Volvo Trucks - Emergency braking at its best

I saw this a while ago, and was amazed. But I wonder what kind of stress that puts on the driver and cargo when it is abruptly stopped at such high speeds.

Also, it might save the car and truck, but my pants would still be wrecked :p

That is amazing, was just telling my dad about this in modern cars, didn't realise lorries had it too.

Lorry drivers are safer than anyone else(IMO), they dont scare me so much :laugh:

Still amazing technology, to stop a load like that so quickly and safely.

Make this technology a requirement for all trucks legally binding asap.

It's not the delivery company that profits from ponying up the extra quids, it's everyone else.

That was darn impressive.

Glassed Silver:mac

That is amazing! just showed my other half who doesnt normally care to see any of that kind of thing....but even she was speechless!

• Like 2

Automatic braking or is that just how good the brakes are?

Did you watch the video?

It's with collision warning and in case of non-action it surely will auto-brake I bet. (which the "emergency brake" part kind of implies)

Automatic braking or is that just how good the brakes are?

When it shows the view from inside the truck, you hear a beep and see a reflection of a red light in the windshield. By this I would assume at least part of it is automation.

Did you watch the video?

It's with collision warning and in case of non-action it surely will auto-brake I bet. (which the "emergency brake" part kind of implies)

Yea but if you look on other videos (the ones that show up after the video, use the Mercedes one for example) its automatic partial braking, with required driver intervention for full braking. This video never really specified.

Well, was there any cargo on that truck???? Also if you have wood logs in the back or other items similar but that are a bit loose or something , i am pretty sure they would follow gravity that means truck will stop but the load will keep going.

It might be safe now with a unloaded truck or with one that as a small charge but bigger the charge harder it becomes to stop.The driver could be killed and the car driver that was spared by the truck itself would become "soup" when the load finally reach him.

I could be wrong!!!!

Yea but if you look on other videos (the ones that show up after the video, use the Mercedes one for example) its automatic partial braking, with required driver intervention for full braking. This video never really specified.

We don't want to take over from drivers because we believe they are in the best position to respond, as they might be able to safely drive around the vehicle," says Almqvist.

However, if the truck fails to detect any reaction from the driver, such as steering or braking, the system upgrades to a flashing red light and a beeping sound. If there is still no reaction, the system applies the brakes gently. When all this fails, the system activates the emergency braking system and does everything possible to bring the truck to a complete stop.

Source

Thank you.

Well, was there any cargo on that truck???? Also if you have wood logs in the back or other items similar but that are a bit loose or something , i am pretty sure they would follow gravity that means truck will stop but the load will keep going.

It might be safe now with a unloaded truck or with one that as a small charge but bigger the charge harder it becomes to stop.The driver could be killed and the car driver that was spared by the truck itself would become "soup" when the load finally reach him.

I could be wrong!!!!

I believe it had a 40 ton load, what kind of load? No idea, most likely something tightened down really well.

Make this technology a requirement for all trucks legally binding asap.

It's not the delivery company that profits from ponying up the extra quids, it's everyone else.

That was darn impressive.

I won't be impressed until I see retro rockets fire from the front of those sons a bitches!

• Like 1

I could be wrong!!!!

Fully loaded 40 tons (80,000 lbs) and it's wet!! I'm impressed!! :woot:

Load of logs would most likely take the cab off. I'm thinking this would be awesome in over the highway hauls with cargo that was loaded appropriately. Once a load shifts it's kinda hard to stop.