell doesn't worry about stocking cards for these PCs because anyone gaming on them will probably be happy enough with the onboard video.

#22 VolvoxS

VolvoxS

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 14 June 2013 - 18:53

I have my Inspiron 660s i5 220W PSU with this card added :
SAPPHIRE 100357LP Radeon HD 7750 1GB

http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16814202002

No problem so far after 6 months. According to Dell advisers the 220W PSU was able to run that low profile card. And this is confirmed by many other users. The CPU itself use only 65W. 220W total is thus enough for the Sapphire low profile card (or other similar video low profile card). I see no heating so far above normal temp.