Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Best File Manager

31 posts in this topic

Posted

Yup, another question.

So as you can guess my question is what's the best file manager for Ubuntu?

For awhile now I have been using Marlin, but at times it seems unstable.

Tabbed browsing, customization of layout and options, and the most updated.

Suggestions?

Posted

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Nautilus. It has tabbed browsing (File->New Tab or CTRL+T), allows some layout customization (particularly if you're willing to edit more advanced settings in dconf), and has a large selection of plugins available. In Ubuntu, you can view the available Nautilus plugins with Aptitude (aptitude search '^nautilus-') or by searching for "nautilus" in Synaptic Package Manager.

If I had to choose another file manager, though, it would definitely be PCManFM.

Posted

Isn't Nautilus the default in Ubuntu?

Posted

For me it's Dolphin. Extremely customizable, tabbed/split view browsing, plugins, all that good stuff. No dumbing it down and yet fairly obvious how to work with it. Purty too. Not being GTK based may be a turnoff though, I'm a bit biased towards KDE.

Edit: Forgot Nemo, a fork of Nautilus. The Mint guys weren't happy with where Nautilus was going so they forked it. Brought back some of the removed features, etc.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks, installing both Dolphin and PCManFM, since I am about to wipe the system, good time to try them out.

Posted

Unless anyone has anymore to suggest I think we have a clear winner.

Dolphin is amazing! The smoothness, customization of everything...look and feel. Wow!

Thanks guys.

1 person likes this

Posted

Although its not my first choice, Dolphin is an excellent file manager! Ultimately, one's choice of file manager comes down to personal preference anyway.

If you want to set Dolphin as your system-wide default file manager, you can edit /usr/share/applications/defaults.list and replace inode/directory=nautilus.desktop with inode/directory=dolphin.desktop, then reboot, of course. (sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/defaults.list is likely the command you want to run to edit that file.)

Posted

Thanks for that.

Posted

Unless anyone has anymore to suggest I think we have a clear winner.

Dolphin is amazing! The smoothness, customization of everything...look and feel. Wow!

Thanks guys.

Yeah dolphin is pretty great. I tend to not be the hugest fan of KDE, but dolphin is a file manager done right.

Posted

Yea I'm not really a fan of KDE but Dolphin inside Ubuntu Unity looks pretty good.

Posted

Anyone know if it's possible to change the theme for Dolphin inside Ubuntu Unity?

Posted

Anyone know if it's possible to change the theme for Dolphin inside Ubuntu Unity?

That's the drawback of using KDE stuff in GTK based desktops, two different things running. It is possible, haven't done this myself in quite a while (I went all KDE myself long ago), and not sure how accurate this still is, but... (comments say it works with Unity as well.)

http://www.webupd8.o...-native-in.html

1 person likes this

Posted

Yea I was ok with how it looked until I changed my theme lol

I moved to PCManFM instead, almost perfect, just can't change the sidebar as much as I'd like.

Posted

tried thunar?

Posted

tried thunar?

It's XFCE based, so probably would have the same issue as Dolphin being KDE. Though I don't know that for sure.

Posted

It's XFCE based, so probably would have the same issue as Dolphin being KDE. Though I don't know that for sure.

Nah, Dolphi's one of a very small handful that uses QT, the rest primarily GTK, including Thunar. Not a fan of Thunar myself, kind of lacking on features, but that's opinion of course, judge for yourself.

Posted

I use nautilus love it

Posted

Here's a few more you might want to play around with:

[*]andromeda

Posted

Thanks guys, great list of options.

Posted

I am not a KDE fan but I find Dolphin far and away better than anythnig else out there.

Posted

I use Thunar myself. I don't need much from my file browser. As long as it lets me browse my file system and devices, and lets me open terminal prompts, that's enough for me.

I've never used Dolphin (never been a fan of KDE), but I've heard very good things.

Posted

Windows Explorer.

Posted

Windows Explorer.

Which isn't exactly practical on Linux.

Posted

Which isn't exactly practical on Linux.

and many say its not even a file manager. :woot: :woot: