Network Project in Hospital

I am working on a project in a hospital for a lighted sign company. Like when you walk into a mall and you see a lighted directory sign...the difference is that the pictures are moving ...another words the picture is being fed from another location outside the hospital. From what I've been told it's over an Internet that requires a connection to an office in another state and also using computers in the hospital dedicated solely to feeding these moving pictures.

When I was there I was able to verify the network signal was "good" by seeing the lights on my wire tester showed lights 1,4 6 & 7 were solidly on with a connection that successfully had the moving picture fed to it...lit when others didn't. Basically I have the wire tester I have get plugged with the RJ-45 connection from the Ethernet cable plugging into the RJ-45 jack in the wall which connects via cable to an IDF rack.

The techs out of state had tried to log into another computer with an advanced version of LogMeIn that works in under the shell or so I was explained they could log in without Windows even putting the password in.

With this computer with the connections I had tested "good" i.e. 1,4, 6 & 7 lights lit solid the tech was still not able to see the computer.

Why would this be? Is it because even though the signal is there doesn't mean there's an Internet connection?

Thanks in advanced for any helpful answer.

Yea with the light tester you've verified the physical layer (the lowest layer) but nothing above it. Does the computer have an IP address? Does it have a gateway? Can you ping the gateway? Can you ping beyond the gateway (e.g. google.com)? Do nslookups fail? Is the advanced version of LogMeIn working/started?

Lots of reasons beyond a cable to look at. Start with the above ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah start with the obvious. Where is the PC getting its IP address from? Is is using a VPN (Or WAN link even) to another site? It better be otherwise they might look embarrassed one day when they get hacked and someone changes the signs.

Standard network equipment communicates on the following wires 1,2,3,6. This is required for 10Mb/s or 100Mb/s communication on standard equipment...a cross would be 1-3 2-6 (or simply reversing the pairs on one end). 4,5,7,8 are either for power over ethernet or gig. I don't know how you can qualify the cable as good being that the pairs required for standard network communications are not lighting up. Get those wires to light up and you will have your internet connection, provided that the port you are connecting to is part of a vlan that routes out to the internet.