Photo

Why is it getting harder to find a wired mouse?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#46 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:48

Seems odd the solution to poor battery performance was to buy a wired mouse instead of just plugging the mouse you had in at night, but what do I know.

I mean, expecting (or advertising) 30 days out of a "performance" mouse of any kind is a bit silly. A decent mouse should be able to go a few days though, even my G700 can do that at the highest polling rate.

the MX can do 30 days easy. the problem was that a lot of MX mice where shipped with crappy batteries, Logitechs supplier gave them batteries that had lower maH and in general sucked, so some people got the good batteries and some got the bad. the bad ones also charged bad, so for those with replaceable Lithoum batteries logitech would send replacements, for those with non replaceable batteries logitech just replaced the mouse, and for those with regular NiCd rechargeables they sent replacements, despite the problem with these often being user fault for charging wrong. Not doing the long first time charge, and "spot" charging them instead of waiting for the battery to get low before recharging and semi regularly let the batteries drain completely or nearly so.

#47 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:52

I used a wireless mouse/keyboard for a while, but they had so many issues that I ended up returning them. I just don't see much reason to use a wireless one over a wired one (It'll cost more and it needs charging), it's not like I'll be taking the mouse around the house with me, etc.

And I fail to see how being able to use it via a cable is apparently a benefit to a wireless mouse, that just makes it a more expensive wired one.

#48 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:56

I love my wired mouse. I have gone through about 3 wireless mice (2 for laptops) and I find that wireless mice are just not accurate enough. Aside from gaming, I use Phtoshop a little bit and sometimes I need to be accurate within a pixel or 2. For precision and accuracy they are really incompetent, but for every day use it may not be not noticeable,. And despite the speed of wireless these days, they still do lag, even if it's for a fraction of a second.

Wired mice all the way for me

ummm, accuracy is the same on wired or wirless unless you have a LOT of RF noise on the WHOLE 2.4 specter, which seem unlikely, as for lag, yeah wireless mouse do still lag, pretty much exactly as much as a wired mouse does.

what you need for pixel perfect job is a high dpi mouse, not a wired one, which incidentally puts you in gaming mouse territory like the G700. One would think you'd rather use a decently sized tablet for photoshop editing though.

I used a wireless mouse/keyboard for a while, but they had so many issues that I ended up returning them. I just don't see much reason to use a wireless one over a wired one (It'll cost more and it needs charging), it's not like I'll be taking the mouse around the house with me, etc.

And I fail to see how being able to use it via a cable is apparently a benefit to a wireless mouse, that just makes it a more expensive wired one.

Because wired mice don't have that annoying wire that tangles up and gets in the way and makes the front lag by dragging around. and then the cable fall down and you can't pull the mouse enough towards you and... just countless wire annoyances.

as for the wire, you use it just to charge, BUT if you forget to charge and you use a game wireless mouse like the G700, at high polling high data transfer high USB speed gamer settings, and you forget to charge it over night, then it's nice to be able to just plug in the cable and still be able to play on in an out of battery emergency. but just plugging in every night prevents that.

#49 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:57

I really loved the Performance MX but it only got about 3 days on a battery charge. the Logitech forums are packed full of unhappy Perf MX users like myself.

Either you guys are 24 hours a day on a PC (which is not good; Go outside, work or something) or your mouse is broken. I have a Performance MX. And from Friday to Monday, Im about it the whole day and part of the the long night and the bar doesn't even go down. It may go down ONE bar on Tuesday but that's about it...This mouse is VERY long lasting.

Having said that, I still preferred my old Revolution MX

My problem with wireless mice is that afaik AES encryption only gets applied to the keyboard connection and the mouse movements are sent unencrypted.

Another paranoid security freak.....

For someone to sniff the connection they would have to be near the client (mouse) and the server (receptor) as far as I know, usually people use their PCs from a arms distance. If someone was sniffing you, YOU WOULD ****ING SEE THEM.......If you don't, you just deserve to be sniffed.

Its nothing against you primexx but there are too many people obsessed with security issues when out of the box and using some common sense, most are avoidable (like this one)

#50 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:00

You don't see the benefit of using a wireless keyboard/mouse? Lol You're trolling right?

#51 68k

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:01

I still use older wired IBM/Lenovo/HP/Compaq mice from the early 2000s. They're really ergonomic. You can still get them on eBay (even in bulk lots).

#52 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:05

Oh and people complaing about battery issues: DONT BUY FROM ****ty BRANDS. You get what you pay for. I have a Logitech and the last time I changed its two AAA batteries must be about 2 years ago. I am very impressed with it as the battery life is nonexistent as you don't even remember it is on batteries.

