Question

Posted

Hey,

So I thought since I have been posting quite a few threads lately, and it will probably continue, that I would create a single thread for all my questions.

First question to start the thread off is this...

So I just wiped my drive. I opened up Gparted and deleted and formated the drive. I then installed Ubuntu onto it, booted into the system, and did some updates. I just randomly checked the Trash and there was a file in it that I deleted before I wiped my system.

How is that possible? Now I know most of my other drives have lost+found folders, and I think one might have had one called Trashed. Do they some how hold that information?

72 answers to this question

Posted

Can you tell us what options you went through using GParted?

Posted

I selected the drive, right click delete (all three partitions, swap etc)

Then Right Click New, created the partition, and that was it. I didn't do another format because I assumed deleting a partition does the same thing.

Posted

Already have some more questions.

What is the best way to un-install programs? Through the Software Centre, Synaptic....or something else?

Also, the best/favorite themes for Ubuntu 12.04 Unity?

Posted

lost+found is the folder like recycle bin in Windows it holds the information about the lost files, but since you format (during installation ?), so its weird that it hold the previous information.
Software center is based on Synaptic manager, so both are same for installing/uninstalling programs.
As for as themes, I think it depends on your own taste :)

Posted

Well seems weird yes, but everything else is fine. So I dunno lol

Well on my previous install I remember uninstalling LibreOffice with Software Centre, then later looking for it in Synaptic and it still having parts of it installed.

Yes I know it comes down to taste, but I have only found mediterranean Night as one I like, would love to see more that people like to see whats out there.

Posted

[quote name='bman' timestamp='1359177615' post='595480394']
I selected the drive, right click delete (all three partitions, swap etc)

Then Right Click New, created the partition, and that was it. I didn't do another format because I assumed deleting a partition does the same thing.
[/quote]

What is odd is that had you installed Ubuntu over the newly created partition scheme - this process would have been done twice.

Did you bring anything over from a previous installation?

Posted

[quote name='bman' timestamp='1359212770' post='595481006']
Well seems weird yes, but everything else is fine. So I dunno lol

Well on my previous install I remember uninstalling LibreOffice with Software Centre, then later looking for it in Synaptic and it still having parts of it installed.

Yes I know it comes down to taste, but I have only found mediterranean Night as one I like, would love to see more that people like to see whats out there.
[/quote]

Open terminal and run
[CODE]
sudo apt-get autoremove
[/CODE]

This'll clean up any installed packages that are no longer needed.

[CODE]
sudo apt-get clean
[/CODE]

And this'll clean up the temp mess left behind.

Posted

[quote name='tim_s' timestamp='1359212970' post='595481014']
What is odd is that had you installed Ubuntu over the newly created partition scheme - this process would have been done twice.

Did you bring anything over from a previous installation?
[/quote]

No, I have the main drive which was wiped and have Ubuntu installed, then I have 4 other drives with media on it.

[quote name='wargecko' timestamp='1359213462' post='595481022']
Open terminal and run
[CODE]
sudo apt-get autoremove
[/CODE]

This'll clean up any installed packages that are no longer needed.

[CODE]
sudo apt-get clean
[/CODE]

And this'll clean up the temp mess left behind.
[/quote]

Thanks, I will use that.

If I go and try to remove something and get this message. Is it safe to uninstall the application?

Posted

[quote name='bman' timestamp='1359214220' post='595481038']
If I go and try to remove something and get this message. Is it safe to uninstall the application?
[/quote]

I can understand how the "ubuntu-desktop" package looks a little intimidating to uninstall. However, it won't actually affect your system in any practical way. It is merely a meta-package that installs nothing by itself but depends on other packages in the repository. That way, if you choose to install "ubuntu-desktop", every package that is included in your release of Ubuntu by default will be installed. If you uninstall it, the packages it depends on will [i]still[/i] be installed unless you explicitly choose to remove them. Software Center is probably telling you to remove it because you selected to remove an application it depends on. That's OK. Remove it.

Posted

Thanks, I figured it would be safe but thought I'd check lol

I'm getting a bit crazy with questions, but seems I am getting more attention here then on the Ubuntu forums at the moment so...

What about a good screensaver? I have been using Electric Sheep for awhile now, the best I could ever find on any OS, but maybe there are some I have missed. Suggestions?

And no one really answered my themes question..I know it's opinion, that's why I come here :)

Posted

My screensaver is a black screen. The days when burn-in was a serious concern for most users have long past. Since I'm not at my computer to see the screensaver anyway, there's no point in choosing one. Of course, that's just my preference. I realize that many people still like to have a nice screensaver.

Posted

Yea, burn-in is not my concern. I just enjoy a good screensaver and do see it most of the time.

I went and installed the the extras for xscreensaver and there is actually a quite nice matrix screensaver part of it. Going to use that for now.

Posted

So I came across a new problem today.

I thought it was related to Steam but I just tried another file and have the same issue.

Trying to install applications with .deb files and the Software Centre is giving me an error.

NOT FOUND
There isn

Posted

[quote name='bman' timestamp='1359337236' post='595484328']

I thought it was related to Steam but I just tried another file and have the same issue.

Trying to install applications with .deb files and the Software Centre is giving me an error.

NOT FOUND
There isn

Posted

I have tried the "allow execution" with no luck.

This is the first time ever having this problem. I think there is something more going on though. Maybe something I accidentally removed from my system?

Posted

[quote name='bman' timestamp='1359214220' post='595481038']
No, I have the main drive which was wiped and have Ubuntu installed, then I have 4 other drives with media on it.
[/quote]
there's your answer most likely. in linux every drive has a recycle bin. so the file in your recycle bin that you are seeing is most likely from one of the other four drives you have plugged in

Posted

[quote name='Brando212' timestamp='1359339104' post='595484382']
there's your answer most likely. in linux every drive has a recycle bin. so the file in your recycle bin that you are seeing is most likely from one of the other four drives you have plugged in
[/quote]

Thanks, I figured that was the case, a logical explanation, just wanted to hear someone say it.

Posted

[quote name='bman' timestamp='1359339234' post='595484384']
Thanks, I figured that was the case, a logical explanation, just wanted to hear someone say it.
[/quote]yeah, windows does this too to some extent, with external hard-drives at least. but Unix does it with every storage device, whether it be hard-drive or flash-drive or SD card

Posted

NOT FOUND
There isn

Posted

[quote name='Brando212' timestamp='1359339104' post='595484382']

[/quote]

Was "the file" that was added to the trash bin from the external media?

Posted

Yes, thought that was clear.

Now please move onto my latest question.

Posted

NOT FOUND
There isn

Posted

Well the .deb does open Software Centre, it's what gives the error.

And those might work, but I'd rather try and find a solution because it makes no sense.

Posted

[quote name='bman' timestamp='1359413055' post='595486352']
Well the .deb does open Software Centre, it's what gives the error.

And those might work, but I'd rather try and find a solution because it makes no sense.
[/quote]

When you double click the .deb I assume its from the file manager? What file manager are you using? It should definitely work with nautilus, but if you are using a different file manager its possible that the file manager is feeding the software-center with some URI that it doesn't understand (I've seen pcmanfm do this kind of thing before I think), although according to that bug report the [b]file:[/b] URI should be supported by software-center :/

Posted

Your a genius. I didn't think that could have been a problem.

I am using PCManFM at the moment, and I tried launching the .deb file in default nautilus and it works like normal.

So I guess the question is, why is PCManFM having an issue and is there any solution? Not the biggest hassle to get these things installed obviously, but I would rather be able to do it from my choice of file manager.