xbox music wp8 windows phone 8

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:29

I have been patiently waiting to upgrade to WP8 (still evaluating if I want to stay on at&t) but the more I read about WP8, the more I feel like I should stay with 7.5 for now. I came across this thread while trying to figure out how/why Xbox Music screwed my music library on my Windows 8 PC.
Has anyone here faced problems listed here?

http://answers.micro...69-4626090289a3

I know that those with problems are the loudest and we don't get to hear +ve experiences but I personally am facing similar problems on Xbox Music on Windows 8 and hence I think it might be same on WP8.

On a related note, we should raise hell for this screw up by Microsoft's Xbox team. Simply unbelievable! I think a FPN by John C is in order. :p

#2 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:54

I've been following that thread for quite a while as I have numerous issues with the Windows 8 Xbox Music app.

It definitely needs more media coverage.

#3 ajua

ajua

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:43

I began using my 8X as a music player before using an iPod Nano 3rd Gen. I had an LG Optimus 7 since WP7 launched.

Xbox Music on WP8 for locally stored files works great. I don't any performance issues or lags or whatever. It needs to improve in the playlist management, podcasts and other things. It lacks features, sure, but it works as expected as of now.

I don't have a subscription pass to Xbox Music so I can't comment on how good or bad it works. Music alone shouldn't be something that made you upgrade or stay with your current phone.

If you want to upgrade because of the new batch of WP8 phones like the 8X (I have this one and it's awesome) or the Lumia 920 because of their design, body, camera or other things, do a little research about how good Xbox Music with a subscription works if you have any.

#4 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:11

I haven't really noticed any problems on my Lumia 920 and feel that it works just as well as the Music app in WP7. I don't use Microsoft's subscription service and I've never used playlists so I've avoided any problems with those features but the default player with local music works fine.

I haven't had any trouble getting music onto the phone as syncing with WMP works fine. Zune was easier to use for syncing (and I suppose it's a shame to lose that) but with 32GB on-board I don't have to do much syncing anyway.

#5 OP BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 January 2013 - 16:35

I don't use Subscription service but just sync my own library (music mostly from Amazon). The way the Xbox Music app on Windows 8 has ****ed up my music is beyond unbelievable (random tags edited and files moved around as result, wrong album art etc.), and hence I was concerned about same thing happening on the phone.
I am mostly buying two 920s (replacing my Focus and Wife's 710) but as Music and Podcasts are two of the most used functions on my phone - I am worried to say the least. :)

#6 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 30 January 2013 - 19:02

I'm in the same boat. As someone who originally purchased WP7 because it was a 'Zune with a phone', WP8 in its current state is a downgrade for me so I'm sticking with WP7 till my device dies or I see MS pull their heads out of their collective asses. I do use ZunePass and that scism (very reminiscent of the MSN Music fiasco) really annoys me. The lack of FM radio really ****es me off too.

Couple that with the same early adopter issues we've already gone through with WP7 and I personally just can't get behind WP8. I've also upvoted that suggestion but I'm not optimistic. The list itself is pretty damning and MS's token response was insulting.

QFT:

"You've made a pretty great OS and put it on great hardware, but you removed an essential component that actually made me switch to WP in the first place. Syncing and the music app on WP7 so so intuitive I couldn't help but make fun on my friends who tried to manage music on the other platforms. Now I'm eating my words and cannot recommend WP to anyone who enjoys music (ie... most every soul in the world.)"

#7 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 30 January 2013 - 19:17

The biggest, and what makes this worthless IMO, synced playlists between Desktop and Surface RT, will not find all of the local files on the non-playlist originating device. This is with mirrored music libraries. This is critical with the absence of a Zune or iTunes like syncing piece of middleware combined with the abhorrent Modern UI for the music app and Modern UI system search which together make searching for music and creating playlists on Windows 8 and endeavor not worth the effort and frustration.

I haven't really noticed any problems on my Lumia 920 and feel that it works just as well as the Music app in WP7. I don't use Microsoft's subscription service and I've never used playlists so I've avoided any problems with those features but the default player with local music works fine.

