UK Car Recommendations

Alas, no VW's of appropriate size are within range of my address. :(

As for the Skoda's... There's a couple in my range, but they seem to have an even higher tax band than my Vectra did! I'm not looking to increase costs! :p The Vectra is a tax band H, so I'm looking for something smaller, with probably either a 1.4 or 1.6 litre engine (depending on car size - a 1.4 is fine in a Corsa, not so much in a Focus!)

How far are you prepared to travel?

Have you considered a car auction?

Have you considered brand new/lease hire type of purchase?

How far are you prepared to travel?

Have you considered a car auction?

Have you considered brand new/lease hire type of purchase?

Up to about 30 miles realistically (I'm in Kent). I have no transport right now as they've taken the courtesy car back, so getting around is a complete <bleep!> currently! I literally -can't- go too far.

I've considered auctions, but I'd prefer from a dealer. Auctions are always sold as seen and I've been stuck with a total lemon from one once before.

With a budget of ?7000, new is out of the window for the size I'm looking for. I'm not looking to lease as that would actually cost more than loan repayments would.

Up to about 30 miles realistically (I'm in Kent). I have no transport right now as they've taken the courtesy car back, so getting around is a complete <bleep!> currently! I literally -can't- go too far.

I've considered auctions, but I'd prefer from a dealer. Auctions are always sold as seen and I've been stuck with a total lemon from one once before.

With a budget of ?7000, new is out of the window for the size I'm looking for. I'm not looking to lease as that would actually cost more than loan repayments would.

K', I think its a buyers market just now, be patient,

Have a look @ Ebay Motors(classified),I think the prices there are high, like high end dealer prices, compare those prices to your local dealers, also use the parkers price guide to help you decide,

Most dealers will haggle a bit, but initially give the impression that they wont,

The last "trade car" I bought was on ebay motors, I asked the trader; " OK, whats the least you can take on this car?", he come down ?800 on that question alone.

But the last "dealer" car I bought I paid showroom price because I went for a trade in, but at least I got some warranty with the deal..

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/prices/used/

Yeah, I love haggling. The last thing I want when I go to a dealer, though, is for them to realise I need a car urgently. That'll shut down any chance of haggling REAL fast! :p

My dad's coming up at the weekend with his nice new BMW; so I plan to be spending most of it driving his car to various dealers, looking for a "second car". ;)

I'm thinking maybe something like a Renault Megane, a Ford Focus or possibly a Vauxhall Astra, but I'll welcome any suggestions!

Having being a big fan on the Astra as a hot hatch over the last several years, yesterday I picked up a Megane for something slightly bigger with plenty of leg room in the back seats, even with the front pushed back. Being 6'2 I haven't really had any problems with the car's I've driven as they've all had rake on the steering wheel. I'm very pleased with it so far, but I'm aware of problems with the car that could arise such as the key card's becoming dead. Quite a cost to have them replaced (around ?150 a go), so do try and do a bit of a check on common problems that you might be faced with and try to factor that in.

I highly recommend that you visit a few places and take the cars you're interested in on a test drive. Simply things such as the clutch they use can be a real big turn off for a lot of people, and generally across the range of same year the likes of Vauxhall is going to be using the same technology where it can so you'll know pretty much what you're looking at when you think about cars. I prefer the slightly harder clutch on the Astra, but still prefer the Megan's over a Volvo's S60. One of the biggest things that won me over with the Megan was the ride height was quite high, it feels almost mini-van style. I took a KIA Sportage for a test drive and while that was a tall 4x4 car the ride height felt quite low and I found it quite worrying that I couldn't see over the sides properly.

For most test drives from a dealer (even used cars), you won't even need your own insurance to cover it just a valid driving license. So go have some fun in the cars, see what you like and then go from there.

As for cost of insurance, the base line is where you live so as long as you've got a lot of extra points on your license, the only real issue is the size of engine. Of course there are other factors such as if its a hard sports car or import etc but the family/business cars you're generally looking at you shouldn't have to worry too much.

Yeah, I love haggling. The last thing I want when I go to a dealer, though, is for them to realise I need a car urgently. That'll shut down any chance of haggling REAL fast! :p

My dad's coming up at the weekend with his nice new BMW; so I plan to be spending most of it driving his car to various dealers, looking for a "second car". ;)

Aye, I've used a 'no rush' tactic. If I'm traveling quite a distance, I'll either park actually take the train or park close by and give them a call for directions explaining I've just come up on train, stopping by to look at a car before I continue on with my journey to visit family. Making it sound like, I'm in no rush at all but most importantly, it'll be their last and only chance for them to give me a sweet deal to secure a deal with them.

Takes a bit of prep though, as they'll generally ask you about were your family are about the area in small talk, so unless you know the area you're suggesting you're visiting family, pick a village/town and read up a bit of information and use google maps street view. It's not all about the con, sometimes having small talk and chit-chat with them can make you come across more friendly and you build a small friendship. It can do wonders if they like you :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I made my choice! Vauxhall Astra 1.6i Active Plus on a 2009 plate. ?6.5k with only 20k miles on the clock.

Great choice, I was tempted to go with another Astra myself.

Now that you've had it a month, how's it working out for you? Any niggles, or things you've had to get sorted? Is it everything you wanted and are you enjoying it?

Great choice, I was tempted to go with another Astra myself.

Now that you've had it a month, how's it working out for you? Any niggles, or things you've had to get sorted? Is it everything you wanted and are you enjoying it?

I'm absolutely loving it! It's a great runner, I love the button start/stop stuff and all the other gadgets. It's a comfy ride, quite nippy, and fuel economy is good too.

Now I just need to get hold of the ****** that bumped it in the carpark and then sodded off without leaving me a note. Scratched my rear passenger door and dented the rear wheel arch. I can't believe my luck! :( ?200 worth of damage! AAARRGGHH! :angry:

I'm absolutely loving it! It's a great runner, I love the button start/stop stuff and all the other gadgets. It's a comfy ride, quite nippy, and fuel economy is good too.

Now I just need to get hold of the ****** that bumped it in the carpark and then sodded off without leaving me a note. Scratched my rear passenger door and dented the rear wheel arch. I can't believe my luck! :( ?200 worth of damage! AAARRGGHH! :angry:

Glad you like it. I got the push button start too, keyless entry/start etc... a bit weird not using a key. I always reach to turn it or go to grab at it to turn the car off lol.

Shame about the bump tho, hopefully the other car came worse off :ermm:

Since having my car, one of the back windows failed. Walked up to the car, doors unlocked, back window wound all the way down, this was at 11pm with heavy rain on the way.. Spent best part of 4 hours messing about with it before finding a fix to get it up. another 30 minutes pulling and replacing fuses while locking and unlocking the car got the window up. Terrible design for a hardware component fail... and someone also managed to ever so lightly scratch the wheel arch just enough to take paint of the edge. Like you, no note or anything and I only saw it when I went to wash it... Ahh the joys of a car...

At least it's not a motorcycle - you could come back to your bike with some parents sitting their kids on it... :angry:

It either happened at the dentists, or ASDA; sometime between a Tuesday and Thursday (I washed it Monday, found it Friday morning). I've no hope of getting CCTV footage. :/

Yep, crap like that happens :(. I'd had my MiTo 2 days before somebody left me a nice present in my driver's door. No idea how, either - I always make a point of parking miles from any other car!!