You don't see the benefit of using a wireless keyboard/mouse? Lol You're trolling right?

In part I agree; A wireless keyboard is pointless.....You pretty much don't move it at all. The only time it really uses all of its potentional is a media center home PC. For most standard home users and ESPECIALLY gamers, its pointless.

Mouse on the other hand, is a different story. You are moving the mouse almost NONSTOP. It basically HAS to be wireless. At my work I have a wired and at home a wireless and I can tell you that there is a difference in the wrist. Granded, my mouse is of higher quality but nonetheless, I notice it at the end of the day

#53 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:48

I like how this turned into a wireless VS wired thread, completely unrelated to the OP.
I like wired, I'm happy with all the wired products I have, I will not be switching to wireless until all my peripihals break and they stop producing wired devices.
Now, can people move on and stop going on rants of why wireless is better than wired or vice versa?

All the wired mice I've got have came from a local 'crappy' independant PC store that shut down years ago and pc-world after it shut down, last one I got 3 years ago was a 'laser mouse' from pc-world... One thing to note about pc-world is they are noutoriously full of ****, the mouse was NOT laser and was LED, how did they get away with it? The brand was 'laser' but you didn't know that until you've bought it, taken it home and taken it out that darn plastic wrap.

#54 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:01

Can't stand wireless ANYTHING (except for internet) which even at that, I very seldom use as all of my laptops are hard wired for that also.

Besides the weight of the batteries in a mouse and the cost after time, to me, they just suck!

I even use wired mice and keyboards on all of my laptops as I definitely can't stand that pointer controller on a laptop.

Not a gamer anyway, so don't need a radical mouse. My 3 button, wired, optical mouse cost $12.97 all day long at the computer store I get them from. Wouldn't pay no $40 for a mouse ever!

#55 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:24

I like how this turned into a wireless VS wired thread, completely unrelated to the OP.
I like wired, I'm happy with all the wired products I have, I will not be switching to wireless until all my peripihals break and they stop producing wired devices.
Now, can people move on and stop going on rants of why wireless is better than wired or vice versa?

All the wired mice I've got have came from a local 'crappy' independant PC store that shut down years ago and pc-world after it shut down, last one I got 3 years ago was a 'laser mouse' from pc-world... One thing to note about pc-world is they are noutoriously full of ****, the mouse was NOT laser and was LED, how did they get away with it? The brand was 'laser' but you didn't know that until you've bought it, taken it home and taken it out that darn plastic wrap.

I guess we can all stop posting now because as Chief of Forum Police, it's evident we have no right to post about our own experiences and hold a discussion based upon points brought up in this thread.

Forgive me master. /s

Now, can you please move on from playing forum police, since well...you're not?

#56 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:30

I guess we can all stop posting now because as Chief of Forum Police, it's evident we have no right to post about our own experiences and hold a discussion based upon points brought up in this thread.

Forgive me master. /s

Now, can you please move on from playing forum police, since well...you're not?

Do it in a different thread, OP just wants to know where to get a wired mouse from and why it's getting harder to find one, don't really think they care for your experiances.

#57 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:46

Do it in a different thread, OP just wants to know where to get a wired mouse from and why it's getting harder to find one, don't really think they care for your experiances.

Ohhhh well in that case, his question was answered in the second post of this thread. I suppose everything else after that was completely useless. Including your posts. You're welcome to move along at any time. Whoops, I forgot you're forced to read every single post on this forum....except you're not. :rolleyes:

P.S. Your experiences don't belong in this thread....

#58 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:03

Because wired mice don't have that annoying wire that tangles up and gets in the way and makes the front lag by dragging around. and then the cable fall down and you can't pull the mouse enough towards you and... just countless wire annoyances.

as for the wire, you use it just to charge, BUT if you forget to charge and you use a game wireless mouse like the G700, at high polling high data transfer high USB speed gamer settings, and you forget to charge it over night, then it's nice to be able to just plug in the cable and still be able to play on in an out of battery emergency. but just plugging in every night prevents that.

I've pretty much never run into problems with the mouse cable being caught on things, but I leave enough slack in the cable that I don't need to pull it towards me to be able to move it, etc.

Uh, no. I don't see the benefit in a device that costs more and needs to be recharged, compared to one that doesn't.

#59 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:42

Well I don't think there's cords that reach 15 feet, which is how far my computer is from where I sit.
Well I guess maybe there's extensions, but then cords would be in the way and look awful going across my floor.
And as for batteries, I guess in almost a year I spent around 5 to 10 dollars for batteries,
but that's AA batteries for my wireless touchpad, keyboard, mouse, and 2 xbox controllers.

#60 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 February 2013 - 13:01

Simple... it is a plot by the battery industry to keep you buying their products.