I haven't had any trouble getting music onto the phone as syncing with WMP works fine. Zune was easier to use for syncing (and I suppose it's a shame to lose that) but with 32GB on-board I don't have to do much syncing anyway.

Don't make excuses for MS. And don't settle for less. It's abysmal that we have to go back to classic WMP Classic to sync and Windows Phone 8 on Windows 8. WMP Classic isn't even available on Windows RT.

This situation is simply and epic fail and Microsoft needs to address it. Hoping everyone subscribes to Xbox Music and rebuilds new music collections is ridiculous, selfish, greedy, and unacceptable.

#8 OP BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 January 2013 - 19:38

The biggest, and what makes this worthless IMO, synced playlists between Desktop and Surface RT, will not find all of the local files on the non-playlist originating device. This is with mirrored music libraries. This is critical with the absence of a Zune or iTunes like syncing piece of middleware combined with the abhorrent Modern UI for the music app and Modern UI system search which together make searching for music and creating playlists on Windows 8 and endeavor not worth the effort and frustration.

Don't make excuses for MS. And don't settle for less. It's abysmal that we have to go back to classic WMP Classic to sync and Windows Phone 8 on Windows 8. WMP Classic isn't even available on Windows RT.

This situation is simply and epic fail and Microsoft needs to address it. Hoping everyone subscribes to Xbox Music and rebuilds new music collections is ridiculous, selfish, greedy, and unacceptable.

IIRC the way WMP manages sync is also primitive (it drops a XML file on the device root). :/ Can somebody confirm this is how it's being done with WP8+WMP?

#9 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 30 January 2013 - 19:48

I use my music pass daily on my ATIV S. I don't have sync issues since my ATIV opens like a HD when plugged in. I just drag album folders into the Music folder. or movies into the Video folder. The only issue I have with WP8 music is sometimes albums I didn't download show up in my list.

Posted Image

#10 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760

Posted 30 January 2013 - 22:11

IIRC the way WMP manages sync is also primitive (it drops a XML file on the device root). :/ Can somebody confirm this is how it's being done with WP8+WMP?

I don't mind, it works. If the Xbox Music App needed to do that I would be more than happy, I just want it to work.

#11 jasonon

jasonon

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 928

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:41

these problems are disappointing to hear about. MS needs to get their act together.

WP 7.5 was a tremendous update, I can't see how come the development team fell behind so much on WP8. Sure it is a little bit better, but it isn't as groundbreaking as WP 7.5 in terms of features and performance enhancement. Not to mention, 7.5 arrived early, and 8 was late, and all together a poor launch.

#12 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:06

There are no problems with it, but IMO, it's just a dumb app. It's not set out nicely, library is useless etc.

I like Nokia Music, but it's not rally much better TBH.

#13 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:30

MS has locked that thread ... http://answers.micro...AllReplies#tabs

#14 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:01

You can sync your music with WP8 O.o

Either by way of the W8 Metro app or the Desktop Sync Client.

In both cases, you can sync whatever you like :o

Personally I prefer manually managing my library, but they didn't remove Sync O.o

Double lastly, Windows Media Player can still sync to the device as though it were any MP3 player..

#15 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:11

Double lastly, Windows Media Player can still sync to the device as though it were any MP3 player..

Windows Media Player classic is the only way to truly sync media a Windows Phone 8 with Windows 8. Of course it depends on one's definition of sync. Copying files from the desktop to the phone, is transfer, not sync. Syncing playlists, and having the songs in that playlist automatically copy to the phone and update as you change the playlist at the source is syncing. The windows phone apps is nothing more than a Modern UI file explorer. It does not "sync" per se.

Windows Media Player classic, from Windows 7 ::cough:: syncs music, video, and Media Center recordings with automatic conversion. The Windows Phone Modern App does nothing more than what File Explorer does, only slower due to the UI. I assume by Desktop Sync Client you mean Windows Media Player classic, or are you talking Windows 7?

I understand there is a shortage of developers everywhere. MS is recruiting developers for WP8 work. But I don't like their modus operandi of release and sell now, fix later.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!