Photo

ASUS VivoBook (Q200E) SSD Upgrade Problems.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ramzorz

ramzorz

Neowinian

Posted 27 January 2013 - 00:24

Immediately after purchasing the Q200E, I swapped out the hard drive for an SSD. The BIOS reads the drive correctly as well as the USB device I'm using to install Windows, the only problem is that every time I start the PC, it goes directly into the BIOS. I changed the boot order and made two diffrent USB bootable drives and tried different USB ports. Why isn't it booting to the USB drive?

EDIT: I'm using WinToFlash to make the USB bootable disk. I'm trying Power ISO at the moment to see if this program will work instead.

#2 OP ramzorz

ramzorz

Neowinian

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:00

No help? :/

#3 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:30

in the bios, for SATA type,make sure its type is set to AHCI

#4 OP ramzorz

ramzorz

Neowinian

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:33

Yeah, it's set to AHCI.

#5 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:36

what happens if you exit bios and choose don't save settings? does it continue the boot process?

#6 OP ramzorz

ramzorz

Neowinian

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:40

It just boots automatically right into the BIOS. :(

#7 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:09

so let me get this straight,if you disconnect the ssd and plug in the hard drive,it boots fine?

#8 OP ramzorz

ramzorz

Neowinian

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:55

Yep, that is true. I have NO idea either. This is extremely annoying. I'm being forced to use Windows 8 at the moment, and I'm not really enjoying it much...

#9 OP ramzorz

ramzorz

Neowinian

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:16

Someone HAS to have the answer! :cry:

#10 OP ramzorz

ramzorz

Neowinian

Posted 27 January 2013 - 17:48

I tried installing Windows from my desktop onto the SSD, but it still won't boot from it. Any ideas?

#11 cybertimber2008

cybertimber2008

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 January 2013 - 19:25

I wonder if this is because of SecureBoot? Disable that and see if it boots to SSD as it does on your HDD?

#12 ikjadoon

ikjadoon

Neowinian

Posted 27 January 2013 - 19:36

Immediately after purchasing the Q200E, I swapped out the hard drive for an SSD. The BIOS reads the drive correctly as well as the USB device I'm using to install Windows, the only problem is that every time I start the PC, it goes directly into the BIOS. I changed the boot order and made two diffrent USB bootable drives and tried different USB ports. Why isn't it booting to the USB drive?

EDIT: I'm using WinToFlash to make the USB bootable disk. I'm trying Power ISO at the moment to see if this program will work instead.

Why not use the official Microsoft tool to make the USB bootable? See this guide: http://www.maximumpc...ash_drive_31384

Also even if the USB drive is bootable, you have to explicity select it; I'm unsure if changing the boot order is enough. Mash those F# keys (F8 is a good one to start with) during boot up and soon you'll be able to choose exactly which drive you want to boot from.

#13 Michael Lacey

Michael Lacey

Neowinian

Posted 27 January 2013 - 19:47

Check in the BIOS to make sure any CSM options are enabled and any Legacy Boot options are enabled. Secure boot should be disabled if it's there.

#14 OP ramzorz

ramzorz

Neowinian

Posted 27 January 2013 - 19:59

Why not use the official Microsoft tool to make the USB bootable? See this guide: http://www.maximumpc...ash_drive_31384

Also even if the USB drive is bootable, you have to explicity select it; I'm unsure if changing the boot order is enough. Mash those F# keys (F8 is a good one to start with) during boot up and soon you'll be able to choose exactly which drive you want to boot from.

I recently made a start up USB drive with that program about an hour ago and the BIOS won't detect it at all. : Also, I've selected the USB from the selective boot as you've mentioned (ESC key).

Also, Michael, I've gone through nearly every single thing in the BIOS and tried various configurations, but I will look again specifically with those instructions and I'll return with results.

It's just the BIOS' fault for not booting up from the USB I assume. It really doesn't have to be this complicated. :((

#15 OP ramzorz

ramzorz

Neowinian

Posted 27 January 2013 - 20:21

Success! I don't know WHAT I did, but I did it. I just enabled pretty much anything that has to do with booting and drives and I got the Windows 7 Installation to run off of the USB drive, but now It's showing me some driver issues. >__<

I don't think anyone has ever installed Windows 7 on any of these notebooks and it may not be compatible. It can't find the driver for my SSD I'm assuming. :s

EDIT: This thread can be marked as solved. For some reason, I removed the SSD, put it back into the computer and it recognized it again. :) Now I'm installing Windows 7 and I will upgrade it to Windows 8 as soon as it's done. :D Thanks for the help guys.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!