cleveland siegel and shuster society s-shield plates

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,013 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 16:57

COLUMBUS, Ohio, Jan. 31 (UPI) -- The Ohio House of Representatives is considering a bill that would allow drivers to have Superman-themed license plates, officials said.

The bill was introduced to the House Wednesday and is awaiting committee assignment, The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer reported.

State Rep. Bill Patmon said he wants the Superman plates to be available in 2013, the 75th anniversary of the first appearance of Superman in comic books.

The plates will feature the Superman insignia and the slogan "Truth, Justice & the American Way," and will honor Clevelanders Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, who created Superman in Glenville during the Great Depression.

Michael Olszewski, president of the Siegel and Shuster Society, said he couldn't wait for the day the plates will be available.

"The enthusiastic response to the proposed license plates was overwhelming," he said. "We had people lining up to sign the state petitions. We expect to see thousands of the S-Shield plates on the road ... maybe tens of thousands."

Posted Image

Patmon said he does not expect the bill to face opposition in the House, and that it must pass the Senate and be signed by the governor before the plates will be available.

source

#2 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,499 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 17:04

All these problems in America and we're passing bills about Superman themed license plates? I mean it's cool and all, but I think we have are priorities mixed up.

#3 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 22:13

We have some strange lawmakers in Ohio.

#4 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,608 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 22:15

I thought Superman dropped the American way.

#5 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 22:19

All these problems in America and we're passing bills about Superman themed license plates? I mean it's cool and all, but I think we have are priorities mixed up.

This is part of the solution to those problems. Many problems revolve around money. The government makes a good profit on custom plates so while small, this isn't really a bad thing.

#6 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:10

That's a very cool idea to honor two of their own.

#7 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 9,036 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:15

You guys don't have personalised plates in the states?

Heaps available in QLD Australia. http://www.ppq.com.au

#8 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

• 1,445 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:18

Right now, it's a bit interesting in Ohio. Republican Governor, House, and Senate majorities.

The haven't gone off the deep end with power like other states have yet.

Ex. The "heatbeat" anti-abortion bill been stalled by republican's. And Governor wants to increase license tax on oil and drilling (shale gas boom starting) to off set tax cuts and facing opposition.

In addition, the previous democratic governor, and current republican governor, try to avoid major cuts to state funded college's (as much as possible).

I personally think the plates would be cool :)
If it wasn't' for the my current plates supporting a health cause, I would get these.

#9 +Ichigo+

+Ichigo+

Remember to put something here

• 341 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:35

Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster are both Canadian's though ? so Why is Ohio getting special plates and not here. :(

#10 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,026 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:42

well, its time to do some modification in state prison's plates making machine.

#11 jorel009

jorel009

Neowinian

• 166 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:43

Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster are both Canadian's though ? so Why is Ohio getting special plates and not here. :(

only shuster is, and yeah we learn about him in canada its pretty cool.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Joe_Shuster

#12 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,858 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 03 February 2013 - 14:06

Actually with people being so preoccupied with deficits, jobs, etc then I think distractions like this are a good thing sometimes!

#13 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 13:41

You guys don't have personalised plates in the states?

Heaps available in QLD Australia. http://www.ppq.com.au

We do but there is a limit. The first and obvious limit is the characters that end up on the plate can never be something the automated system generates at any point for obvious reasons. The second limit is that you can only use designs that have been approved by that particular state. Here is Oklahoma as an example: http://www.tax.ok.gov/sp1.html

#14 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,169 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 04 February 2013 - 13:45

Yup, here in Ohio we cannot afford to pay school teachers and we keep making huge cuts to schools and public transportation however, we have ever increasing politician salaries, budgets for state owned pets, and committees that were formed to solve road construction problems that see construction jobs near my home town extending from 1998 until 2018. But at least we can have superman plates to hold us by while we wait in traffic for 30 minutes a day in rural ohio.

#15 bdsams

bdsams

Neowinian Senior

• 11,690 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 13:50

Yup, here in Ohio we cannot afford to pay school teachers and we keep making huge cuts to schools and public transportation however, we have ever increasing politician salaries, budgets for state owned pets, and committees that were formed to solve road construction problems that see construction jobs near my home town extending from 1998 until 2018. But at least we can have superman plates to hold us by while we wait in traffic for 30 minutes a day in rural ohio.

You do realize that these plates come at a premium that goes into the state's coffers to pay for public services? So, by adding a desirable plate to the selection, it will help to increase the revenue.