Photo

Slow download speed from TalkTalk (UK ISP)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ady199

ady199

Neowinian

Posted 01 February 2013 - 20:12

My parents have just had a broadband connection installed through TalkTalk (UK ISP) - The modem sync's at 8529mbps - but whenever they try to download anything they are getting speeds of under 1mbps.

I've gone round to their house this evening and tested a couple of things, one of the tests I done was to test the connection through a wired connection instead of a wireless connection but the speed test was virtually the same @ around 1mbps.

I used a number of speed test sites including speedtest.net and downloaded something from Microsoft and Apple but all tests would only allow me to download @ 1mbps or under.

Can anyone suggest anything to increase the download speed?, surely if the router has synced @ 8529mbps I should be able to download near to that rate.

Thanks in advance

#2 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 35

Posted 01 February 2013 - 20:16

What does your network look like, do you connect directly to the modem or do you have a router? Do you have any other network equipment that you connect to. Is there any way you can eliminate any of those and connect directly to the modem for a test?

Are you using cat5 or better cables or cat3?

#3 OP ady199

ady199

Neowinian

Posted 01 February 2013 - 20:19

Hi, Thanks for your reply - the router has a built in modem and connects directly to the telephone master socket

#4 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 35

Posted 01 February 2013 - 20:23

Please answer the rest of the questions.

Also you can try moving to a different socket...damn you UK people and not having the same connections as US.

#5 ZakO

ZakO

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 February 2013 - 20:28

Not much help but I had the same problem with TalkTalk (at two different houses), 8mbit sync, less than 1mbit in actual use. Solved in both cases by switching to a better ISP.

Try taking off the faceplate for the master socket and plugging into the test socket:

Posted Image

#6 Fish

Fish

Slamdunk the funk

Posted 01 February 2013 - 20:30

Talktalk have their own speed checker http://myaccount.tal.../speed-checker/ which will send the data to their "engineers" if there is a problem. I suggest you try that route first before trying to diagnose a problem at your parent's end.

Talktalk seem to consistently come out as one of the worst ISP's, for both connection/speed issues and customer service, so honestly, good luck dealing with them.

#7 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro | Xubuntu | OSX Yosemite| Server 2012 R2 | Ubuntu Server
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 01 February 2013 - 20:40

Just to confirm, we're not misusing terms and referring to an 8Mbit connection and < 1MegaByte per sec download rate? Because that would be about right.